Any truth to the rumor Sidley (Chi) rescinded a popular tiktoker's summer offer? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Any truth to the rumor Sidley (Chi) rescinded a popular tiktoker's summer offer?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:28 am
Correct, the story is not confirmed. Which is why the rumor is odd since ATL likely would have covered it if there were substantive evidence (by way of a hypothetical story as presented above so as not to reveal any names).
Does ATL cover anything anymore? The quality of their reporting/writing is shockingly bad.

Anonymous User

Re: Any truth to the rumor Sidley (Chi) rescinded a popular tiktoker's summer offer?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:46 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Correct, the story is not confirmed. Which is why the rumor is odd since ATL likely would have covered it if there were substantive evidence (by way of a hypothetical story as presented above so as not to reveal any names).
Does ATL cover anything anymore? The quality of their reporting/writing is shockingly bad.
They do no original reporting just whatever people send them. They're probably reading this thread and deciding how much they can publish. Hi Stacy!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:05 am
Frankly, this thread is a bad look for the NU student body for dragging a colleague with no substantial dirt, although I would be happy to be proven otherwise. And no, I didn't watch what looked like a snobby 3-part series tiktok rant by that one girl. I'm not that depraved yet (nor am I gen Z).
This is a pretty disingenuous comment. "I have no knowledge of this so there must be it must be malicious and intended to drag a colleague."

Except that the initial post made no mention of name or school and clearly asked about the veracity of a rumor. If true, students might want to know what Sidley may consider enough to no offer before the summer has even started.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:48 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
They do no original reporting just whatever people send them. They're probably reading this thread and deciding how much they can publish. Hi Stacy!
They should at least verify with Sidley before reporting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:58 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:48 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
They should at least verify with Sidley before reporting.
wow can't believe you're asking our ATL kweens to undertake such grueling emotional labor

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:55 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Frankly, this thread is a bad look for the NU student body for dragging a colleague with no substantial dirt, although I would be happy to be proven otherwise. And no, I didn't watch what looked like a snobby 3-part series tiktok rant by that one girl. I'm not that depraved yet (nor am I gen Z).
This is a pretty disingenuous comment. "I have no knowledge of this so there must be it must be malicious and intended to drag a colleague."

Except that the initial post made no mention of name or school and clearly asked about the veracity of a rumor. If true, students might want to know what Sidley may consider enough to no offer before the summer has even started.
Guilty until proven innocent is the social media mindset these days

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:02 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:21 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:35 pm
What about his videos were offensive(?)
Think this video was the turning point:

https://www.tiktok.com/@fffernanda777/v ... 6420623918
https://www.tiktok.com/@fffernanda777/v ... 9181725957
The 1,000+ comments under this video are hilarious
This is why I'll never have social media. At least 100 out of the 1,000 comments on this video are from people claiming to have had personal experiences with him. Many of these people seem to be commenting with their actual identities. The comments suggest this dude is a major asshole.

Being an asshole never barred anyone from being able to work in big law though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:13 pm

He's commented on his social media that he's going to Sidley and it's the only big law firm he 'likes' on linkedin.

Anyone going to Sidley chicago this summer see his name on the summer program roster? The answer to that probably tells us what we need to know.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:17 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:14 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:56 am
It could be that the random tiktok stuff led people to dig up other dirt that's not on tiktok. B/c all the woman on tiktok is saying from personal knowledge is that he was a dick out at a club, which seems plausible but also a nothingburger wrt to employment. But if that led to the older allegations and there is something to those, that would be a problem for him.
The older "allegations" is the same woman saying that another woman broke up with him over rumors she (woman #2) heard. For those familiar with hearsay that's about triple hearsay, if woman 2 heard it from a source and told it directly to tiktok woman. (don't test me on hearsay here I'd like to forget about the whole concept). Now, it's possible that there was truth to it that the firm found, just like anything is possible. But just repeating that allegations exist is pretty disgusting gossip mongering.
I'm not commenting on the original decision to post anything about this on tiktok or anything about the truth/likelihood of the rumors/older allegations - I don't know shit about any of these people. All I'm saying is that if this tik tok drama got this person got their offer revoked (still not confirmed), it's more likely to be the bolded than because people were gossiping on social media. Law firms know what hearsay is too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:45 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:13 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:26 am
Anonymous User wrote:
If this story was true, someone would have tipped ATL by now. Frankly, this thread is a bad look for the NU student body for dragging a colleague with no substantial dirt, although I would be happy to be proven otherwise. And no, I didn't watch what looked like a snobby 3-part series tiktok rant by that one girl. I'm not that depraved yet (nor am I gen Z).
ATL doesn't usually post about individual students by name unless they are in FedSoc.
Wouldn't a hypothetical ATL story be that Sidley revoked someone's offer? They don't have to mention the person by name (e.g., aquagirl).
But the guy's tiktok handle is his name. There's no way to preserve any level of anonymity without ignoring 99% of the story.
...why does ATL need to report the handle? The general content of the story or post or whatever it was the person said or did is enough. I still don't even know who this person or handle is.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:55 am
Anonymous User wrote:

And this is a disgustingly lazy comment. I'm the quoted anon, and I wasn't talking about the OP. Read the other posts on this thread. If some girl is going to make a 3-part tiktok rant, I'm assuming there's a lot of unsubstantiated mudslinging.

eta: I can see my reference to the "thread" might be ambiguous so that's my error. To be specific, I was talking about the comments re: tiktok and the supposedly racist remarks the person made (which the poster was very unspecific about).
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:50 pm
All I'm saying is that if this tik tok drama got this person got their offer revoked (still not confirmed), it's more likely to be the bolded than because people were gossiping on social media. Law firms know what hearsay is too.
I hope you're right. But the way things have been going lately, I'm not sure. A lot of employers have been kowtowing to their zoomer employees. All you need is a few getting together to say this person makes them uncomfortable based on unconfirmed internet gossip for the cost benefit analysis move the decision to throw him under the bus. In an at will employment situation you don't need to meet a legal burden of evidence.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:14 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:56 am
It could be that the random tiktok stuff led people to dig up other dirt that's not on tiktok. B/c all the woman on tiktok is saying from personal knowledge is that he was a dick out at a club, which seems plausible but also a nothingburger wrt to employment. But if that led to the older allegations and there is something to those, that would be a problem for him.
The older "allegations" is the same woman saying that another woman broke up with him over rumors she (woman #2) heard. For those familiar with hearsay that's about triple hearsay, if woman 2 heard it from a source and told it directly to tiktok woman. (don't test me on hearsay here I'd like to forget about the whole concept). Now, it's possible that there was truth to it that the firm found, just like anything is possible. But just repeating that allegations exist is pretty disgusting gossip mongering.
I'm not commenting on the original decision to post anything about this on tiktok or anything about the truth/likelihood of the rumors/older allegations - I don't know shit about any of these people. All I'm saying is that if this tik tok drama got this person got their offer revoked (still not confirmed), it's more likely to be the bolded than because people were gossiping on social media. Law firms know what hearsay is too.
Agree; I think OP asked for more info from Sidley associates about why (and if) the offer was revoked. Someone going to the Chicago office just said he was not on the list of summer associates. Sure they could be lying, but I would imagine that with a class as big as Sidley's chicago class, if his name were on the roster, someone would have already posted saying as much.

Which leaves two possible alternatives:

1. He was never on the roster (seems highly unlikely based on his comments about going to Sidley).
2. He withdrew on his own (highly unlikely)

If his offer was revoked, it wouldn't make sense for Sidley to do so on the basis of a tik tok allegation alone. Then again, we are living in the wild west.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:04 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
All I'm saying is that if this tik tok drama got this person got their offer revoked (still not confirmed), it's more likely to be the bolded than because people were gossiping on social media. Law firms know what hearsay is too.
I hope you're right. But the way things have been going lately, I'm not sure. A lot of employers have been kowtowing to their zoomer employees. All you need is a few getting together to say this person makes them uncomfortable based on unconfirmed internet gossip for the cost benefit analysis move the decision to throw him under the bus. In an at will employment situation you don't need to meet a legal burden of evidence.
I would imagine law firms would investigate somewhat diligently before no offering. Having a reputation for having no offered someone, and there being no transparency, can have an impact on recruiting.

I would also be disappointed if an offer was revoked on the basis of a few people claiming discomfort. I think it's fair to point out that if this rumor has teeth, the people that complained were likely classmates. Who knows what kind of proof of information or behavior could have been supplied. Law school is high school. People keep receipts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:34 pm

Removed
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:01 pm
and the supposedly racist remarks the person made (which the poster was very unspecific about).
This seemed a pretty self-evident troll.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:49 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
and the supposedly racist remarks the person made (which the poster was very unspecific about).
It seemed to be a troll comment referencing the performative nature of the pandering done by the northwestern administration.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:58 pm

Have seen a Sidley Chicago roster with his name on it (though unsure of the date), so there may be some truth to the rumor

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:55 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
It seemed to be a troll comment referencing the performative nature of the pandering done by the northwestern administration.
One person's pandering is another person's accountability. That said, no one seems to have brought up race regarding this dude, nor does it appear that NU has done anything (rather than Sidlley), so the troll didn't really land.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:00 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:55 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
One person's pandering is another person's accountability. That said, no one seems to have brought up race regarding this dude, nor does it appear that NU has done anything (rather than Sidlley), so the troll didn't really land.
Some people brought up race in the comment section of the video with over a thousand comments. Just clarifying as you said "no one has brought up race." You are correct that no one here has brought up race other than the troll and to be clear I've never heard anything from anyone at NU about racist remarks.

Even if someone had brought a complaint to the school, I wouldn't expect NU to do anything about it. They seem to only take action in light of bad press or external pressure. Anyone that goes to NU would tell you as much.

The troll didn't seem to want their comment to land. They seemed to have made an assumption that the reasoning behind Sidley's alleged revocation must have involved this individual not being enough of a race conscious SJW.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:58 pm
Have seen a Sidley Chicago roster with his name on it (though unsure of the date), so there may be some truth to the rumor
Yep. Someone commented that as of today he is not on the roster. I'm sure if this person were lying, others going to Sidley Chicago would call them out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:20 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Yep. Someone commented that as of today he is not on the roster. I'm sure if this person were lying, others going to Sidley Chicago would call them out.
unless missed unintentionally, not lying (no reason to, frankly)

eta: second-hand access to the list so that’s why i’m not confirming this as 100% accurate (otherwise would just check again) - would love for a sidley summer to confirm, though.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:30 pm

At Sidley but not involved with the summer program - there hasn't been a firmwide list sent out yet

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:29 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:20 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
unless missed unintentionally, not lying (no reason to, frankly)
just curious but how many nu people are going to Sidley this summer?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”