Lateral Signing Bonus Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateral Signing Bonus

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 15, 2022 11:49 am

I am lateraling as a mid-level and want to negotiate a signing bonus. What is reasonable to ask for? I am not using a recruiter and am not in M&A, for what it's worth. Any tips on navigating the negotiation process would also be much appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: Lateral Signing Bonus

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 17, 2022 4:45 am

If your lit, I wouldn't expect any signing bonus unless you're antitrust or IP. Definitely still try, but lit is not as marketable

I recently lateraled as a midlevel general commercial lit associate in a secondary market. I asked and didn't get any signing bonus despite three competing offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 17, 2022 10:04 am

Jr. associate got 50k in a secondary market in General Lit. Firm opened with 0. They really needed the spot filled and didn't want to wait. Another top firm capped me at 20. I passed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 17, 2022 1:43 pm

A friend got a $50k signing bonus as a general litigation lateral. Just one data point, obviously.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 17, 2022 6:46 pm

Antitrust lit midlevel here. Got an offer with a 100k signing bonus last year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 17, 2022 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
    Tue May 17, 2022 6:46 pm
      When you say Midlevel, do you mean a year 3-4 associate or a year 5-7 associate? I've noticed "midlevel" is becoming harder to differentiate as more firms adopt two-tier partnerships.

A 100k signing bonus as a 3rd year associate seems pretty amazing, while a 100k signing bonus as a 6th year seems more in-line (hence the question).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 17, 2022 7:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
      Tue May 17, 2022 6:58 pm
      Anonymous User wrote:
      Tue May 17, 2022 6:46 pm
        When you say Midlevel, do you mean a year 3-4 associate or a year 5-7 associate? I've noticed "midlevel" is becoming harder to differentiate as more firms adopt two-tier partnerships.

A 100k signing bonus as a 3rd year associate seems pretty amazing, while a 100k signing bonus as a 6th year seems more in-line (hence the question).
        Good point. 3/4th year, but trial experienced.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 18, 2022 11:57 am

9th year / signing bonus $220K/ corporate and leveraged finance practice /March 2022/modest salary bump / guaranteed full end of year bonus with no hours requirements

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 20, 2022 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
        Wed May 18, 2022 11:57 am
        9th year / signing bonus $220K/ corporate and leveraged finance practice /March 2022/modest salary bump / guaranteed full end of year bonus with no hours requirements
        Nice! The only think I might have done to sweeten that is squeeze in a solid month or two between jobs since the end of year bonus is guaranteed in any event.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 21, 2022 4:30 am

I feel like a smuck midlevel going senior here and did not even get close $100k retention bonus. Anyone negotiated a higher retention bonus somehow?

Bramwell

New

Post by Bramwell » Sat May 21, 2022 1:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
        Sat May 21, 2022 4:30 am
        I feel like a smuck midlevel going senior here and did not even get close $100k retention bonus. Anyone negotiated a higher retention bonus somehow?
        Not really apples to apples. Retention bonus will generally not be equal to a signing bonus because (and these are in some tension with each other) 1) you’re already at the relevant firm, so there’s inertia preventing you from moving elsewhere and starting new relationships, 2) people that fish for retention offers already have one foot out the door, so the firm is not necessarily going to see throwing more money your way as a good investment. Think of a signing bonus as the price paid by the new firm to make you walk away from your old firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 21, 2022 5:02 pm

Bramwell wrote:
        Sat May 21, 2022 1:43 pm
        Anonymous User wrote:
        Sat May 21, 2022 4:30 am
        Not really apples to apples. Retention bonus will generally not be equal to a signing bonus because (and these are in some tension with each other) 1) you’re already at the relevant firm, so there’s inertia preventing you from moving elsewhere and starting new relationships, 2) people that fish for retention offers already have one foot out the door, so the firm is not necessarily going to see throwing more money your way as a good investment. Think of a signing bonus as the price paid by the new firm to make you walk away from your old firm.
        Good point. Retention $$$ was offered without asking but had I known about these signing bonuses I would’ve asked for a similar amount maybe like 75% at least tbh

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 22, 2022 1:32 pm

How many people are getting retention bonuses in corporate? 5%? 50%?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”