Any truth to the rumor Sidley (Chi) rescinded a popular tiktoker's summer offer? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Any truth to the rumor Sidley (Chi) rescinded a popular tiktoker's summer offer?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:56 pm
Eyeroll. Nobody denies that if something bad happened the firm had no choice. The objection is if the firm caved to social media cancelling without a proper investigation or evidence. If that's a "Fedsoc grievance" then we're truly in a sad place.
Starting a comment with "dear Sidley, fuck you" is useless and does suggest that the poster has jumped to the conclusion that this person is being victimized by cancel culture. Despite cushioning their comment with the use of a few "ifs"

Anonymous User

Re: Any truth to the rumor Sidley (Chi) rescinded a popular tiktoker's summer offer?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:25 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:02 pm
I only see people making assumptions in one direction here. It's silly to conclude, without further information, that Sidley didn't have a reason to do what it seems they did.

There is no reason to assume he was no offered based on tiktok allegations alone. The opposite of that is not to assume Sidley was in the right; I don't see anyone here doing that anyway.
It's called "believing women." So many people say they believe women, and then turn around and call their allegations "baseless." The allegations themselves are evidence, albeit not dispositive evidence. In this case, it seems like multiple women report sketchy experiences while dating this individual. I don't see why more evidence is needed than that.
ok so which is it, do we think sidley did it based on more evidence than or were they right to do it based on tiktok, can you please get your story straight you two

also unless i'm missing something it's not multiple women, it's one woman alleging others (and herself refusing to stand by those accusations)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:25 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:02 pm
I only see people making assumptions in one direction here. It's silly to conclude, without further information, that Sidley didn't have a reason to do what it seems they did.

There is no reason to assume he was no offered based on tiktok allegations alone. The opposite of that is not to assume Sidley was in the right; I don't see anyone here doing that anyway.
It's called "believing women." So many people say they believe women, and then turn around and call their allegations "baseless." The allegations themselves are evidence, albeit not dispositive evidence. In this case, it seems like multiple women report sketchy experiences while dating this individual. I don't see why more evidence is needed than that.
Obvious troll.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:32 pm
Is every thread on this forum going to turn into a FedSoc Culture War Grievance Festival now?
There's always one in every thread: the person who deflects difficult conversations with overdone FedSoc quips
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:42 am

Ok, I'm going to take care of a couple of housekeeping items:

1. The anon feature is meant to be used when posts would reveal information about you that could be linked to your real-life identity, firm, etc. 90% of the posts in this thread do not need to be anon. I'm not going to waste my morning going back and fixing all the pointless anons, but going forward, any posts containing solely opinions will be de-anoned.

2. Troll posts are being deleted. This topic is certainly open for discussion. However, it is not an invitation to rant about corporate diversity initiatives (or whatever you think this thread was an open platform for).

musiccityboer

New

Post by musiccityboer » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:32 pm
Is every thread on this forum going to turn into a FedSoc Culture War Grievance Festival now?
Only those that can't turn into "my T14 is better than your T14"
Last edited by cavalier1138 on Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:13 pm

Sidley associate here. I have neither seen or heard anything that would suggest this guy had his offer rescinded by Sidley. My guess is that there is some smear campaign going on right now that hopes it will end with a no offer for this guy, but there's nothing that would suggest that has actually happened.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:13 pm
Sidley associate here. I have neither seen or heard anything that would suggest this guy had his offer rescinded by Sidley. My guess is that there is some smear campaign going on right now that hopes it will end with a no offer for this guy, but there's nothing that would suggest that has actually happened.
Sidley associates don't have the list of summers yet. Unless you're saying you haven't heard anything about this person at all, this doesn't make any sense.

I go to this person's school and a few days ago a school organization event was hosted by Sidley and on the back of the event flyer, they listed every 2L that will be a summer. Guess who wasn't on the list?

Please don't accuse people of trying to smear him in order to get the firm to no offer. All of the individuals that went to this popular event have this flyer. Several people on here confirmed he's not on the recent list of summers that Sidley provided. No one has been able to say otherwise.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:55 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:13 pm
Sidley associates don't have the list of summers yet. Unless you're saying you haven't heard anything about this person at all, this doesn't make any sense.

I go to this person's school and a few days ago a school organization event was hosted by Sidley and on the back of the event flyer, they listed every 2L that will be a summer. Guess who wasn't on the list?

Please don't accuse people of trying to smear him in order to get the firm to no offer. All of the individuals that went to this popular event have this flyer. Several people on here confirmed he's not on the recent list of summers that Sidley provided. No one has been able to say otherwise.
Sidley associate here. Yes, we do have the list. And the individual referenced is on the list of people that will participate in the SA program. But thanks for describing your logic. Smart inference.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:27 pm

Sidley associate here. Yes, we do have the list. And the individual referenced is on the list of people that will participate in the SA program. But thanks for describing your logic. Smart inference.
When were you provided the list? Summers received the updated list without his name on it from Sidley one week ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:22 am

Maybe he asked to be left off the list sent to NU students because he knows law students are extremely catty and vindictive and would organize a protest of the event based on the thirdhand allegations. Or Sidley knows the same and did the same. On tiktok he is annoying and cringe and probably permeatued every NU student's tiktok feed during quar (he made it to mine) so no surprise the other students hate him.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:22 am
Maybe he asked to be left off the list sent to NU students because he knows law students are extremely catty and vindictive and would organize a protest of the event based on the thirdhand allegations. Or Sidley knows the same and did the same. On tiktok he is annoying and cringe and probably permeatued every NU student's tiktok feed during quar (he made it to mine) so no surprise the other students hate him.
He also seems to have family money, whereas many law students are broke AF, even at top schools. Envy is real.

Edit: Accidental anon. This was Res Ipsa

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:22 am
First, interesting that you've decided that any complaint launched against him could only have been based on third party allegations. There is no reason to believe this. Second, too bad this individual announced where he was going to be working on social media (in the cringiest way to be sure) last fall. NU students will also tell you that he offered this information, unsolicited, to anyone that would listen.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:40 am

He also seems to have family money, whereas many law students are broke AF, even at top schools. Envy is real.

This is embarrassing. You're working overtime only to come up with implausible theories.

With very few exceptions, if you want a big law job out of NU, you're going to get one. This applies to those of us that are broke AF. What is there to be envious of? The idea that NU students would plpt against him because his parents have the money to put him in a nicer condo is ridiculous.

(Anonymous because I go to the same school)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:45 pm

Sidley anon here. For the benefit of those that don’t use TikTok, can you please describe what happened? Sounds like people are saying an incoming summer had his offer rescinded, but I can’t find anything outside of this thread (and the flyers for the event that someone mentioned, which omitted his name). Ty!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:59 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:40 am

This is embarrassing. You're working overtime only to come up with implausible theories.

With very few exceptions, if you want a big law job out of NU, you're going to get one. This applies to those of us that are broke AF. What is there to be envious of? The idea that NU students would plpt against him because his parents have the money to put him in a nicer condo is ridiculous.

(Anonymous because I go to the same school)
Family money can be tens of millions of dollars liquid, or even billions liquid. How exactly does a biglaw job level that playing field? I actually work in biglaw and can confirm that many biglaw attorneys are jealous of the (many) people who are better-off than them. "We're all going to have infinite money soon" is a sentiment you only hear from law students.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:45 pm
Sidley anon here. For the benefit of those that don’t use TikTok, can you please describe what happened? Sounds like people are saying an incoming summer had his offer rescinded, but I can’t find anything outside of this thread (and the flyers for the event that someone mentioned, which omitted his name). Ty!
Seriously, I can't tell what is even being talked about after reading this entire thread

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:23 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:45 pm
Seriously, I can't tell what is even being talked about after reading this entire thread
Dude tiktoks about law school but that's not really the issue (except that it make him cringe). Someone else posted a tiktok accusing him of bad things, but in 3d or even 4th hand gossip "I heard of someone who heard about it". The unknown is 1) if Sidley actually rescinded (seems likely based on info shared here) and 2) if they rescinded based on the tiktok gossip or if their own investigation came up with more.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:52 pm

So I went to NU and interacted with this guy when he was a 1L (I was an LLM). I had raised concern about his activities on TikTok to a few people as he was doing the classic 1L thing where you are giving what you think is general legal commentary but in reality you are giving legal advice.

At the time I was already a licensed attorney and expressed how this is not permitted to some of my peers who were also aware of his Tik Tok presence. There was even some indication that he was charging for why he called “legal lessons”.

From an interpersonal perspective, this guy was a hot head when I met him. He had a reputation based on my conversations with other NU students, and it always put a bad taste in my mouth when I would see him.

I haven’t seen or interacted with him in over a year but all signs point to him continuing this behavior.

Just my two cents.

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:52 pm
So I went to NU and interacted with this guy when he was a 1L (I was an LLM). I had raised concern about his activities on TikTok to a few people as he was doing the classic 1L thing where you are giving what you think is general legal commentary but in reality you are giving legal advice.

At the time I was already a licensed attorney and expressed how this is not permitted to some of my peers who were also aware of his Tik Tok presence. There was even some indication that he was charging for why he called “legal lessons”.

From an interpersonal perspective, this guy was a hot head when I met him. He had a reputation based on my conversations with other NU students, and it always put a bad taste in my mouth when I would see him.

I haven’t seen or interacted with him in over a year but all signs point to him continuing this behavior.

Just my two cents.
Underhanded post. You’re going anon to disparage an individual.

Non-lawyers give people (usually unsolicited) legal advice all the time. Unless he held himself out as a licensed attorney, there’s no harm there. And charging for “legal lessons” (which you aren’t even sure actually happened) doesn’t require a license, as evidenced by the countless tutors, instructors, teaching assistants, and even professors of law who are unlicensed. Licensed lawyers don’t sell general legal lessons — they apply law to real-world facts, and real-world consequences result.

As for your “interpersonal perspective” — which was a fancy way of saying you just didn’t like this guy — nobody should care, least of all Sidley. Spoiler alert: many people don’t like the LLMs, either. Many see them as rich foreign tourists with designer clothes and entitled attitudes. That opinion should not and did not prevent you from getting your LLM, yet your implication is that your opinion on this guy should carry some real weight.

Your post was cowardly, but mostly it was of the same quality I’ve come to expect from LLMs.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:01 am

Res Ipsa Loquitter wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:58 am
Anonymous User wrote:

Just my two cents.

Non-lawyers give people (usually unsolicited) legal advice all the time. Unless he held himself out as a licensed attorney, there’s no harm there. And charging for “legal lessons” (which you aren’t even sure actually happened) doesn’t require a license, as evidenced by the countless tutors, instructors, teaching assistants, and even professors of law who are unlicensed. Licensed lawyers don’t sell general legal lessons — they apply law to real-world facts, and real-world consequences result.

As for your “interpersonal perspective” — which was a fancy way of saying you just didn’t like this guy — nobody should care, least of all Sidley. Spoiler alert: many people don’t like the LLMs, either. Many see them as rich foreign tourists with designer clothes and entitled attitudes. That opinion should not and did not prevent you from getting your LLM, yet your implication is that your opinion on this guy should carry some real weight.

Your post was cowardly, but mostly it was of the same quality I’ve come to expect from LLMs.
holy ad hominem

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:05 am

So, I'm not on TikTok because I'm not 23 but I went looking for this person because this thread piqued my interest and I don't know if I found the person who is the subject of this thread, but holy hell there are some truly batshit law students out there.

almostperfectt

Bronze

Post by almostperfectt » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:05 am
So, I'm not on TikTok because I'm not 23 but I went looking for this person because this thread piqued my interest and I don't know if I found the person who is the subject of this thread, but holy hell there are some truly batshit law students out there.
Is this news to you? Did you attend law school?

Xarta36

New

Post by Xarta36 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:53 am

Res Ipsa Loquitter wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:58 am
Anonymous User wrote:

Just my two cents.

Well since you went there, let me just follow up. I happened to be a U.S. trained attorney and I was in the tax LLM program which if you know anything about tax is one of the top programs in the country so your little jab about LLMs being lesser than really doesn't concern me.

First, the average person is generally not able to discern between general legal commentary and legal advice in my experience as a practicing attorney. This is why in most law schools this type of behavior is a violation of the honor code.

Second, I find your responses within this community to be not only rude, but also very unprofessional. As a newcomer to this forum I am disappointed that you would be SOOOO upset by people sharing their own personal experiences with members (or in this case future members) of the profession. You attack me for anonymously posting, yet the whole point of this forum is to allow for open conversation via anonymity. Unless Res Ipsa is your real name....really?

-Xarta36

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”