Kirkland Megathread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Kirkland Megathread

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:26 pm
I know this has probably been talked to death, but Kirkland really is the worst firm for culture right? The associates are all extremely overworked but backstab each other constantly. They will go out of their way to copy in partners on emails in an effort to make themselves look better.

If you want to work at Kirkland be prepared for totally unrealistic deadlines that, if you miss, will get a strong rebuke with an entire team copied in a deliberate effort to humiliate you. Most partners don't even care/read emails, but like why would someone subject themselves to this? Oh wait, most don't, hence Kirkland's crazy attrition rate. Beware.
I really don't see much backstabbing among associates. There is one very special associate in the Austin office of Kirkland who is directly responsible for like 15 associates quitting and who is known for shamelessly backstabbing, but he is really the only person I can think of.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:19 pm
Can anyone give a review of funds & specifically of the exits?

The firm is pushing the group pretty hard. I have read online and heard from associates that - to the extent possible - it’s actually the most lifestyle-friendly of the corporate groups due to the predictability of the workstreams/schedules. Would love to hear of any first/second-hand takes on the work, hours, and exits.

Thanks!
Seeing this as well. Any current or former IFG folks have thoughts?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:59 am

Former IFG here: the IFG team has some of the best funds lawyers in the country, top top notch. The assholes are few and far between, but mainly concentrated in the NY office. Be very wary of NSPs outside your office who call offering compliments asking if you can help with a deal - sometimes it’s a train wreck and all the other IFG associates who are closer to the client/situation are avoiding it on purpose.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:09 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I know this has probably been talked to death, but Kirkland really is the worst firm for culture right? The associates are all extremely overworked but backstab each other constantly. They will go out of their way to copy in partners on emails in an effort to make themselves look better.

If you want to work at Kirkland be prepared for totally unrealistic deadlines that, if you miss, will get a strong rebuke with an entire team copied in a deliberate effort to humiliate you. Most partners don't even care/read emails, but like why would someone subject themselves to this? Oh wait, most don't, hence Kirkland's crazy attrition rate. Beware.
I really don't see much backstabbing among associates. There is one very special associate in the Austin office of Kirkland who is directly responsible for like 15 associates quitting and who is known for shamelessly backstabbing, but he is really the only person I can think of.
Being a TX NSP - I have no idea who this is. Do the SPs there (or NSPs) know who this is? I am always shocked when I hear about this. I feel like the culture in TX is pretty good, I just hope when associates leave - they are honest with why so these types of things can be fixed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

KE person here. I never experienced this. Maybe some offices or groups are worse than others, but this kind of blanket statement isn't accurate. Every firm has seriously bad apples.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:11 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

KE person here. I never experienced this. Maybe some offices or groups are worse than others, but this kind of blanket statement isn't accurate. Every firm has seriously bad apples.
Lol yeah seriously. Remember that there are like 3000+ lawyers in the firm, and at least half of them came over from other firms. What, did we go around and carefully poach only the biggest assholes from every other firm? Kirkland’s culture is mostly an amalgamation of the cultures of all the competitor firms in that particular market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:38 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Being a TX NSP - I have no idea who this is. Do the SPs there (or NSPs) know who this is? I am always shocked when I hear about this. I feel like the culture in TX is pretty good, I just hope when associates leave - they are honest with why so these types of things can be fixed.
As a TX associate, I know who these people are referring to because it’s been brought up on TLS before and I asked around. I’ve never had a bad experience with this person, but apparently others have. I’m guessing that the size of the problem might be exaggerated (based on the details of the stories I’ve personally heard) but it does sound like there is indeed an issue.

As far as I know, nobody has ever said anything to SPs or NSPs. I agree that people should speak up if something is negative, especially in exit interviews. I’ve generally been very pleased with the folks I’ve worked with since coming over here and I get the feeling that the partners would give a shit about correcting or removing bad apples, especially if there’s a direct link to attrition as TLS claims.

Do we have any sort of system for anonymous feedback? That would probably be a great outlet for uncovering issues that associates don’t feel comfortable talking to partners about (especially juniors).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:22 am

Any insight on 2L/3L hiring at the Miami office?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:30 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

As a TX associate, I know who these people are referring to because it’s been brought up on TLS before and I asked around. I’ve never had a bad experience with this person, but apparently others have. I’m guessing that the size of the problem might be exaggerated (based on the details of the stories I’ve personally heard) but it does sound like there is indeed an issue.

As far as I know, nobody has ever said anything to SPs or NSPs. I agree that people should speak up if something is negative, especially in exit interviews. I’ve generally been very pleased with the folks I’ve worked with since coming over here and I get the feeling that the partners would give a shit about correcting or removing bad apples, especially if there’s a direct link to attrition as TLS claims.

Do we have any sort of system for anonymous feedback? That would probably be a great outlet for uncovering issues that associates don’t feel comfortable talking to partners about (especially juniors).
The TX Partners (capital p, not the bros who were DLA Piper associates 3 months ago and lateralled in) are very aware who this person is. He is infamous. They don't care - it is sort of a "don't care how the sausage is made situation". With that said, they should care, as we have lost some of our best juniors / mid-levels directly because of this guy.

With that said, I do disagree with the broader sentiment regarding backstabbing - honestly haven't seen this at all except with this associate, and he is a very special case.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thisismytlsuername

Bronze

Post by thisismytlsuername » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:15 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

The TX Partners (capital p, not the bros who were DLA Piper associates 3 months ago and lateralled in) are very aware who this person is. He is infamous. They don't care - it is sort of a "don't care how the sausage is made situation". With that said, they should care, as we have lost some of our best juniors / mid-levels directly because of this guy.

With that said, I do disagree with the broader sentiment regarding backstabbing - honestly haven't seen this at all except with this associate, and he is a very special case.
lmao I love this. "The bosses are very aware of this absolute piece of shit who is directly responsible for multiple people quitting but they don't care. Other than that though, this place is great!"

Joachim2017

Bronze

Post by Joachim2017 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:42 pm

thisismytlsuername wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:33 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:15 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

lmao I love this. "The bosses are very aware of this absolute piece of shit who is directly responsible for multiple people quitting but they don't care. Other than that though, this place is great!"
If this person is that bad, and it's well known, don't see why you don't just name the person. What else could help future generations correct his/her conduct, given that the SPs themselves know and don't care? Call them out!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:01 pm

Literally just name this person’s initials or something anonymously. I work in Houston K&E and cannot figure out who this Austin villain is.

doctor

New

Post by doctor » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:22 am
Any insight on 2L/3L hiring at the Miami office?
PM me

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:01 pm
Literally just name this person’s initials or something anonymously. I work in Houston K&E and cannot figure out who this Austin villain is.
Seriously would love to know. I think bad assumption being made about how aware partners are.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:14 pm
Ultramar vistas wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:48 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:44 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:24 pm
Can anyone provide info on the Dallas office? What are they known for? Assuming they have funds, m&a and cap mkts?
All correct as far as work . Not sure if they have any lit tbh. Plenty of energy work but not as much as Houston, though in my experience plenty of deals still get cross-staffed between the two offices (this may be changing now). Beautiful, brand new office space in Uptown/Highland Park. Managing partner is a younger guy that hustles and there seems to be plenty of work (not shocking, its KE).
They have a pretty built out litigation team.
any insight on whether they’re trying to grow the corp group there, specifically funds? Looks like they only have 2 partners there, with the third split b/twn Houston.

For context, I’m a 2L SA at another office and may be looking to transfer to Dallas between this summer and start (for good reason).
Funds is definitely a long term area of focus. TX Funds broader practice is super busy and is agnostic of which office folks are in.

hail2pitt06

New

Post by hail2pitt06 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:15 pm
For those interested in KE Restructuring, some notes from the summer program zoom:

Recruiting stated explicitly that a good number of slots will be filled by Pre-OCI interviewers.

Lower-tier schools are in-play for getting a slot, but you need to be in top quarter of the class.

What is with NDLS and restructuring? Out of 6 or 7 total summers, 5 are joining restructuring.
Possibly a dumb question... do you have to stay in restructuring if they hire you over the summer for that group? I have less than zero interest in that practice area but an interest in KE lit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:17 pm

hail2pitt06 wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:31 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
For those interested in KE Restructuring, some notes from the summer program zoom:

Recruiting stated explicitly that a good number of slots will be filled by Pre-OCI interviewers.

Lower-tier schools are in-play for getting a slot, but you need to be in top quarter of the class.

What is with NDLS and restructuring? Out of 6 or 7 total summers, 5 are joining restructuring.
Possibly a dumb question... do you have to stay in restructuring if they hire you over the summer for that group? I have less than zero interest in that practice area but an interest in KE lit.

My office doesn’t have restructuring, but I can tell you that as between lit and transactional, you’re supposed to be in whichever bucket they hire you for. However, I know multiple people that swapped either during the summer or when they started full-time. Basically, as long as the partners in charge of the one you’re switching to approve, no centralized HR policy will get in your way. Whether those partners approve it is partially a function of how much they like you, but mostly about whether they have a need for you and think you can deliver.

It’s generally much easier to switch from litigation to transactional then the other way around, because there is so much more demand for associates in transactional (and in some offices, the litigators are pickier about credentials). But I’ve seen people do both.

Again, I’m not sure how restructuring fits into all this but I assume the general principles apply.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:22 pm

A little off topic but I didn't think it warranted its own thread - I lateraled in March to KE corporate and am still really slow (like, <100 hours/month slow). I'm getting staffed on deals but the work just isn't trickling down to the junior level (seems like midlevels are doing a lot of stuff juniors typically would, even when I offer to - like taking the first pass at reviewing disclosure schedules, first drafts of ancillaries, etc). When I do get work I do it as quickly and well as I can, so I don't think that's the issue. At what point should I start panicking about hours and potentially getting laid off?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:22 pm
A little off topic but I didn't think it warranted its own thread - I lateraled in March to KE corporate and am still really slow (like, <100 hours/month slow). I'm getting staffed on deals but the work just isn't trickling down to the junior level (seems like midlevels are doing a lot of stuff juniors typically would, even when I offer to - like taking the first pass at reviewing disclosure schedules, first drafts of ancillaries, etc). When I do get work I do it as quickly and well as I can, so I don't think that's the issue. At what point should I start panicking about hours and potentially getting laid off?
I would not worry. The firm learned its lesson not hiring in the beginning of COVID, there’s too much dry powder for this to last forever in PE and could mean a great buying opportunity for disciplined funds, and the folks who will be on the chopping block are folks who are billing <100/mo. but also turning down work (and often also delivering mediocre work product). If your attitude is good and you’re a team player you’ll be fine, if things really turn you’ll just retool into restructuring like what happened in the early days of COVID with the infamous gravy train email.

If you were in my office (non-NY or Chicago) I’d probably recommend going to the NSPs in your practice group on a weekly basis saying you’re available if they have a new deal come in, those folks often tend to get more work than the ones who sit back and wait for it to come to them. Not sure how other offices work though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:28 pm

For Pre Oci with Kirkland was the the time between a screener and call back typically?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:48 pm

I know Kirkland NY/DC don't have much WC/investigations work, but does Chicago? Curious about the practice area/city crossover to see if I can avoid living in NYC lol

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:28 pm
For Pre Oci with Kirkland was the the time between a screener and call back typically?
1 day between screener and call back. 30 minutes between call back and offer. (Chicago office).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:59 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:28 pm
1 day between screener and call back. 30 minutes between call back and offer. (Chicago office).
So if I had an NYC screener late last week and haven’t heard back should I take that as a dong?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:48 pm
I know Kirkland NY/DC don't have much WC/investigations work, but does Chicago? Curious about the practice area/city crossover to see if I can avoid living in NYC lol
Yes, a number of Chicago attorneys primarily do WC/investigations work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:04 pm

hail2pitt06 wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:31 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Very hard to make this switch as a summer unless you have excellent credentials (i.e. would’ve been able to get an offer in K&E lit in the first instance if you had sought one).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”