Any truth to the rumor Sidley (Chi) rescinded a popular tiktoker's summer offer? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Xarta36

New

Re: Any truth to the rumor Sidley (Chi) rescinded a popular tiktoker's summer offer?

Post by Xarta36 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:58 am

nixy wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:01 am
Res Ipsa Loquitter wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:58 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:52 pm
So I went to NU and interacted with this guy when he was a 1L (I was an LLM). I had raised concern about his activities on TikTok to a few people as he was doing the classic 1L thing where you are giving what you think is general legal commentary but in reality you are giving legal advice.

At the time I was already a licensed attorney and expressed how this is not permitted to some of my peers who were also aware of his Tik Tok presence. There was even some indication that he was charging for why he called “legal lessons”.

From an interpersonal perspective, this guy was a hot head when I met him. He had a reputation based on my conversations with other NU students, and it always put a bad taste in my mouth when I would see him.

I haven’t seen or interacted with him in over a year but all signs point to him continuing this behavior.

Just my two cents.
Underhanded post. You’re going anon to disparage an individual.

Non-lawyers give people (usually unsolicited) legal advice all the time. Unless he held himself out as a licensed attorney, there’s no harm there. And charging for “legal lessons” (which you aren’t even sure actually happened) doesn’t require a license, as evidenced by the countless tutors, instructors, teaching assistants, and even professors of law who are unlicensed. Licensed lawyers don’t sell general legal lessons — they apply law to real-world facts, and real-world consequences result.

As for your “interpersonal perspective” — which was a fancy way of saying you just didn’t like this guy — nobody should care, least of all Sidley. Spoiler alert: many people don’t like the LLMs, either. Many see them as rich foreign tourists with designer clothes and entitled attitudes. That opinion should not and did not prevent you from getting your LLM, yet your implication is that your opinion on this guy should carry some real weight.

Your post was cowardly, but mostly it was of the same quality I’ve come to expect from LLMs.
holy ad hominem
Makes me wonder if this is JA himself

Anonymous User

Re: Any truth to the rumor Sidley (Chi) rescinded a popular tiktoker's summer offer?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:05 am
So, I'm not on TikTok because I'm not 23 but I went looking for this person because this thread piqued my interest and I don't know if I found the person who is the subject of this thread, but holy hell there are some truly batshit law students out there.
This is the same school that bullied the dean until she resigned.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
So I went to NU and interacted with this guy when he was a 1L (I was an LLM). I had raised concern about his activities on TikTok to a few people as he was doing the classic 1L thing where you are giving what you think is general legal commentary but in reality you are giving legal advice.

At the time I was already a licensed attorney and expressed how this is not permitted to some of my peers who were also aware of his Tik Tok presence. There was even some indication that he was charging for why he called “legal lessons”.

From an interpersonal perspective, this guy was a hot head when I met him. He had a reputation based on my conversations with other NU students, and it always put a bad taste in my mouth when I would see him.

I haven’t seen or interacted with him in over a year but all signs point to him continuing this behavior.

Just my two cents.

Non-lawyers give people (usually unsolicited) legal advice all the time. Unless he held himself out as a licensed attorney, there’s no harm there. And charging for “legal lessons” (which you aren’t even sure actually happened) doesn’t require a license, as evidenced by the countless tutors, instructors, teaching assistants, and even professors of law who are unlicensed. Licensed lawyers don’t sell general legal lessons — they apply law to real-world facts, and real-world consequences result.

As for your “interpersonal perspective” — which was a fancy way of saying you just didn’t like this guy — nobody should care, least of all Sidley. Spoiler alert: many people don’t like the LLMs, either. Many see them as rich foreign tourists with designer clothes and entitled attitudes. That opinion should not and did not prevent you from getting your LLM, yet your implication is that your opinion on this guy should carry some real weight.

Your post was cowardly, but mostly it was of the same quality I’ve come to expect from LLMs.
I was debating deleting this post, but I'd rather preserve it as a monument to one of the absolute dumbest things I've ever had to read.

This is a ridiculous take, and you should feel bad for taking the time to write it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:16 am

Nlaw student here. All I can say is that many of us who know this "character" in real life are so relieved his offer was rescinded. He's not a good person in a number of ways. His tiktoks are not the only issue (but videos of getting kicked out of a club and fighting with a bouncer or screaming drunkenly at young women -- both of which were posted of him by other tiktokers -- are red flags) and he's made a lot of people very uncomfortable to put it mildly. Anyone that goes to Nlaw has heard about the way he's treated other students and has heard very concerning rumors of some things he might have done. Since can't substantiate the rumors, I won't comment, but the entire school knowing about it and having pretty much the same story means there's some truth in there.

Sidley has known about certain problems since December and only acted now. That should give you some inkling that they didn't do this lightly and took the time to investigate.

For the people bashing my school and saying we're catty or toxic, that couldn't be farther from the truth. 99% of our student body is made of wonderful, kind, and caring people that support one another. It's the 1% like this guy that make our school look bad. There was no shit piling or wild accusations made and N
O ONE is jealous of him. There was no smear campaign and no one is out to get anyone. A bad egg made some bad choices and is paying the consequences.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xarta36

New

Post by Xarta36 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:20 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:14 am
Anonymous User wrote:

Just my two cents.

I was debating deleting this post, but I'd rather preserve it as a monument to one of the absolute dumbest things I've ever had to read.

This is a ridiculous take, and you should feel bad for taking the time to write it.
I mean, I'm glad that I'm not the only one that thought so. I've learned in my almost two years of practice that the interpersonal opinions of your colleagues frankly outweigh whether or not they are good attorneys. I would much rather send business to someone who I like than someone who would think it is appropriate to respond this way to a member of their profession.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JiveTurkey

New

Post by JiveTurkey » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
So I went to NU and interacted with this guy..

did you actually read this over and think to yourself: “yeah, this is good to post”

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Just my two cents.

impressively annoying, even for TLS

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:41 pm

almostperfectt wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:43 am
Anonymous User wrote:
So, I'm not on TikTok because I'm not 23 but I went looking for this person because this thread piqued my interest and I don't know if I found the person who is the subject of this thread, but holy hell there are some truly batshit law students out there.
Is this news to you? Did you attend law school?
I did go to law school, but maybe I just didn't hang around with the right people. Reading the Constitution every day by candlelight at 4am didn't seem to be a thing where I was....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:16 am
Nlaw student here. All I can say is that many of us who know this "character" in real life are so relieved his offer was rescinded. He's not a good person in a number of ways. His tiktoks are not the only issue (but videos of getting kicked out of a club and fighting with a bouncer or screaming drunkenly at young women -- both of which were posted of him by other tiktokers -- are red flags) and he's made a lot of people very uncomfortable to put it mildly. Anyone that goes to Nlaw has heard about the way he's treated other students and has heard very concerning rumors of some things he might have done. Since can't substantiate the rumors, I won't comment, but the entire school knowing about it and having pretty much the same story means there's some truth in there.

Sidley has known about certain problems since December and only acted now. That should give you some inkling that they didn't do this lightly and took the time to investigate.

For the people bashing my school and saying we're catty or toxic, that couldn't be farther from the truth. 99% of our student body is made of wonderful, kind, and caring people that support one another. It's the 1% like this guy that make our school look bad. There was no shit piling or wild accusations made and N
O ONE is jealous of him. There was no smear campaign and no one is out to get anyone. A bad egg made some bad choices and is paying the consequences.
As nice as our community is, the students in it are not above circulating screenshots or videos of incredibly unsavory behaviors, conversations, and rants. I too prefer to avoid detailing the nature of this gossip but it should be considered that it may not have been very difficult for one of the dozens of Sidley summers from NU to have further substantiated their concerns to the firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Just my two cents.

Yet another absurdly stupid take. It seems you're steadily hitting refresh, a bit too eager to defend this individual. I wonder why?

Still trying your hardest to promote the narrative that his offer was rescinded because people at my school are out to get him on the basis of not liking him and being jealous of him. LOL. So embarrassing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:41 pm
almostperfectt wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:43 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Is this news to you? Did you attend law school?
I did go to law school, but maybe I just didn't hang around with the right people. Reading the Constitution every day by candlelight at 4am didn't seem to be a thing where I was....
I had con law with him. For many reasons, I would wager that he has never read the Constitution. This next statement is unrelated to my wager, but oddly enough I had more than 6 classes with him during my 1L year and he rarely spoke in class.

With that said, outside of class, the grandiose sense of self he projects on tiktok is absolutely the way he carries himself in person. His account started off merely as a tiktok where he did back flips, flirted with what appeared to be teenagers, and bragged about his summer internship at a personal injury firm. He seemed to transition to being a satire account after people started pointing out his videos were incredibly cringe and asking him if they were satirical.

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:52 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Just my two cents.

Yet another absurdly stupid take. It seems you're steadily hitting refresh, a bit too eager to defend this individual. I wonder why?

Still trying your hardest to promote the narrative that his offer was rescinded because people at my school are out to get him on the basis of not liking him and being jealous of him. LOL. So embarrassing.
I'm a practicing biglaw associate with no connection to this individual. Do I think there's a weird pile-on against an identifiable individual? Yes, I think T14 students are mostly disturbed individuals, who engage in bullying and prolonged gang attacks because piling on is easier than fixing their own inadequacies. Even after making high salaries in biglaw, many still struggle with daily life.

I don't even doubt that this kid is obnoxious. But if Sidley pulled the offer, that's between him and Sidley. If you want to roll into TLS as anons and bash this guy on the web for all to see, that's also fine, but don't expect that type of behavior to be respected by everyone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:05 pm

Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:34 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Just my two cents.

I'm a practicing biglaw associate with no connection to this individual. Do I think there's a weird pile-on against an identifiable individual? Yes, I think T14 students are mostly disturbed individuals, who engage in bullying and prolonged gang attacks because piling on is easier than fixing their own inadequacies. Even after making high salaries in biglaw, many still struggle with daily life.

I don't even doubt that this kid is obnoxious. But if Sidley pulled the offer, that's between him and Sidley. If you want to roll into TLS as anons and bash this guy on the web for all to see, that's also fine, but don't expect that type of behavior to be respected by everyone.
Actually, your comments have not reflected the notion that "If Sidley pulled the offer, that's between him and Sidley." Instead, you have made comments assuming to know the motives of the individuals that made complaints to sidley and you have gone as far as to say that the motive is jealousy.

The majority of people in this thread have taken the position that rescinding his offer on the basis of comments on the internet alone would be wrong. You're the only one pretending to know that if his offer was rescinded, it was because of jealous and bitter students at my school. Discussing why someone may have had their offer pulled on an open forum is not bullying or "bashing". There have been a few comments today that have been more targeted, yes. But you have from the start been vigorously defending this individual and arriving at premature conclusions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Xarta36

New

Post by Xarta36 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:09 pm

Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:34 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Just my two cents.

I’m still waiting for you to admit that what you posted in response to me was not only stupid, but also incredibly rude and unprofessional. Apparently you think it’s ok to personally attack me when you think I’m a foreign trained lawyer, but have no response when I tell you that I’m U.S trained. Just saying….

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:42 pm

I mean I think it's only natural that law students heading into SAs get curious/anxious about a firm potentially yanking an offer. I don't think a thread like this will produce much if any helpful information, which is why it devolves into gossip, but I get why people want to know. The gossip isn't great, but given we're talking about someone with 529k followers on tiktok, I have a REALLY hard time thinking he hasn't seen this all before (and uses it to get followers).

I'm not sure why saying that one specific person that you've actually met was obnoxious is worse than telling a poster you've never met that they suck because they were an LLM student and LLMs suck, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:42 pm

As for your “interpersonal perspective” — which was a fancy way of saying you just didn’t like this guy — nobody should care, least of all Sidley.
How deluded do you have to be to think that firms don't or shouldn't care about whether people they hire for their teams get along with their peers? Coming across as a tool or not a team player is one of the the most common reasons candidates don't get an offer. It's an office job. This isn't sports, it's not like there's a law student so talented you just have to take them if they're bad at interpersonal relationships. That's like half of the job.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Vexed

Bronze

Post by Vexed » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:44 pm

Goofed twice, not supposed to be anon^

Xarta36

New

Post by Xarta36 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:02 pm

nixy wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:42 pm
I mean I think it's only natural that law students heading into SAs get curious/anxious about a firm potentially yanking an offer. I don't think a thread like this will produce much if any helpful information, which is why it devolves into gossip, but I get why people want to know. The gossip isn't great, but given we're talking about someone with 529k followers on tiktok, I have a REALLY hard time thinking he hasn't seen this all before (and uses it to get followers).

I'm not sure why saying that one specific person that you've actually met was obnoxious is worse than telling a poster you've never met that they suck because they were an LLM student and LLMs suck, though.
If you read their post where they called me essentially a silver spoon POS, let’s not ignore the thinly veiled xenophobic rhetoric that was used. When I pointed out that I’m actually a US trained attorney who got a tax LLM, silence.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:38 pm

Xarta36 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:02 pm
nixy wrote:

If you read their post where they called me essentially a silver spoon POS, let’s not ignore the thinly veiled xenophobic rhetoric that was used. When I pointed out that I’m actually a US trained attorney who got a tax LLM, silence.
oh yeah, I totally agree.

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:39 pm

Xarta36 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:02 pm
nixy wrote:

Had not read all the posts until now. I apologize for the LLM jab, first because it was overly harsh and second because you were doing the tax LLM anyway.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Sad248

New

Post by Sad248 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:16 am

Whilst I'm not defending a guy who is toxic, the other extreme that 99% of any law school is full of angels is also a scorching hot take. From my experience a very solid contingent performs just as many toxic acts as this guy apparently committed. I've seen cocaine parties, students unashamedly cheating on law school applications, exams and SOs, sexual assault and fake sexual assault allegations, bullying, sabotaging others in their exam taking, and these are just the things I know of, as I won't put down other things of which I have just heard the most heinous rumors being spread. Not saying this TikToker is a good kid or not, but feels like his main issue was that he was dumb enough to engage in this behavior and decide upon a public persona.

That being said, grateful if anyone could PM me this kid's handle, I have no clue who this person is.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:47 am

Jeez grandpa just google "northwestern law school tik tok guy" like the rest of us boomers

RecruiterMan

New

Post by RecruiterMan » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:47 am
Jeez grandpa just google "northwestern law school tik tok guy" like the rest of us boomers
(the above was me in an accidental anon) wow I must really not understand young people and their internet use; who on earth are the 1.6 million viewers of shit like his "all roads lead to silicon valley" video? Are these all hate-watchers? Seems like a lot?

Sad248

New

Post by Sad248 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:59 am

RecruiterMan wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:56 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:47 am
(the above was me in an accidental anon) wow I must really not understand young people and their internet use; who on earth are the 1.6 million viewers of shit like his "all roads lead to silicon valley" video? Are these all hate-watchers? Seems like a lot?
Hah, thanks young 'un, for some reason my Googling skills abandoned me on this one. And not going to judge a book by its cover, but the guy's face, demeanor, and antics (shirtless videos, random showing off, etc.) does seem like a guy who think he is hot stuff and can get away with things they in truth cannot get away with.

As to your rhetoric query: it's something I wonder as someone who is somewhat in tune with Gen Z. I'm on Twitch a lot and I like a few streamers who are genuinely funny/educational. But many successful ones are just vapid streamers who play a game/put on some YT videos to watch (hell, some even just straight up sleep on stream) or toxic screamers. I actually think, relative to these, "all roads lead to silicon valley" has some artistic merit with some (lame) jokes (wearing a vest instead of a suit/reading T&Cs). So compared to a 'laughing at a YT video' or 'mouthing some song lyrics', this is like Starry Night. Still, 90% is just your standard "look, I'm rich, do cool stuff, and decent looking," stuff and I think that's what a lot of kids these days yearn for.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”