Grade Drop & Biglaw Offer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Grade Drop & Biglaw Offer

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 09, 2022 8:42 pm

2L (rising 3L) with an SA at a v100 firm. Dropped from top 20% to top 33% at a T30. I didn't slack off: it was just the combination of too many doctrinal exams + extracurriculars. Am I going to get no-offered or cold-offered over this?

Anonymous User

Re: Grade Drop & Biglaw Offer

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 09, 2022 8:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 8:42 pm
2L (rising 3L) with an SA at a v100 firm. Dropped from top 20% to top 33% at a T30. I didn't slack off: it was just the combination of too many doctrinal exams + extracurriculars. Am I going to get no-offered or cold-offered over this?
It's really unlikely. Just try to do a good job this summer.

Definitely Not North

Bronze

Post by Definitely Not North » Tue May 10, 2022 12:51 am

No

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 10, 2022 7:54 am

It's over, man. I wouldn't even show up, just to spare yourself the humiliation.

Seriously though, you could be bottom at your class and people wouldn't care.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 10, 2022 11:37 am

Don't worry about it. No one will worry about the slip. As others have noted, your attitude and work-product during the summer is more important. That being said, almost everyone gets an offer (few exceptions but those involve serious issues).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 10, 2022 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 11:37 am
Don't worry about it. No one will worry about the slip. As others have noted, your attitude and work-product during the summer is more important. That being said, almost everyone gets an offer (few exceptions but those involve serious issues).
What are the exceptions?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 10, 2022 11:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 11:42 am
Anonymous User wrote:
What are the exceptions?
Getting so drunk at a firm event, you wander into a private bedroom at a partner's house and vomit in their bed. Things like that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 10, 2022 11:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 11:42 am
Anonymous User wrote:
What are the exceptions?
Never turning work in on time without any heads up to anyone, getting drunk at events and hitting on (or just plain hitting) people, that kind of thing. Like *serious* issues. (Scooped.)

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue May 10, 2022 1:01 pm

Generally, only egregious grade drops are use as reasons to drop an offer. If you were top 5% and suddenly became a sub-median student, they might be concerned.

The extent to which firms might focus on grades may depend on the economy. If you have a situation like the summer associate class of 2007 (which was massive), followed by an absolutely epic downturn, firms are going to be looking for excuses left and right to cull incoming associates without having to resort to across the board culling. But if you have an environment like 2021 where firms were desperate for warm bodies, they would probably be willing to overlook just about anything short of outright flunking out.

Either way, people's impressions of your work this summer will be FAR more important than any minor grade fluctuation. The people you work with this summer will have no idea what your grades are, and the reviews of your work that they write will be a lot more important than anything else in deciding who gets an offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 10, 2022 9:11 pm

nealric wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:01 pm
Generally, only egregious grade drops are use as reasons to drop an offer. If you were top 5% and suddenly became a sub-median student, they might be concerned.

The extent to which firms might focus on grades may depend on the economy. If you have a situation like the summer associate class of 2007 (which was massive), followed by an absolutely epic downturn, firms are going to be looking for excuses left and right to cull incoming associates without having to resort to across the board culling. But if you have an environment like 2021 where firms were desperate for warm bodies, they would probably be willing to overlook just about anything short of outright flunking out.

Either way, people's impressions of your work this summer will be FAR more important than any minor grade fluctuation. The people you work with this summer will have no idea what your grades are, and the reviews of your work that they write will be a lot more important than anything else in deciding who gets an offer.
OP here. I’m spooked by the market and the apparent over-hiring for my class year. Should I be concerned with my extent of grade drop? I’m still solidly above median, and I wasn’t top 5% (or top 10%, or top 15%) when I was hired, but it’s still a drop.

Of course, I’m hoping that spring grades will turn out better than fall, but I’m not sure at this point.

namefromplace

Bronze

Post by namefromplace » Tue May 10, 2022 9:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 9:11 pm
nealric wrote:

OP here. I’m spooked by the market and the apparent over-hiring for my class year. Should I be concerned with my extent of grade drop? I’m still solidly above median, and I wasn’t top 5% (or top 10%, or top 15%) when I was hired, but it’s still a drop.

Of course, I’m hoping that spring grades will turn out better than fall, but I’m not sure at this point.
No. Don't be concerned. Stop worrying about this. You're fine.

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed May 11, 2022 3:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 9:11 pm
nealric wrote:

Even in 2009, I didn't see people getting no-offered over that sort of grade drop. Your summer performance is what matters unless you totally tank 3L year or something (like straight Cs).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”