Any truth to the rumor Sidley (Chi) rescinded a popular tiktoker's summer offer? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Any truth to the rumor Sidley (Chi) rescinded a popular tiktoker's summer offer?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:41 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:29 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:20 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:58 pm
Have seen a Sidley Chicago roster with his name on it (though unsure of the date), so there may be some truth to the rumor
Yep. Someone commented that as of today he is not on the roster. I'm sure if this person were lying, others going to Sidley Chicago would call them out.
unless missed unintentionally, not lying (no reason to, frankly)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Any truth to the rumor Sidley (Chi) rescinded a popular tiktoker's summer offer?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:41 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:29 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:20 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:58 pm
Have seen a Sidley Chicago roster with his name on it (though unsure of the date), so there may be some truth to the rumor
Yep. Someone commented that as of today he is not on the roster. I'm sure if this person were lying, others going to Sidley Chicago would call them out.
unless missed unintentionally, not lying (no reason to, frankly)
just curious but how many nu people are going to Sidley this summer?
I also don't have first-hand access to the list (I am the poster that saw the list with the TikToker's name on it), but there are probably by a rough estimation 15-20 NU summers and 10-15 UChicago summers. Someone who has the list with them can make the numbers more accurate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:05 pm

If the rumor is true (based on convos with ppl at my school that are friends with him, I *think* it is true), we don't know what Sidley based their decision on.

Aside from that, I wish I could feel bad for this guy. But I really don't. If you go to Northwestern or know this guy, you understand.

Another aside: social media just ain't worth it kids

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:11 pm

what do you even do in this situation? like, just sit out the summer and keep the fingers crossed for 3L hiring?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:11 pm
what do you even do in this situation? like, just sit out the summer and keep the fingers crossed for 3L hiring?
Yea idk. But if he finds himself in that position, he should target Dallas. Seems like a better fit for him.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:49 pm

One of the comments on the video made by a corporate lawyer at a noncompetitive Texas firm said this guy's gpa was subpar even for them and they passed on him.

Do better sidley.
Off topic but it should be completely unacceptable to reveal information such as GPA about a former candidate.

On topic, it shouldn't matter whet his GPA is. If you make an offer for SA, stand by it, absent any real issue.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:05 pm
If the rumor is true (based on convos with ppl at my school that are friends with him, I *think* it is true), we don't know what Sidley based their decision on.

Aside from that, I wish I could feel bad for this guy. But I really don't. If you go to Northwestern or know this guy, you understand.

Social media ain't worth it, and I don't know this guy. But even if he's cringe, knowing the way social dynamics at NU tend to result in toxic pile ons, my sympathy is with him until proven otherwise.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:30 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

One of the comments on the video made by a corporate lawyer at a noncompetitive Texas firm said this guy's gpa was subpar even for them and they passed on him.

Do better sidley.
Off topic but it should be completely unacceptable to reveal information such as GPA about a former candidate.

On topic, it shouldn't matter whet his GPA is. If you make an offer for SA, stand by it, absent any real issue.
How do you know there isn't a real issue? Lol. Obviously they didn't revoke an offer because they realized his gpa was subpar. They knew it when they hired him. None of us know what complaints were made and what if any evidence was provided.

I agree that the person on tiktok that interviewed him for the TX gig should not have remarked that he had a subpar gpa.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:33 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:05 pm

Social media ain't worth it, and I don't know this guy. But even if he's cringe, knowing the way social dynamics at NU tend to result in toxic pile ons, my sympathy is with him until proven otherwise.
I prefer to stay neutral. Historically, big law firms don't no offer lightly. No reason to start thinking that's suddenly the case. However, because it has started occurring more frequently in other corporate sectors and public spaces, it's possible they just caved to social pressure.

Maybe we'll find out if Sidley is ever pressed by an outlet on the matter.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:36 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:30 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Do better sidley.

How do you know there isn't a real issue? Lol. Obviously they didn't revoke an offer because they realized his gpa was subpar. They knew it when they hired him. None of us know what complaints were made and what if any evidence was provided.

I agree that the person on tiktok that interviewed him for the TX gig should not have remarked that he had a subpar gpa.
If we are thinking of the same comment, that person said that they had heard he got no-offered because his grades were subpar, not that they knew from personal experience or that they interviewed him.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:43 pm

It's always been possible to get no-offered based on grades. It's rare at a school like Northwestern, where biglaw is dipping to median or below at OCI anyway. More common at lower-ranked schools. E.g., if someone is at a school where biglaw requires top 10%, and then falls to below median, they are at risk.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:25 pm

removed
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:58 pm

Dear Sidley, because I know you'll be reading this eventually,

Fuck you if you cave into online pressure and no offer this guy or anyone else on the planet based purely on allegations which have not been substantiated. And fuck any firm that gets rid of its summers or associates based on the smallest bit of pressure. I could literally go on instagram right now and make unsubstantiated accusations against any given associate, even someone I never met. For firms to just fire people based on accusations alone is bad precedent. While not the same, it's like if Cooley actually fired its associate just because Elon Musk asked them to do so.

I'm speaking about principles like loyalty or innocence until proven guilty, not about the substance of whatever may have happened here. Substance which is clearly unknown to many people and which is based largely on he-said she-said as this thread shows.

Let alone that the underlying issue, if true, apparently happened years ago. How many of us have not done one thing or another in our life that we regret and that society would shame?

-Anonymous poster

p.s. If you already caved and no offered, with no meaningful evidence, you can always reneg on your no-offer just like you reneged on your offer. Do the right thing. If that means no offering based on meaningful evidence, okay.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:58 pm

Fuck you if you cave into online pressure and no offer this guy or anyone else on the planet based purely on allegations which have not been substantiated. And fuck any firm that gets rid of its summers or associates based on the smallest bit of pressure. I could literally go on instagram right now and make unsubstantiated accusations against any given associate, even someone I never met. For firms to just fire people based on accusations alone is bad precedent. While not the same, it's like if Cooley actually fired its associate just because Elon Musk asked them to do so.

I'm speaking about principles like loyalty or innocence until proven guilty, not about the substance of whatever may have happened here. Substance which is clearly unknown to many people and which is based largely on he-said she-said as this thread shows.
Isn’t it also possible that he didn’t get no offered (again, assuming he was) based on any allegations, but rather for his social media (TikTok) presence generally? I could see the firm discovering it eventually, and I could definitely see how they might not like it.

Edit: Also the allegations came out like 3-4 months ago according to the date on that video, so idk
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:01 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Isn’t it also possible that he didn’t get no offered (again, assuming he was) based on any allegations, but rather for his social media (TikTok) presence generally? I could see the firm discovering it eventually, and I could definitely see how they might not like it.
+ if a significant drop in grades is indeed real, combination of those two may be enough. Not trying to bootlick but I personally wouldn't want a tiktok star (*whose grades tanked) working for me either lol
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Let alone that the underlying issue, if true, apparently happened years ago. How many of us have not done one thing or another in our life that we regret and that society would shame?

-Anonymous poster

p.s. If you already caved and no offered, with no meaningful evidence, you can always reneg on your no-offer just like you reneged on your offer. Do the right thing. If that means no offering based on meaningful evidence, okay.
You're assuming way too much here. Most people commenting in this thread agree that the act of rescinding an offer merely on the basis of comments on the internet would be ridiculous. You don't know that this was the case and neither does anyone that has commented so far. OP asked that someone from Sidley provide any input they can and it hasn't happened yet.

Relax. If at some point it's known that the facts are as you are assuming they are, I would agree with your take. But you're making up several facts here and getting overheated.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:25 pm

^agree with this. Also, we can’t even definitely confirm his offer was rescinded (it looks like it, but that’s all we can confirm), let alone that Sidley did so based on substance-less allegations. So the outrage above seems a little premature.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:01 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Edit: Also the allegations came out like 3-4 months ago according to the date on that video, so idk
HE had a tiktok social media presence when they made the offer. If that's the reason, they should have given him a warning to take it down or guidelines of acceptable content.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:07 pm

"Fuck Sidley for jumping to conclusions and relying on rumors!"
—someone jumping to conclusions and relying on rumors

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:21 pm

Some of his content was super cringe, but I don’t remember seeing anything that’d be considered offensive. I’d be shocked if his tik tok was the reason. They’d tell him to stop if it was an issue, not rescind an offer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:04 pm

Dear Anonymous poster, because I know you'll be reading this eventually,

Fuck you if you cave into online pressure and believe Sidley no offered this guy or anyone else on the planet based purely on allegations which have not been substantiated. And fuck any poster that believes allegations based on the smallest bit of TLS speculation. I could literally go on instagram right now and make unsubstantiated accusations against any given firm, even some from whom I've never received swag. For posters to just attack firms based on accusations alone is bad precedent. While not the same, it's like if Cleary actually fired Aqua Girl just because ATL asked them to do so.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:32 pm

Is every thread on this forum going to turn into a FedSoc Culture War Grievance Festival now?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:56 pm

Eyeroll. Nobody denies that if something bad happened the firm had no choice. The objection is if the firm caved to social media cancelling without a proper investigation or evidence. If that's a "Fedsoc grievance" then we're truly in a sad place.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:02 pm

I only see people making assumptions in one direction here. It's silly to conclude, without further information, that Sidley didn't have a reason to do what it seems they did.

There is no reason to assume he was no offered based on tiktok allegations alone. The opposite of that is not to assume Sidley was in the right; I don't see anyone here doing that anyway.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”