Bringing dog to my V10 firm’s office Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Bringing dog to my V10 firm’s office

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 10, 2022 11:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 10:14 am
I work in the NY office of a litigation boutique, bring my dog in about once a month without any issues. Partners actually encourage it, most of the associates have dogs so we coordinate and make a day of it. Probably different in the biglaw setting but why not try it out for a day and see how it goes? Worst case someone says they don't like it and that's that.
You have a coordinated day that is the exception that proves the rule. Not really similar to OP's plan to simply show up with it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 10, 2022 11:29 am

I think you should ask HR or whoever is in charge of your office's activities whether there's an appetite for "bring your dog to workday" (for a limited number of staff members on a particular day). If they respond that there are legal/liability or contractual obligations (i.e., building owner prohibits its), why it cannot happen, then you have your answer. But, unless it's a service dog, I cannot imagine a biglaw firm allowing you to just bring your dog in: others may ask to do the same, and then the firm won't be able to accommodate everyone's request.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 14, 2022 10:52 am

Reading this thread was such a surprise. I’m at a satellite office of a v10 in the Bay Area. It is very normalized in this area to bring dogs to work. I know at least Google, Airbnb and Lyft allow them on campus, and likely a lot of other smaller companies. I personally brought my dog into work for several years at my job before law school. I also externed at a judge’s chambers in San Francisco and multiple clerks brought their dogs in on occasion.

At my v10, the building owner doesn’t allow dogs, but people not infrequently bring their dogs in anyway and no one seemed to care. As a summer associate, one associate snuck their dog in for the day. I heard that a partner brought her dogs in on the weekends. I’ve talked to multiple partners who have said that they would bring their dogs in if they could. I haven’t brought my dog into the office, but I’ve taken him on dog friendly firm sponsored events.

So that’s definitely a difference in culture…

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Sat May 14, 2022 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 10:52 am
Reading this thread was such a surprise. I’m at a satellite office of a v10 in the Bay Area. It is very normalized in this area to bring dogs to work. I know at least Google, Airbnb and Lyft allow them on campus, and likely a lot of other smaller companies. I personally brought my dog into work for several years at my job before law school. I also externed at a judge’s chambers in San Francisco and multiple clerks brought their dogs in on occasion.

At my v10, the building owner doesn’t allow dogs, but people not infrequently bring their dogs in anyway and no one seemed to care. As a summer associate, one associate snuck their dog in for the day. I heard that a partner brought her dogs in on the weekends. I’ve talked to multiple partners who have said that they would bring their dogs in if they could. I haven’t brought my dog into the office, but I’ve taken him on dog friendly firm sponsored events.

Yes, you live in a culture that 95% of Americans think is weird. Half the country tunes into Fox News just to laugh at it. And it's nice to see you guys respecting the deal you made with your landlord. Maybe they should raise your rent mid-lease and wait to see if anybody "seems to care."

LittleRedCorvette

Bronze

Post by LittleRedCorvette » Sat May 14, 2022 3:13 pm

Res Ipsa Loquitter wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 11:19 am
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes, you live in a culture that 95% of Americans think is weird. Half the country tunes into Fox News just to laugh at it. And it's nice to see you guys respecting the deal you made with your landlord. Maybe they should raise your rent mid-lease and wait to see if anybody "seems to care."
Yikes weird response.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Sat May 14, 2022 3:28 pm

LittleRedCorvette wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 3:13 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Yikes weird response.
“Yikes my dude” is the the most worthless response imaginable, more befitting of a Reddit basement dweller than a top law school graduate

LittleRedCorvette

Bronze

Post by LittleRedCorvette » Sat May 14, 2022 3:40 pm

Sat May 14, 2022 3:28 pm
LittleRedCorvette wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yikes weird response.
“Yikes my dude” is the the most worthless response imaginable, more befitting of a Reddit basement dweller than a top law school graduate
Good thing I didn't say that!

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Sat May 14, 2022 4:11 pm

Sat May 14, 2022 3:28 pm
LittleRedCorvette wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yikes weird response.
Yikes weird response.

temp69420

New

Post by temp69420 » Sat May 14, 2022 6:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 7:04 pm
MOD NOTE: User Res Ipsa Loquitter outed for anon abuse. Sexist comment deleted.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Sat May 14, 2022 8:29 pm

temp69420 wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 6:16 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Someone literally came into the thread later and made the exact same comment (that it was mostly “dog moms” and there was massive overlap with the people who abuse airline service animal rules)

So if you think quoting that moderator note is winning you the NBA Dunk Contest, you’re not even close

JorgeMichael

New

Post by JorgeMichael » Sat May 14, 2022 10:30 pm

Sat May 14, 2022 8:29 pm
temp69420 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Someone literally came into the thread later and made the exact same comment (that it was mostly “dog moms” and there was massive overlap with the people who abuse airline service animal rules)

So if you think quoting that moderator note is winning you the NBA Dunk Contest, you’re not even close
You are really weird.

Prudent_Jurist

Bronze

Post by Prudent_Jurist » Sun May 15, 2022 10:48 am

JorgeMichael wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 10:30 pm
Sat May 14, 2022 8:29 pm
temp69420 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You are really weird.
RIL is probably a cat. Only a cat would troll a thread full of good bois.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 24, 2022 2:50 pm

Dog barked all the way through my SA orientation yesterday.

Guess someone took this thread a bit too seriously ….

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Tue May 24, 2022 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 2:50 pm

Yikes. Really weird, intolerant, and sexist/racist comment. Your comfort and ability to hear your SA orientation is not more important than that person’s right to bring their doggo to work. It probably only barked because it smelled your sickening privilege. Do better next time, man.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue May 24, 2022 10:42 pm

Tue May 24, 2022 6:22 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 2:50 pm

Yikes. Really weird, intolerant, and sexist/racist comment. Your comfort and ability to hear your SA orientation is not more important than that person’s right to bring their doggo to work. It probably only barked because it smelled your sickening privilege. Do better next time, man.
dude, dial your sense of aggrievement back.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”