Kirkland Megathread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Kirkland Megathread

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:49 pm
Is the 10K bar stipend from Kirkland taxed? also, do they provide any other stipends prior to your start date? I'm not doing PILI.

Also when do we get the start date? Historically has it been early September or late September?
Start date is office dependent. My office has done two waves before, one in mid September and one in early or mid October. If you have a conflict, HR will almost certainly accommodate you starting later than your class.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:03 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:49 pm
Is the 10K bar stipend from Kirkland taxed? also, do they provide any other stipends prior to your start date? I'm not doing PILI.

Also when do we get the start date? Historically has it been early September or late September?
Start date is office dependent. My office has done two waves before, one in mid September and one in early or mid October. If you have a conflict, HR will almost certainly accommodate you starting later than your class.
For reference, my office gave us a choice between mid August and late September last year. This year, they all started mid September. Agreed that LRD will probably be flexible if you ask.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:02 pm
This was a nice little write-up of the apparent disaster that is the culture of our Asia practice:

https://www.ft.com/content/09f18382-120 ... 0544a58f8e
And its financial performance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:16 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:46 am
Did y'all hear about the IP associate in SF that got fired and sued based on sex discrimination? Any truth to that?
I just read the complaint, which can be found online (the case is Kovalenko v. Kirkland & Ellis, filed in N.D. Cal.). It's a little confounding in that the associate seems like she was hired with a lot of enthusiasm from the IP partners in her office, did good work, was recognized (in written communications by partners) for doing good work, and then was abruptly fired on the basis that her work was not up to par.

So there's clearly missing details. But it seems like it's not a crazy complaint overall.

What should really be terrifying to all associates at K&E is the structure of the review/termination process here. You think you're doing fine and then all of a sudden you get a call/meeting and told you're being let go. Yes, the termination package can be generous, but it's hard to consistently perform well when you know there's a chance the partners will decide you're not performing at the level you "should be" and fire you, with no period of opportunity for correction or real advance notice about ways to improve.

They really need to do more than just a one-off annual review. Yes, it takes time for busy partners to do that, and they probably find it annoying, but it's absolutely in everyone's interest to invest in associates by doing quarterly reviews rather than annual.
Felt that the complaint was a bit ridiculous and unusually repetitive. Noticed that at no point were this associate's hours mentioned. I've heard from individuals familiar with the situation that she was billing far below expectation and that she was incredibly difficult around scheduling and time conflicts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:16 am

Anyone got the scoop on the corporate associates in TX that were laid off?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:16 am
https://www.law.com/americanlawyer/2022 ... e-reviews/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:04 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:16 am
https://www.law.com/americanlawyer/2022 ... e-reviews/
Already discussed to death here and TLS, and on Reddit/Fishbowl over a month ago, the article is just very behind the news. It’s ~25 out of ~3000 across US offices, aka not much of a story. Also, tons of rumors (on Fishbowl, NEP, and in real life) about the same thing across a ton of other firms, they just aren’t getting coverage yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:34 am

Can someone provide detailed info surrounding the website bio / photo process? how much say do you get on what's on your bio? do you submit a form? and when do most people get pictures taken? do you get a say in anything here? thanks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:34 am
Can someone provide detailed info surrounding the website bio / photo process? how much say do you get on what's on your bio? do you submit a form? and when do most people get pictures taken? do you get a say in anything here? thanks
Yes you submit a form. Subsequent updates (for new matters you’ve worked on or whatever) are emailed to the team that handles website bios and they generally put whatever you wrote as long as it’s standard. Photos are organized by hour office (our stubs had them a few weeks ago), though if you’re a lateral I guess probably ask LRD.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:48 am

Anyone heard any rumblings about what bonuses will look like this year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:48 am
Here's how this will work. There will be a presentation on this topic from Ballis or his henchman in a couple weeks. Between now and Ballis' presentation, there will be about a dozen random anonymous KE associates here reporting random anecdotes about what they "heard" from a partner e.g., "I heard it's going to be a GREAT YEAR"; "I heard from my super senior best friend partner it's going to be TOUGH"; "I heard m&a associates are going to get HOSED"; "My partner mentor on the firm committee swearsies that litigation is going to get REWARDED." None of these contradictory anecdotes will have any predictive value.

In a couple weeks, at the presentation, Ballis or his henchman will talk about how strong the firm's financial performance has been even in this "trying time" (trying time Jon? Are you making only $22m this year?). He will announce that everyone who has billed at least 2,000 hours will "beat the market" (ignoring the subtle shift in policy that began last year; before 2021, you didn't need to hit 2,000 hours to "beat the market"). A slide will be shown with some juiced up crazy world number that suggests, e.g., the average associate will get 1.87x Cravath! "It's been a great year and the firm appreciates your hard work! You are going to be well rewarded!" Associates will leave the presentation with dreams of new Jaguars and trips to Paris in their heads.

Bonuses will be released. The numbers will slowly trickle out. Junior associates will fare the best and will see a multiplier of around 1.15-1.2x with some random 1.5xs thrown in there for partner pets. This gets good press. The multiplier will quickly compress with seniority. Senior associates will see multipliers of closer to 1.05, 1.1x, a few breakout 1.15xs. For some people billing close to 2,000, it'll literally be Cravath + a k or two for technical adherence to the promise. Importantly, these figures will often seem to bear no relationship to hours billed -- we'll see some mid-level with a 2,100 hour year boasting about his 1.25x multiplier while a senior associate who billed 2,600 hours and is on the verge of a breakdown will be griping about getting only $10,000 more than Cravath.

People will complain. "Old Kirkland paid 2x, 3x Cravath!" "Transactional dragged us down this year!" "Ballis broke his promise!" There will be a single article run about this on ATL and a couple weeks of back and forth bickering on TLS. In January, expectations will reset and people will begrudgingly return to their work, sort of satisfied, sort of dissatisfied, to await a repeat of the entire cycle next year.

There you go. I just saved you refreshing TLS 50x times, checking ATL, and gossiping with colleagues for the next five weeks. There's the entire cycle, spelled out, we can all go back to diligence checklists and brief writing now. Thank
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:59 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Here's how this will work. There will be a presentation in a couple weeks. Ballis or his henchman will talk about how strong the firm's financial performance has been even in this "trying time" (trying time Jon? Are you making only $22m this year?). He will announce that everyone who has billed at least 2,000 hours will "beat the market" (ignoring the subtle shift in policy that began last year; before 2021, you didn't need to hit 2,000 hours to "beat the market"). A slide will be shown with some juiced up crazy world number that suggests, e.g., the average associate will get 1.87x Cravath! "It's been a great year and the firm appreciates your hard work! You are going to be well rewarded!" Associates will leave the presentation with dreams of new Jaguars and trips to Paris in their heads.

Bonuses will be released. The numbers will slowly trickle out. Junior associates will fare the best and will see a multiplier of around 1.15-1.2x with some random 1.5xs thrown in there for partner pets. This gets good press. The multiplier will quickly compress with seniority. Senior associates will see multipliers of closer to 1.05, 1.1x, a few breakout 1.15xs. For some people billing close to 2,000, it'll literally be Cravath + a k or two for technical adherence to the promise. Importantly, these figures will often seem to bear no relationship to hours billed -- we'll see some mid-level with a 2,100 hour year boasting about his 1.25x multiplier while a senior associate who billed 2,600 hours and is on the verge of a breakdown will be griping about getting only $10,000 more than Cravath.

People will complain. "Old Kirkland paid 2x, 3x Cravath!" "Transactional dragged us down this year!" "Ballis broke his promise!" There will be a single article run about this on ATL and a couple weeks of back and forth bickering on TLS. In January, expectations will reset and people will begrudgingly return to their work, sort of satisfied, sort of dissatisfied, to await a repeat of the entire cycle next year.

There you go. I just saved you refreshing TLS 50x times, checking ATL, and gossiping with colleagues for the next five weeks. There's the entire cycle, spelled out, we can all go back to diligence checklists and brief writing now. Thank
I really like it here

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:59 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Here's how this will work. There will be a presentation on this topic from Ballis or his henchman in a couple weeks. Between now and Ballis' presentation, there will be about a dozen random anonymous KE associates here reporting random anecdotes about what they "heard" from a partner e.g., "I heard it's going to be a GREAT YEAR"; "I heard from my super senior best friend partner it's going to be TOUGH"; "I heard m&a associates are going to get HOSED"; "My partner mentor on the firm committee swearsies that litigation is going to get REWARDED." None of these contradictory anecdotes will have any predictive value.

In a couple weeks, at the presentation, Ballis or his henchman will talk about how strong the firm's financial performance has been even in this "trying time" (trying time Jon? Are you making only $22m this year?). He will announce that everyone who has billed at least 2,000 hours will "beat the market" (ignoring the subtle shift in policy that began last year; before 2021, you didn't need to hit 2,000 hours to "beat the market"). A slide will be shown with some juiced up crazy world number that suggests, e.g., the average associate will get 1.87x Cravath! "It's been a great year and the firm appreciates your hard work! You are going to be well rewarded!" Associates will leave the presentation with dreams of new Jaguars and trips to Paris in their heads.

*slow clap*

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:07 pm

what is the reimbursement policy for food/dinner at k&e? can you do it from home? is the policy strictly enforced if you can only order after a certain time?

and any details or news about anything involving the new chicago office?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:40 am

Any insight into Kirkland Dallas lit?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:15 am

Is the LA office letting go of junior corporate associates?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:11 am

What's Kirkland's position on military reservists? Have a friend who received a commission as a reservist (not sure if JAG or not) and a return offer to Kirkland after graduation, but is not sure how to bring it up, especially in light of recent layoffs (he seems skeptical of USERRA protections).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:05 pm

Maybe a long shot but does anyone know the timing of when you would find out you've made shares out of NSP? Does the conversation typically happen as part of your NSP "review" (60 second phone call), which they usually do just a few days before Christmas? Or at a different time? I know last year when Ballis made the announcement about shortening of the track in early-December supposedly people found out about shares that same day but not sure if that was an aberration from normal practice because they were rolling out the policy change. Any info appreciated.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:05 pm
Maybe a long shot but does anyone know the timing of when you would find out you've made shares out of NSP? Does the conversation typically happen as part of your NSP "review" (60 second phone call), which they usually do just a few days before Christmas? Or at a different time? I know last year when Ballis made the announcement about shortening of the track in early-December supposedly people found out about shares that same day but not sure if that was an aberration from normal practice because they were rolling out the policy change. Any info appreciated.
The call goes out around the time of the holiday party

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:07 pm
what is the reimbursement policy for food/dinner at k&e? can you do it from home? is the policy strictly enforced if you can only order after a certain time?

bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:57 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

bump
I think it’s like $60, not from home, no set time cutoff but rather after you’ve worked (I think) 9+ hours that day. I never really use it since I almost always work from home though, maybe someone who regularly gets late night dinner can comment on the nuances. Note that travel/recruiting/mentorship meals are different - $40 breakfast/$50 lunch/$125 dinner.

The only thing I know about the new Chicago office is that it’s supposed to be very nice, and considering the firm’s track record with other recent offices I’m sure they’re sparing little expense.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:29 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

bump
I think it’s like $60, not from home, no set time cutoff but rather after you’ve worked (I think) 9+ hours that day. I never really use it since I almost always work from home though, maybe someone who regularly gets late night dinner can comment on the nuances. Note that travel/recruiting/mentorship meals are different - $40 breakfast/$50 lunch/$125 dinner.

The only thing I know about the new Chicago office is that it’s supposed to be very nice, and considering the firm’s track record with other recent offices I’m sure they’re sparing little expense.
Here's the relevant info on the Chicago office: It's going to have glass-walled offices. Everyone is in an uproar about it but the "Powers That Be" are refusing to listen, at least for now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:56 pm

Anyone have a sense of if NY/Chicago is the power center for restructuring, or if there's any difference between the two offices re: longevity/NSP promotion?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:59 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:29 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

bump

Here's the relevant info on the Chicago office: It's going to have glass-walled offices. Everyone is in an uproar about it but the "Powers That Be" are refusing to listen, at least for now.
Wait, you mean outer walls? Obviously not the walls between offices? So people in hallway can see you, but not your office neighbor right? If so, I think that's how most the new offices are.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:56 pm
Anyone have a sense of if NY/Chicago is the power center for restructuring, or if there's any difference between the two offices re: longevity/NSP promotion?
My sense is that they are roughly the same.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”