Bringing dog to my V10 firm’s office Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
becodalapa

New

Re: Bringing dog to my V10 firm’s office

Post by becodalapa » Sat May 07, 2022 6:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 6:12 pm
OP here. Seems like the dog to work thing may be pushing it. Would your answer change if it was a cat?
Not for me. In fact, it's probably weirder since cats, in my experience, tend to enjoy the experience of traveling and meeting new humans less than dogs do. I love cats and I love dogs, but asking to bring either to the office is ridiculous to the point that I have a hard time believing this is a serious question. Service animals are a totally different story, of course, but ordinary companion animals really don't belong in the office.

I also think it's weird that you think the V10 distinction is relevant here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 07, 2022 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 5:20 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 5:08 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 4:53 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 2:16 pm
Not sure why so many negative responses.
Wouldn’t expect to be the norm, but I don’t think it’s crazy to ask.
It's crazy to ask.
Agreed. clueless and entitled request, likely made by the same people who bring golden retrievers onto commercial flights because their soft-ass doctor wrote a note.
Hey, I bring my golden retriever on flights after my doctor wrote a note...for my combat PTSD after getting blown up on my third deployment during my time in Special Operations.

Also, way to single out Golden Retrievers, arguably the V5 of pets. You probably own a hamster with that attitude.
Unfortunately for every one of you (type of person for whom exception was truly meant to help) there are people abusing it.

MOD NOTE: User Res Ipsa Loquitter outed for anon abuse. Sexist comment deleted.

eastcoast_iub

Bronze

Post by eastcoast_iub » Sat May 07, 2022 7:09 pm

Why stop with dogs? Can I bring my cat and put her litter box in the copy room? Bird cage in the bathroom?

blair.waldorf

Bronze

Post by blair.waldorf » Sat May 07, 2022 7:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

A bring-your-dog-to-work day has been seriously discussed at least at one major K&E office, so assume it has been at other major firms. The reason it can’t currently happen is that the owner of the building in question is not on board. I imagine that, as firms adjust to hybrid work styles and try to find carrots to bring folks into the office, there will be some firms with landlords that are okay with the concept, or move into new spaces as leases come up for renewal that are less traditional.

Agreed. My dog is ten pounds and extremely well trained. I bring her everywhere that dogs are allowed and would love to bring her to the office. She would probably just sleep at my feet most of the day.

Google allows dogs in the office. I’m sure other companies do as well. Like you said, I doubt it becomes the norm, but it’s not an insane request.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 07, 2022 8:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
    OP here. Seems like the dog to work thing may be pushing it. Would your answer change if it was a cat?
    That is an even more insane request, especially because cats don’t generally enjoy meeting new people in a new setting. I think asking about either of these shows poor judgment. If a partner has a dog they love you could pitch a bring your dog to work Thursday or Friday but that’s about as far as I’d go.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Sat May 07, 2022 8:27 pm

This generation of juniors needs to realize that biglaw is not free money. If you concentrate on you, yourself, and what the firm can do for you — expect to be out on your ass.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Sat May 07, 2022 9:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
    Sat May 07, 2022 7:04 pm
    Unfortunately for every one of you (type of person for whom exception was truly meant to help) there are people abusing it. Mostly it’s young women who’ve never heard the word “No” let alone gone to war.
    What in the flying fuck

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Sat May 07, 2022 9:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
    Lol okay you pushed the troll just too far.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 07, 2022 11:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

A bring-your-dog-to-work day has been seriously discussed at least at one major K&E office, so assume it has been at other major firms. The reason it can’t currently happen is that the owner of the building in question is not on board. I imagine that, as firms adjust to hybrid work styles and try to find carrots to bring folks into the office, there will be some firms with landlords that are okay with the concept, or move into new spaces as leases come up for renewal that are less traditional.

Key here is bring to work day, which means you don't bring to work rest of the year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 08, 2022 12:57 am

nixy wrote:
    Sat May 07, 2022 9:28 pm
    Anonymous User wrote:
    Unfortunately for every one of you (type of person for whom exception was truly meant to help) there are people abusing it. Mostly it’s young women who’ve never heard the word “No” let alone gone to war.
    What in the flying fuck
    Sorry. Forgot that (I) acknowledging gender exists or (ii) blaming women for anything was a hanging offense.

Sackboy

Silver

Post by Sackboy » Sun May 08, 2022 3:46 am

nixy wrote:
    Sat May 07, 2022 9:28 pm
    Anonymous User wrote:
    What in the flying fuck
    With takes like this, I'm so glad the forum's anon policy is so well followed and not abused and that the moderators aren't a completely useless bunch that refuses to enforce it.

Look forward to my next 7 day ban for shitting on the useless mods.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 08, 2022 9:50 am

Res Ipsa Loquitter wrote:
    Sat May 07, 2022 8:27 pm
    This generation of juniors needs to realize that biglaw is not free money. If you concentrate on you, yourself, and what the firm can do for you — expect to be out on your ass.
    Please step down from the soap box in your studio apartment.

Keep the discussion focused on cats, dogs, RTO, or spring bonuses if you must venture off topic. Trying to keep the boomer talk to a minimum. :D

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Sun May 08, 2022 12:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
    Sun May 08, 2022 9:50 am

Keep the discussion focused on cats, dogs, RTO, or spring bonuses if you must venture off topic. Trying to keep the boomer talk to a minimum. :D
    True one bedroom! Look, if somebody’s firm tells them they can bring their dog, then they should bring their dog if they want. But this is not something associates should be asking for out of the blue.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 08, 2022 12:16 pm

Sun May 08, 2022 12:01 pm
    Anonymous User wrote:

True one bedroom! Look, if somebody’s firm tells them they can bring their dog, then they should bring their dog if they want. But this is not something associates should be asking for out of the blue.
    Diff anon but I think the issue isn't the pets anymore, just the "it's not free money ur fired" rhetoric. Unnecessary.

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Sun May 08, 2022 12:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
    Sun May 08, 2022 12:16 pm
    Sun May 08, 2022 12:01 pm
    Anonymous User wrote:

Diff anon but I think the issue isn't the pets anymore, just the "it's not free money ur fired" rhetoric. Unnecessary.
    Sometimes, in a discussion, other people will say things that you don't agree with. That doesn't make the comments unnecessary, nor does it make them rhetorical in nature.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon May 09, 2022 2:45 am

Does your firm represent Purina ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 09, 2022 7:32 am

MergerQueen wrote:
    Sat May 07, 2022 1:57 pm
    Anonymous User wrote:
    Sat May 07, 2022 6:19 am
    [P]eople always thing their dogs are well trained and cute, but they are often wrong. Most importantly, some people are flat out scared of dogs, even your sweet little whatever, so it’s really insensitive to impose that on someone.
    ^ x 1,000,000
    My dog only barks at unreasonable opposing counsel or screamer partners. I see no problem with either of those.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 09, 2022 8:28 am

This came up at the v10 I lateraled out of. It was not popular with most attorneys but was pushed hard by a few attorneys who generally self described as "dog moms".

Thread basically sums up what were generally the two attitudes. 1. Its totally normal for me to want to take little pibbles everywhere and you need to deal with him, or 2. No one wants to deal with other people's pets in an office. The people in option 1 were generally the same people certifying their animals as "emotional support" to abuse ADA rules.

Prudent_Jurist

Bronze

Post by Prudent_Jurist » Mon May 09, 2022 9:38 am

If I were OP, I’d go work here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1v6wYnTfiZ0

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 09, 2022 4:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
    Mon May 09, 2022 8:28 am
    This came up at the v10 I lateraled out of. It was not popular with most attorneys but was pushed hard by a few attorneys who generally self described as "dog moms".

Thread basically sums up what were generally the two attitudes. 1. Its totally normal for me to want to take little pibbles everywhere and you need to deal with him, or 2. No one wants to deal with other people's pets in an office. The people in option 1 were generally the same people certifying their animals as "emotional support" to abuse ADA rules.
    Dog mom is such an interesting comparison. As a human parent, I would never bring my kids to work. Maybe in some emergency scenario.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 09, 2022 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
    Mon May 09, 2022 4:59 pm
    Anonymous User wrote:
    Mon May 09, 2022 8:28 am

Dog mom is such an interesting comparison. As a human parent, I would never bring my kids to work. Maybe in some emergency scenario.
    Just enjoy this phrasing and will use it from now on.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 09, 2022 6:31 pm

Just my own personal experience. I had someone do this in my office (V100, CA) and I thought it was kinda unprofessional and distracting. This might be a different situation because they were literally playing fetch with the dog in the halls and it was running in and out of my office (I suppose I could have closed my door, but I like leaving it open in case anyone needs to pop by about anything). You can pay for a dogsitter if you're worried that your dog isn't getting enough socialization, but the downsides of potentially pissing off your co-workers isn't worth it. You never know who doesn't love dogs, who is highly allergic, etc, and having one forced on you in the office isn't great.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 10, 2022 9:30 am

There's a federal judge who does this and it was super annoying. The dog mostly sat in a dog bed in the front room of chambers, which, whatever. But occasionally the dog would bark at people coming into the office and could be heard throughout the hall and was super annoying, and on more than one occasion, peed on the (carpeted) floor.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 10, 2022 10:14 am

I work in the NY office of a litigation boutique, bring my dog in about once a month without any issues. Partners actually encourage it, most of the associates have dogs so we coordinate and make a day of it. Probably different in the biglaw setting but why not try it out for a day and see how it goes? Worst case someone says they don't like it and that's that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 10, 2022 11:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
    Tue May 10, 2022 9:30 am
    There's a federal judge who does this and it was super annoying. The dog mostly sat in a dog bed in the front room of chambers, which, whatever. But occasionally the dog would bark at people coming into the office and could be heard throughout the hall and was super annoying, and on more than one occasion, peed on the (carpeted) floor.
    I know of a few judges that do this. One famously carried their show dogs with them on the bench and made their clerks walk them. But whining about that as a law clerk was probably not tolerated.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
    Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”