Summer Classes of 2022 Edition Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Summer Classes of 2022 Edition

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 19, 2022 9:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 8:45 pm
Sackboy wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 5:00 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 4:50 pm
Sackboy wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 4:20 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 1:32 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 1:23 am
As a senior associate at a V20, I honestly can't care less about where somebody went for undergrad. To most people including myself, the ones that went to elite undergrad but didn't go to a top law school or law school on full ride don't seem smart. In fact, to be honest, they just look liked they peaked in high school or went to that elite undergrad due to some donation by their parents. For example, those types of people that went to HYP -> TTT law school, or HYP -> shit law school grades, signal poor intelligence or work ethic.
100% agree with this.
Meh, a lot of those folks seem to have just fucked around in college, because they often go HYP --> TTT but then graduate in the top 3% or something.
“Often” is certainly a stretch here.
I see it all the time, and it's also the only way TTT grads are making it into biglaw, so I'll live with my "stretch."
Didn’t realize you were only referring to those who make it into biglaw. Makes more sense now.
You know getting into biglaw via father's connections is a real thing, right?

The caliber of students with whom you are competing for top grades in law school is a relevant factor. If you went to a law school I have never heard of in my life, you should have graduated at the top of your class or close to that to be competitive among other candidates most of whom went to t14 schools.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 19, 2022 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 9:12 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sackboy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Sackboy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 1:23 am
As a senior associate at a V20, I honestly can't care less about where somebody went for undergrad. To most people including myself, the ones that went to elite undergrad but didn't go to a top law school or law school on full ride don't seem smart. In fact, to be honest, they just look liked they peaked in high school or went to that elite undergrad due to some donation by their parents. For example, those types of people that went to HYP -> TTT law school, or HYP -> shit law school grades, signal poor intelligence or work ethic.
100% agree with this.
Meh, a lot of those folks seem to have just fucked around in college, because they often go HYP --> TTT but then graduate in the top 3% or something.
I see it all the time, and it's also the only way TTT grads are making it into biglaw, so I'll live with my "stretch."
Didn’t realize you were only referring to those who make it into biglaw. Makes more sense now.

The caliber of students with whom you are competing for top grades in law school is a relevant factor. If you went to a law school I have never heard of in my life, you should have graduated at the top of your class or close to that to be competitive among other candidates most of whom went to t14 schools.
hmm, so maybe we're talking about dumb rich kids, daddy gets them into ivies but law school is a stretch, then daddy gets them biglaw and they pretend they got good grades at the ttt

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 19, 2022 11:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 9:41 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 9:12 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sackboy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Sackboy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

100% agree with this.

hmm, so maybe we're talking about dumb rich kids, daddy gets them into ivies but law school is a stretch, then daddy gets them biglaw and they pretend they got good grades at the ttt
Some of them didn't graduate from tt with top grades. Don't assume that just because somebody in biglaw went to ivy for ug and a ttt law school, that person must have been at top of his class at the ttt. That was my point.

Btw I've seen resumes like above (harvard college for ug, ttt law school with no honors, currently at a mediocre biglaw firm) for older lawyers. Ivy kids these days don't even go to ttt law schools. Like some posters said, once they decide to go into law, they aim for top 3 or top 14 with scholarship.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 20, 2022 12:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 11:09 pm
Btw I've seen resumes like above (harvard college for ug, ttt law school with no honors, currently at a mediocre biglaw firm) for older lawyers. Ivy kids these days don't even go to ttt law schools. Like some posters said, once they decide to go into law, they aim for top 3 or top 14 with scholarship.
Older lawyers for sure, tons of guys (always guys) in their 50s and 60s, back then nobody really thought much about where you went to school. Lot of those guys also started at some random midsize firm that got gobbled by like DLA Piper and voila now they're a biglaw partner.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 20, 2022 7:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 12:16 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Older lawyers for sure, tons of guys (always guys) in their 50s and 60s, back then nobody really thought much about where you went to school. Lot of those guys also started at some random midsize firm that got gobbled by like DLA Piper and voila now they're a biglaw partner.
Agree this is true for lots of older lawyers but it's 100% false that "Ivy kids these days don't even go to TTT law schools." I've seen plenty that do with varying results.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sackboy

Silver

Post by Sackboy » Fri May 20, 2022 8:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 7:35 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Agree this is true for lots of older lawyers but it's 100% false that "Ivy kids these days don't even go to TTT law schools." I've seen plenty that do with varying results.
I think there is some merit to what the other poster said in the sense that far fewer elite UG grads are even going to law school. I remember reading an article on it a few years ago. Kids from elite UGs are largely choosing banking, consulting, coding, or PhDs instead of law these days. So, the ones who probably do go, generally go to elite law schools. I think both the trends of fewer elite grads going to law school and of most of them going to elite schools makes sense given the current cost of law school and market conditions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 20, 2022 11:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 9:27 pm
Debevoise NY - 126 (excludes SEOs, does include other office stints)

Columbia (26)
NYU (16)
Harvard (10)
Georgetown (9)
Penn (8)
Michigan (6)
Yale/UVA (5)
Cornell/Fordham/New York Law (4)
Chicago/Cardozo/Seton Hall/Howard (3)
Duke/Northwestern/USC/Wash U/Tulane/Rutgers/St John’s (2)
Stanford/Brooklyn/Hofstra (1)

San Francisco (6), London (5), Paris (2)

Deb DC - 3

Georgetown/GW/George Mason (1)
Bringing this back to get back on topic. Any other firms? SA already started for many firms, so I imagine there are more available now...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2022 9:12 pm

Show me some SA classes, please.

jotarokujo

Bronze

Post by jotarokujo » Mon May 23, 2022 9:14 pm

Sackboy wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 8:51 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 7:35 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I think there is some merit to what the other poster said in the sense that far fewer elite UG grads are even going to law school. I remember reading an article on it a few years ago. Kids from elite UGs are largely choosing banking, consulting, coding, or PhDs instead of law these days. So, the ones who probably do go, generally go to elite law schools. I think both the trends of fewer elite grads going to law school and of most of them going to elite schools makes sense given the current cost of law school and market conditions.
i think it makes sense that this is the case too. other things are more lucrative now, so the people going to law school should be limited to people genuinely interested in law. it may also be the case that things were always more lucrative but elite undergrads are now more concerned about pursuing something lucrative

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed May 25, 2022 12:05 am

This thread is pushing 300 posts and no one mentioned that Kirkland has 545 summers?

That's bigger than half the overall firms mentioned so far and absolutely smashes the record for biggest class ever. Here's hoping you kids manage to duck a 2024 recession.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 25, 2022 12:39 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 12:05 am
This thread is pushing 300 posts and no one mentioned that Kirkland has 545 summers?

That's bigger than half the overall firms mentioned so far and absolutely smashes the record for biggest class ever. Here's hoping you kids manage to duck a 2024 recession.
a) that's insane. They had ~2700 total attorneys in 2021. I don't know what they started 2022 with, but if all those 545 summers return they'll be a huge chunk of the firm. Is KE just leveraged to hell?

b) Bold of you to think 2024 will be the recession. Too late IMO.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 25, 2022 7:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 12:39 am
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 12:05 am

a) that's insane. They had ~2700 total attorneys in 2021. I don't know what they started 2022 with, but if all those 545 summers return they'll be a huge chunk of the firm. Is KE just leveraged to hell?

b) Bold of you to think 2024 will be the recession. Too late IMO.
I’m a KE junior - we’re just so, so fucking busy and have been for several straight years. A share partner closely involved in lateral recruiting recently told me that they could easily absorb an additional 300 attorneys in the Funds group alone (and would love to do so because of the volume pouring through).

If the economy changes, that may all change (though KE can pull its usual countercyclical bankruptcy/restructuring swap to soften it as they have in past recessions), but for now at least, all of those bodies are indeed needed.

Helicopter

New

Post by Helicopter » Wed May 25, 2022 8:43 am

545….that entire class is a Biglaw firm. It would be one of the largest firms in most states.

Maybe they know that when they take 545, 100 or so will peel off elsewhere?

They are going to either completely dominate the law field or implode.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 25, 2022 2:12 pm

Baker McKenzie

Chicago: 12
BYU (2)
Chicago (1)
Emory (1)
Georgetown (1)
Iowa (1)
Minnesota (1)
Northwestern (1)
UIC (1)
Wisconsin (1)
WUSTL (2)

Dallas: 7
Michigan (1)
SMU (2)
UNC (1)
WUSTL (3)

Houston: 4
Howard (1)
South Texas (1)
Texas A&M (1)
UT Austin (1)

Los Angeles: 3
UCLA (3)

Miami: 2
GWU (1)
Stanford (1)

New York: 5
Columbia (2)
Emory (1)
Fordham (1)
UCLA (1)

Palo Alto: 1
UC Davis (1)

San Francisco: 4
Harvard (1)
Howard (1)
Berkeley (2)

Washington, D.C: 5
Duke (1)
Emory (2)
Georgetown (1)
UT Austin (1)

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Wed May 25, 2022 4:06 pm

Met some of my V20’s summers today. Better looking and less awkward than I anticipated, given their Covid-era upbringings. Seemed a bit into themselves, but that is to be expected from law students.

Overall: 8/10. Nice work, kids.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 25, 2022 8:03 pm

Res Ipsa Loquitter wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 4:06 pm
Met some of my V20’s summers today. Better looking and less awkward than I anticipated, given their Covid-era upbringings. Seemed a bit into themselves, but that is to be expected from law students.

Gross and creepy. Please stay away from playgrounds.

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Wed May 25, 2022 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 8:03 pm

There wasn’t any romantic or sexual connotation to the post. I said they (of all genders, not just the gender I’m attracted to) were generally better looking and less awkward than expected, and that’s it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 25, 2022 8:29 pm

Wed May 25, 2022 8:06 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

There wasn’t any romantic or sexual connotation to the post. I said they (of all genders, not just the gender I’m attracted to) were generally better looking and less awkward than expected, and that’s it.
(1) I'm not going to assume your sexuality.

(2) Even admitting the connection between Covid and physical looks, I'm not sure why the latter matters in contexts other than those you identified.

(3) Commenting on people's physical looks ("better looking," as opposed to hygeine/dress style), regardless of intention, is just creepy as someone significantly older (as implied by you calling them "kids").

All in all, it was a gross and creepy comment that was pretty unwarranted.

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Wed May 25, 2022 8:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 8:29 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

(2) Even admitting the connection between Covid and physical looks, I'm not sure why the latter matters in contexts other than those you identified.

(3) Commenting on people's physical looks ("better looking," as opposed to hygeine/dress style), regardless of intention, is just creepy as someone significantly older (as implied by you calling them "kids").

If you don’t think looks matter outside of romance/sex then you are just naive. Always Matters to some extent whether you’re an actor/actress, an attorney, a salesman, or anything else that involves human interaction.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 25, 2022 9:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Looks are important. The pandemic has significantly increased obesity nationwide, in large part because people let themselves go. If you didn't (or worked to restore your physical form post-pandemic), it shows strength of character/will and therefore a higher probability of career success.

If RIL was talking about ugliness you can't help (e.g. physical deformities) then I agree with you. But I strongly suspect RIL is strictly speaking in light of what the pandemic has wreaked upon the nation's waistlines (and social capability).

Edit: also, to get this thread more on track, does anyone have a full Kirkland list (or at least the major offices)? I'm really curious to see where they're drawing 545 summers from. That's enough to take all of Y/S and a bit of H (not that that's the situation, but for context).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 25, 2022 9:31 pm

It's funny that people complain about anon abuse when the dumbest trolls are name accounts.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 25, 2022 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 9:06 pm

Edit: also, to get this thread more on track, does anyone have a full Kirkland list (or at least the major offices)? I'm really curious to see where they're drawing 545 summers from. That's enough to take all of Y/S and a bit of H (not that that's the situation, but for context).
I'm a summer at K&E NY. I dont have exact stats (we were just quickly shown a slide on the first day) but for our office it was something like 45 schools represented for the 145 or so summers in the NY office. Most from a single school was NYU with I believe 17.

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Wed May 25, 2022 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 9:06 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Looks are important. The pandemic has significantly increased obesity nationwide, in large part because people let themselves go. If you didn't (or worked to restore your physical form post-pandemic), it shows strength of character/will and therefore a higher probability of career success.

If RIL was talking about ugliness you can't help (e.g. physical deformities) then I agree with you. But I strongly suspect RIL is strictly speaking in light of what the pandemic has wreaked upon the nation's waistlines (and social capability).

Correct, they were just better looking than I expected. This is not a comment about disabilities or anything like that. There's a long history of light hearted chatter about which law firms make better looking hires. Consider this 2007 article by David Lat. Granted, it was 15 years ago and he might not write this today, but he's a pretty mainstream dude in legal circles.

https://observer.com/2007/09/polish-tho ... eir-nests/

Bar Belles: According to Rob, a 2L at NYU, one firm that’s in demand this season is Davis Polk & Wardwell. Why? “I’ve heard they have good-looking associates.”

Some things never change. When I interviewed a decade ago, Davis was already known as a bastion of beauty on aesthetically challenged Lexington Avenue. It was the firm of choice for the prom queen and king of my law school class—the editor in chief of the law journal, a luminous doll-like beauty with a vast family fortune, and her Abercrombie-handsome future husband. They were joined at Davis by enough comely Asian females to cast Memoirs of a Geisha.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 26, 2022 9:00 am

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 26, 2022 9:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 9:31 pm
It's funny that people complain about anon abuse when the dumbest trolls are name accounts.
This. And this particular troll always sounds like an incel.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”