Firms with the most normal or weird people? Another firm culture thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Firms with the most normal or weird people? Another firm culture thread

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:00 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:33 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:44 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:16 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:55 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:15 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:36 pm
WLRK is pretty weird. Nice but weird.
Probably the sleep deprivation from consistently billing 3000+ catching up.
Can anyone confirm whether WLRK associates are in fact billing close to 3000 hours a year?
I'm always mystified by how people just refuse to believe that people at WLRK work substantially more than even the other NYC sweatshops. Their revenue per lawyer is literally double the next highest firm. And yes, I'm sure they still do occasionally get a percentage of the deal, but do we really think their litigators bill out at twice S&C's rates or do they just work more?

If you're looking for random anecdotes, I can tell you that almost no one works less than 80 hours a week.
This is a weird take. I'm not refusing to believe anything. I just want real evidence and not speculation. It is hard to believe that associates that bill 3,000 hours a year still deliver top quality work products. A long time ago, an HBS case study on WLRK reported that WLRK charged clients for the value of service provided, not just billable hours. Things may have changed. But if that's still true to some extent, that may explain the high revenue per lawyer instead of just incredibly large billable hours.

You don't have to be at Wachtell to bill over 80 hours a week. At this satellite office of a V20 firm that I'm in, every associate bills over 80 hours every week.
If you won’t accept the fact that their RPL is nearly $4 million and they do an insane volume of large and complex deals with so few attorneys, then there’s not going to be hard evidence. The corporate people I know there more often than not work over 3,000 hours and some have hit 4,000, and say they are not relative stars to their peers.
You didn't read my post, did you? The high revenue per lawyer may not be all about billable hours as is the case in generic big law firms. 3,000 hours? Yes, that's possible. My friend who used to work at Cleary's HK office did that in one year and lateraled out promptly thereafter. Associates in major Japanese local firms bill over 3,000 hours a year. But 4,000? Come on. Are you a Cravath/STB/DPW/S&C associate that got rejected by WLRK? 4,000 is not possible. Just accept that WLRK associates are smarter and get double the money you earn for working just a bit more hours than you do.
It's not like everyone at WLRK is smarter than everyone in the v5/v10. Maybe smarter on average, and even then "smarter" has the limited scope of "were better at law school"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:03 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:00 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:33 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:44 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:16 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:55 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:15 am

Probably the sleep deprivation from consistently billing 3000+ catching up.
Can anyone confirm whether WLRK associates are in fact billing close to 3000 hours a year?
I'm always mystified by how people just refuse to believe that people at WLRK work substantially more than even the other NYC sweatshops. Their revenue per lawyer is literally double the next highest firm. And yes, I'm sure they still do occasionally get a percentage of the deal, but do we really think their litigators bill out at twice S&C's rates or do they just work more?

If you're looking for random anecdotes, I can tell you that almost no one works less than 80 hours a week.
This is a weird take. I'm not refusing to believe anything. I just want real evidence and not speculation. It is hard to believe that associates that bill 3,000 hours a year still deliver top quality work products. A long time ago, an HBS case study on WLRK reported that WLRK charged clients for the value of service provided, not just billable hours. Things may have changed. But if that's still true to some extent, that may explain the high revenue per lawyer instead of just incredibly large billable hours.

You don't have to be at Wachtell to bill over 80 hours a week. At this satellite office of a V20 firm that I'm in, every associate bills over 80 hours every week.
If you won’t accept the fact that their RPL is nearly $4 million and they do an insane volume of large and complex deals with so few attorneys, then there’s not going to be hard evidence. The corporate people I know there more often than not work over 3,000 hours and some have hit 4,000, and say they are not relative stars to their peers.
You didn't read my post, did you? The high revenue per lawyer may not be all about billable hours as is the case in generic big law firms. 3,000 hours? Yes, that's possible. My friend who used to work at Cleary's HK office did that in one year and lateraled out promptly thereafter. Associates in major Japanese local firms bill over 3,000 hours a year. But 4,000? Come on. Are you a Cravath/STB/DPW/S&C associate that got rejected by WLRK? 4,000 is not possible. Just accept that WLRK associates are smarter and get double the money you earn for working just a bit more hours than you do.
It's not like everyone at WLRK is smarter than everyone in the v5/v10. Maybe smarter on average, and even then "smarter" has the limited scope of "were better at law school"
Just accept that they did a lot better than you did in law school. Whether that's because of superior intellectual capacity or work ethic, up to you. I recall back when I was in law school, I could see that those people that got offers from WLRK and some other as selective firms (lit boutiques) were clearly smarter and got better grades relative to those that went to generic firms. That's the only firm I could imagine turning back time and going back to 1L of law school for

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:37 pm

[/quote]

[/quote]

When firms have a conflict that precludes representation, those firms often more feel comfortable referring clients to Wachtell because Wachtell is less likely to try to horn in on a capital market or financing relationship. This leads to a stream of high billable work for Wachtell. That, compounded with a crop of associates who come in with the expectation of working close to 3,000 hours per year, results in a high PPP and a much higher RPL.

Is anyone "smarter" in this situation? No. Just reasonably intelligent people making life choices based on risk tolerance and compensation desire. If you want more cash as an associate, an increase in your partnership odds, the feeling of being at the top, and have the capacity for doing the work, Wachtell is a great place to be.

But many people turn down Wachtell. They ask around and come to the conclusion that the extra grind in their prime of life is not worth it. And they could be right. Imagine working 2,300 hours a year for your twenties, plus more at times, and still making partner at a firm with close to the same PPP as Wachtell. And maybe you have family considerations. It's a legitimate lifestyle choice.

blair.waldorf

Bronze

Post by blair.waldorf » Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:37 pm
When firms have a conflict that precludes representation, those firms often more feel comfortable referring clients to Wachtell because Wachtell is less likely to try to horn in on a capital market or financing relationship. This leads to a stream of high billable work for Wachtell. That, compounded with a crop of associates who come in with the expectation of working close to 3,000 hours per year, results in a high PPP and a much higher RPL.

Is anyone "smarter" in this situation? No. Just reasonably intelligent people making life choices based on risk tolerance and compensation desire. If you want more cash as an associate, an increase in your partnership odds, the feeling of being at the top, and have the capacity for doing the work, Wachtell is a great place to be.

But many people turn down Wachtell. They ask around and come to the conclusion that the extra grind in their prime of life is not worth it. And they could be right. Imagine working 2,300 hours a year for your twenties, plus more at times, and still making partner at a firm with close to the same PPP as Wachtell. And maybe you have family considerations. It's a legitimate lifestyle choice.
[/quote]

I did not apply to Wachtell, and if I did, I almost certainly would have been rejected, but I would rather put a bullet into my brain than spend some of the best years of my life billing 3000 hours a year. Hell, I turned down V10 firms because I don’t want to bill 2500 hours a year. No amount of money or prestige or exit options is worth spending every waking moment working to me, even for a couple of years.

I can’t be the only law student/lawyer who felt/feels this way.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:37 pm
I don't think you understood what they meant by smarter. No surprise given your quote fail.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:11 pm

Just accept that they did a lot better than you did in law school. Whether that's because of superior intellectual capacity or work ethic, up to you. I recall back when I was in law school, I could see that those people that got offers from WLRK and some other as selective firms (lit boutiques) were clearly smarter and got better grades relative to those that went to generic firms. That's the only firm I could imagine turning back time and going back to 1L of law school for
Correct, they got better grades because I went out 4 nights a week and only studied the last week of every semester. But now that I work in Biglaw, which I take more seriously than law school because it's my literal job, their work is no different than my work.

Do they get paid more? Yes. So does Justin Bieber. So does some random banking associate who just graduated from Kellogg and learned his first Excel shortcut. You act like people need to get down on their knees and admit their inferiority to Wachtell for some weird hierarchical reason. Give it a rest.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:14 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:50 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:13 pm
I've mostly found Paul Comma Weiss attorneys difficult to deal with
Sorry if this is less relevant, but one weird nuance of litigation is that what you see from the other side of the v is not always what someone is like in real life. Posturing is a real thing. For example, there's this one partner at a firm I'm frequently adverse to who I find to be inconsiderate, incomprehensible, incompetent, and generally insufferable. But I also have a really close colleague who is personal friends with that partner who says the partner is the kindest and most genuine person they know. Suffice to say sometimes it's hard to tell much about a firm's culture/employees from the outside.
I work in corporate so my expectation of cooperation is a bit higher than in litigation. on corp side my impression is it's a good firm but they take themselves pretty seriously + let dickhead clients like Apollo (and dickheads partners like Barshay) drive their culture

Of course corp is a bit of a sideshow at PW, and big time litigation is their bread and butter.
At every firm there will be individual people who are great to work with and others who are more difficult, but I find the best indicator of "culture" is what kind of behavior is tolerated.

Culture in lit at PW is also not great. There are some great partners, but some real asshole behavior by partners and senior associates is not only tolerated, but sometimes encouraged. It's a fine place to be for a few years, but wouldn't want to spend my life there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:50 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:13 pm
I've mostly found Paul Comma Weiss attorneys difficult to deal with
Sorry if this is less relevant, but one weird nuance of litigation is that what you see from the other side of the v is not always what someone is like in real life. Posturing is a real thing. For example, there's this one partner at a firm I'm frequently adverse to who I find to be inconsiderate, incomprehensible, incompetent, and generally insufferable. But I also have a really close colleague who is personal friends with that partner who says the partner is the kindest and most genuine person they know. Suffice to say sometimes it's hard to tell much about a firm's culture/employees from the outside.
I work in corporate so my expectation of cooperation is a bit higher than in litigation. on corp side my impression is it's a good firm but they take themselves pretty seriously + let dickhead clients like Apollo (and dickheads partners like Barshay) drive their culture

Of course corp is a bit of a sideshow at PW, and big time litigation is their bread and butter.
there are a lot of dumb posts on this board recently but this one stands out for not engendering some justified vitriol.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:21 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Correct, they got better grades because I went out 4 nights a week and only studied the last week of every semester. But now that I work in Biglaw, which I take more seriously than law school because it's my literal job, their work is no different than my work.
I too could have gone to WLRK but I was too busy having sex and partying with my girlfriend. she lives in Canada you've never met her

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:08 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I too could have gone to WLRK but I was too busy having sex and partying with my girlfriend. she lives in Canada you've never met her
Man I love partying and girls too. But obviously I studied during 1L as I was mature enough. The typical "I too could have gotten good grades if I studied" excuse. So immature. That worked in college but not when you are a grown up man, an attorney for that matter. Most people study hard during 1L and don't put in much effort from 2L. Hahaha the typical "I could have done X if I tried." We get it. You didn't want it that much. But chances are, you probably wouldn't have done it even if you tried. Just learn to recognize excellence. Learn to live with your mediocrity. You are not that special after all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:30 am
Anonymous User wrote:

there are a lot of dumb posts on this board recently but this one stands out for not engendering some justified vitriol.
I'll be starting there in corporate later this year and am curious to know exactly more about this. Are you referring to the fact that corporate at PW has grown steadily in recent years?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:26 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Man I love partying and girls too. But obviously I studied during 1L as I was mature enough. The typical "I too could have gotten good grades if I studied" excuse. So immature. That worked in college but not when you are a grown up man, an attorney for that matter. Most people study hard during 1L and don't put in much effort from 2L. Hahaha the typical "I could have done X if I tried." We get it. You didn't want it that much. But chances are, you probably wouldn't have done it even if you tried. Just learn to recognize excellence. Learn to live with your mediocrity. You are not that special after all.
This type of back and forth is that little flame that keeps me coming back to TLS. Well done, gents.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:26 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You guys are so pathetic. Not everyone was gunning to be a top law student. My goal was NYC corporate, so being a top student would have been a waste of my time and energy. I chose not to go 100%. It was a conscious decision and I'm living with the results.

As for Wachtell, who cares? Some people work there, and surely others desired to work there but weren't able to snag an offer. But I never had any interest in that firm -- if I really wanted WLRK, a SCOTUS clerkship, DOJ honors, etc. I'd have approached law school differently. Would more effort have guaranteed a spot at WLRK? Not necessarily -- and can't prove the counterfactual (had I done X I would have gotten Y) -- but again it's a moot point since was never my goal.

Your thesis seems to be that everyone who didn't gun in law school and get a job at WLRK needs to admit their (apparently clear) inferiority. I think that's a bullshit mentality, highly typical of law school types and TLS posters, that we all need to fall in line and worship at the feet of those who've obtained preftige. When I work across from WLRK it feels the same as working across from Cravath or Simpson. The WLRK people probably did get better grades in law school, but IMO they aren't all that special either. We're all just people doing our jobs.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:26 pm

Your thesis seems to be that everyone who didn't gun in law school and get a job at WLRK needs to admit their (apparently clear) inferiority. I think that's a bullshit mentality, highly typical of law school types and TLS posters, that we all need to fall in line and worship at the feet of those who've obtained preftige. When I work across from WLRK it feels the same as working across from Cravath or Simpson. The WLRK people probably did get better grades in law school, but IMO they aren't all that special either. We're all just people doing our jobs.
I think it's hilarious you're talking about WLRK attorneys. you wouldn't say this stuff to their faces. they're jacked, not only that but they wear the freshest clothes, eat at the chillest restaurants and hang out with the hottest dudes.

ur pathetic lol

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:54 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

I think it's hilarious you're talking about WLRK attorneys. you wouldn't say this stuff to their faces. they're jacked, not only that but they wear the freshest clothes, eat at the chillest restaurants and hang out with the hottest dudes.

ur pathetic lol
Finally an obvious troll post. Law school folks / TLS users can be so weird that it's very hard to tell sometimes. My closing thought is we could all use a little more gratitude and a bit less dick measuring. With that, I have to go bang my smoking hot girlfriend from Canada. She likes to wear my DLA Piper snuggy after.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:16 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:48 am
STB is people who don’t speak at your law school that got better grades than you. And resent you.
Guess that depends what school you went to. At the top schools STB is for people whose grades are too soft for CSM/DPW.
Totally agreed. Never heard of people choosing STB over CSM

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:21 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
STB is people who don’t speak at your law school that got better grades than you. And resent you.
Guess that depends what school you went to. At the top schools STB is for people whose grades are too soft for CSM/DPW.
This simply isnt true. A very large majority of my classmates that chose STB had offers from one or both of CSM/DPW
Which law school is this? CSM just doesn't hand out a lot of offers so the assertion that people who got STB offers also got CSM offers is already suspect
Also, don't forget the fact that STB needs to hand a lot more offers to fill the same number of seats as CSM.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lost3039

New

Post by lost3039 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:54 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

ur pathetic lol
and yet they don't have swag

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:44 am

Which firms have the most weirdos who post about how smart they/others are?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:24 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This simply isnt true. A very large majority of my classmates that chose STB had offers from one or both of CSM/DPW
Which law school is this? CSM just doesn't hand out a lot of offers so the assertion that people who got STB offers also got CSM offers is already suspect
Also, don't forget the fact that STB needs to hand a lot more offers to fill the same number of seats as CSM.
At HLS last year Cravath had had a 44:23 ratio of offer:acceptance. STB had 63:9. Skadden was 42:13. Debevoise was 42:8.

Also notable is Milbank with a 16:7 ratio, one of the higher percentages actually. Curious to see where they end up this coming season after the Vault bump.

Sackboy

Silver

Post by Sackboy » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:35 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
At HLS last year Cravath had had a 44:23 ratio of offer:acceptance. STB had 63:9. Skadden was 42:13. Debevoise was 42:8.

Also notable is Milbank with a 16:7 ratio, one of the higher percentages actually. Curious to see where they end up this coming season after the Vault bump.
It'll be interesting to see where CSM goes, because I think a large draw of was its lockstep partnership.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:44 am
Which firms have the most weirdos who post about how smart they/others are?
Modifying this question to "which firms do weirdos post about the most?"

1. Kirkland
2. Latham
2. Wachtell
3. Random boutiques
4. CSM
5. STB
6. JD

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:06 pm
At every firm there will be individual people who are great to work with and others who are more difficult, but I find the best indicator of "culture" is what kind of behavior is tolerated.

Culture in lit at PW is also not great. There are some great partners, but some real asshole behavior by partners and senior associates is not only tolerated, but sometimes encouraged. It's a fine place to be for a few years, but wouldn't want to spend my life there.
Is there any chance you or anyone else can say more about this/litigation partners/seniors at PW?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 11, 2022 8:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Do you have the ratios for S&C, DPW, PW, Latham, Cleary?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 11, 2022 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 8:10 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Do you have the ratios for S&C, DPW, PW, Latham, Cleary?
All except PW (which is a bit lower) are between 25-35% - assuming you meant NYC for all

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”