Clunky technology in biglaw? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Clunky technology in biglaw?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 21, 2022 10:35 pm

Just finished my first week of my summer associate position at a V20 firm. Maybe I'm too used to Apple products, but the laptop, computer, and general technology felt very clunky. I feel like I'm stuck in 2010 with the technology we have here.

Are there any biglaw firms with above average technology?

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: Clunky technology in biglaw?

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Sun May 22, 2022 7:19 pm

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "clunky"? Hardware, whatever, you can buy yourself a nice keyboard and mouse (or ask IT to hook you up). Software, kind of a necessary evil given the IT demands of a law firm.

The problem might truly just be that you're too used to Apple products. Query whether stuff will feel more fluid once you actually know what you're doing.

SNightHighlights

New

Post by SNightHighlights » Mon May 23, 2022 12:14 am

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 7:19 pm
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "clunky"? Hardware, whatever, you can buy yourself a nice keyboard and mouse (or ask IT to hook you up). Software, kind of a necessary evil given the IT demands of a law firm.

The problem might truly just be that you're too used to Apple products. Query whether stuff will feel more fluid once you actually know what you're doing.
I think the OP might just not be used to the corporate Lenovo lagtop lifestyle. Firms have to install so much security and internal software on the laptops that they get to be pretty slow and clunky to use. It would definitely be a rude awakening if switching over to a Macbook. I will say that (1) when you get used to it and (2) get a nice desktop monitor and keyboard setup it gets to be much more fluid but it's still a laggy corporate computer setup.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Mon May 23, 2022 12:24 am

I guess? If that's the whole idea, rather like a FedEx driver complaining their van doesn't handle like a Tesla. Even if that were technically feasible (anyone who's done enterprise IT will confirm it isn't), it wouldn't be worth the money.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2022 12:31 am

Also as a summer you're not getting the brand new laptops, it's probably several years old and been through a few people. Just where you are in the pecking order. I was just assigned a new one and it's a million times faster.

But yeah overall tech is not great. It's generic PC with security bloatware and cloud based shared systems that require fast internet to work. Welcome to the grown up world.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2022 2:56 am

Former FAANG here. Things just worked better and internal systems were pretty seamless and smooth compared with biglaw. But that's to be expected. At a law firm, IT is secondary to the legal work--a necessary cost. It's not the "product" itself nor even close. That will always manifest in, at minimum, little annoyances and inefficiencies. "Clunky" is a fair description. Frankly any office job that isn't at a top software company with some of the best engineers building internal systems is going to be sub-optimal. Your firm's IT people are probably not all making $250k+ to de-clunk it. Much of the software and systems will be outsourced, so you'll use third party A for this and third party B for that and each will have their separate access points and idiosyncrasies. [edit: that's all in addition to the general corporate bloatware and lag that others have noted].

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2022 10:21 pm

SNightHighlights wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 12:14 am
The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 7:19 pm

I think the OP might just not be used to the corporate Lenovo lagtop lifestyle. Firms have to install so much security and internal software on the laptops that they get to be pretty slow and clunky to use. It would definitely be a rude awakening if switching over to a Macbook. I will say that (1) when you get used to it and (2) get a nice desktop monitor and keyboard setup it gets to be much more fluid but it's still a laggy corporate computer setup.
(OP) Yeah this is it. I'm slowly getting used to the computer, laptop, and software day by day—it's not terrible, but I did expect better stuff. Would Apple products really be too weak to handle internal software and security? I feel like attorneys would be able to churn out more work more quickly with Apple products. (I am not making any commission from Apple :lol: )

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Mon May 23, 2022 11:41 pm

My tech stack as a small law firm owner shits on what I had in biglaw, like by a lot. It’s a combo of me not caring as much about security, because I can’t afford top security, and me caring more about automations and efficiency.

For example, the case management system I built auto creates folders in files, calendars SOL, created templates from database info (rogs, letters, etc.), and I get all of my deadlines pushed to g cal with very little manual data entry.

I found biglaw tech shitty. But they don’t care about efficiency and why should they? Boomer and Gen X partners still use paper for a lot of their practice. They don’t want change in tech and why rock the boat.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Tue May 24, 2022 11:51 am

Lacepiece23 wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 11:41 pm
My tech stack as a small law firm owner shits on what I had in biglaw, like by a lot. It’s a combo of me not caring as much about security, because I can’t afford top security, and me caring more about automations and efficiency.

For example, the case management system I built auto creates folders in files, calendars SOL, created templates from database info (rogs, letters, etc.), and I get all of my deadlines pushed to g cal with very little manual data entry.

I found biglaw tech shitty. But they don’t care about efficiency and why should they? Boomer and Gen X partners still use paper for a lot of their practice. They don’t want change in tech and why rock the boat.
This sounds awesome. Would love to hear more details.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Tue May 24, 2022 1:53 pm

1styearlateral wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 11:51 am
Lacepiece23 wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 11:41 pm

This sounds awesome. Would love to hear more details.
I use Airtable for my case management system. As soon as an intake comes in my receptionist send them a link to my form. The client automatically enters the information into my system. I then decided, based on the click of a button, whether I want to talk to the client further based on what they wrote in my form. If I do, they get a text and email to set up a time on my calendar through Calendly. Appointment times are preset and they have to make it work with my schedule. If I don't, they receive an automatic text and personalized non-engagement letter with their name on it.

If I accept them as a new client, I preliminary move them forward in my pipeline. From there, folders are created automatically in G Drive. I click a button to email them a detailed intake form. They fill it out. And then we send an engagement letter (looking to automate).

For cases, each matter is dragged through my case pipeline by event in Kanban view. For example, if I send a demand letter, they get pushed to that event. This triggers an automatic email giving them information on what has just happened with their case and what next steps are. Of course, they think this is coming from me because it has their name on it and my signature. But it's a canned email. I have about 10-12 of these. Keeps the clients happy and they call me less to ask questions. I'd like to up it to 20-30, but work in progress.

My deadlines still have to be manually inputted, fuck ECF. But, once they are, they automatically show up on a calendar view in Airtable. I have two calendars for court deadlines, one for complaints and charges and one for deadlines. Very nice having that at your fingertips instead of trying to manually save shit to your outlook calendar like I did in biglaw. What a waste of time. And it was anxiety-inducing not being able to only see what is due month to month.

For project management, I again use Airtable. I assigned each team member a task and internal deadline for the task. I can see at all times what everyone on my team is doing. At the beginning of the week, I write down every task that I foresee for the week. If I don't have to do it, I delegate it and create a task. My team members know very shortly after I do that sometime needs done. We very rarely have fire drills and its rare when a document is completed at least a week before its needed.

For teaching/systems, I create loom screen videos of me doing work. I have them on document requests, 30(b)(6) notices, depo outlines, etc., etc. Sometimes I'll accompany that with handwritten instructions as well.

I work with a lot of law students as part of my business model because they are cheap and eager. I give them these instructions, samples, and then a deadline. They give me pretty decent work product. My small firm now seems big.

Pretty basic rundown of how my firm operates. We of course us Slack, not email. Lastpass, not a word document with passwords. Zapier/Make automates things for us. Tech is the way of the future for small firms and allows us to compete. And my current stack costs way less per user than what other law firms pay.

Hope this provided some of the details you were interested in.

Grazzhoppa

Bronze

Post by Grazzhoppa » Wed May 25, 2022 3:48 am

Biglaw technology SUCKS. DMS is beyond slow and shitty. MS office crashes constantly. Laptops constantly fucking up and geeking out when opened / unplugged from a dock. Laptop batteries laughable.

Crazy to me because the job is essentially a MS office gig. Now that I’m out of biglaw and working with mainstream present day DMS and other technology I’m like twice as efficient.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 25, 2022 6:12 am

Biglaw tech sucks because too many partners don’t know basic tech and don’t care

I also have a sneaking suspicion that they know that slow tech inevitably leads to bigger bills. All those seconds waiting for an inefficient doc system to load add up. Otherwise, it’s kind of baffling that associates that bill at the rates they do don’t have top end laptops that would pay for themselves within a day of average billing (heck, idk why partners themselves are okay with these slow things)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 26, 2022 9:59 am

Lifelong Apple user here. Have to say - I've been blown away by my V10's tech set-up. I was expecting something really bad.

Hasn't been flawless, but the in-house tech support is top-notch and has gotten everything resolved quickly. Much, much better than my previous experiences elsewhere.

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Thu May 26, 2022 7:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 6:12 am
Biglaw tech sucks because too many partners don’t know basic tech and don’t care

I also have a sneaking suspicion that they know that slow tech inevitably leads to bigger bills. All those seconds waiting for an inefficient doc system to load add up. Otherwise, it’s kind of baffling that associates that bill at the rates they do don’t have top end laptops that would pay for themselves within a day of average billing (heck, idk why partners themselves are okay with these slow things)
part of the reason the tech sucks is because there's a lot of security software running in the background, slowing everything down. same if you work in financial services - they put a ton of junk on your computer.

if you bought the same laptop you use at your firm off the internet clean and just installed Microsoft office suite, it'd be way faster.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”