Got recruited to firm that does not have enough work Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Flame801

New

Got recruited to firm that does not have enough work

Post by Flame801 » Tue May 17, 2022 9:52 pm

I was recruited to new firm as a senior associate, and my group clearly does not have enough work here. I am only a month in but pretty frustrated. What would you do?

Anonymous User

Re: Got recruited to firm that does not have enough work

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 18, 2022 9:59 am

Stick it out for one year and if the lack of work continues, then leave.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 18, 2022 10:11 am

Workflow has massively dropped in some transactional practice groups over the past ~1.5 months given the shaky economy and market volatility. If you're in Cap Markets or a similar practice group, it's not surprising that firms that were heavily recruiting a few months ago now don't have enough work to go around. It's all cyclical and the work will come back, but it is definitely a frustrating way to start a new role.

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Wed May 18, 2022 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 9:59 am
Stick it out for one year and if the lack of work continues, then leave.
Agree with the (for some reason) anon. It can be hard to integrate a new person into matters. As new deals come up and you are part of them from the beginning, you should have more to do. If you don't have more work after a year or so, though, definitely move on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 18, 2022 2:05 pm

I lateralled 3 months ago. I billed 15 hours my first month and 100 the next. This month will be my first month where I'll bill at full capacity.

The market is slow and you're new. I think it's normal.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 18, 2022 2:19 pm

OP do you mind giving the vault range of the firm? Probably not the same firm but I also lateraled recently and have plenty of free time. I would hate having to look for a new firm when I just started because work dried up. Anon given the timing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 18, 2022 3:08 pm

Flame801 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 9:52 pm
I was recruited to new firm as a senior associate, and my group clearly does not have enough work here. I am only a month in but pretty frustrated. What would you do?
Why are you frustrated exactly? Is the issue you're worried it is harming your partnership opportunities? If so, I would wait another couple months. I think the market might just be a bit slower now and it would impact you negatively. Of course, if it is endemic to the group, lateral ASAP.

If it's just that you can't handle not working. Maybe seek out some pro bono? I won't give you the advice to get a life outside of work as your job is clearly your passion.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”