Kirkland Megathread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Kirkland Megathread

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:49 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:27 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:00 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:45 pm
Does anyone have insight into lateral reviews? I lateraled about 11 months ago and I am pretty concerned. My hours were very hot and then cold and then hot again. I had a 3 month stretch of brutally low hours (low 100s) but a few months over 225 hours. Had a hard time juggling deals during my really busy months and feel I fell behind on some deals. I came over from a firm where I was doing typical 1st/2nd year work here as a 3rd/4th year there. Firm kept me as a 4th year. Transactional in one of our bigger cities though I work cross-office a bit.

I read this like 5x and still don't understand it.
Means at their old firm they were doing work equivalent to what a first year at K&E does, when they themselves were a 3rd/4th year.
For what it’s worth, I’m a K&E corporate junior and have noticed this as compared to friends at other firms, opposing counsel, etc. I’m realizing that we are routinely given work that might go to a midlevel at another firm (in addition to the usual junior tasks, though a lot of that can also be farmed out to PAs, Doc Services, etc). Also, that this continues up the ladder - our midlevels often do the work of seniors, seniors do the work of NSPs, and NSPs do the work of SPs.

This is a blessing and a curse. On one hand, it’s an off-the-deep-end trial-by-fire and the learning curve basically remains steep for a long time. On the other hand, you graduate into more interesting and valuable work very quickly, and your skills get developed way faster (out of necessity) so it’s a hell of a learning experience. I think whether all that stuff is overall positive or negative depends on your personality and whether you want to actually build a longer-term BigLaw career or just hang around a couple years paying off loans and then bounce.
I was told this during an interview with K&E. This was appealing to me, but I did not choose K&E because I was under the impression this is not necessarily exclusive to K&E.

Can someone comment on whether this is materially different than any other V10 corporate group? I would imagine in particular if you are an excellent associate, you will be (I don't know if rewarded is the right word here) given tasks of a "higher" class year. Similarly, if you're at K&E and you're not considered "trustworthy" I'd guess you're still given tasks of your class year and lower.

Happy to be proven wrong, but genuinely interested.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:19 am

What is remote work looking like for litigators? I am thinking of pursuing Kirkland after my COA clerkship but am prioritizing remote work (I am from a non-major market and would like to live there).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:19 am
What is remote work looking like for litigators? I am thinking of pursuing Kirkland after my COA clerkship but am prioritizing remote work (I am from a non-major market and would like to live there).

Probably going to become less and less possible to work remotely. We're told to come in to the office every Tues-Thurs, and they monitor that through the security key card in the lobby so they know who's doing it. And I've heard that when the new crop of first years come in, firm will push in-office work more and more so that it is cemented as the norm from the start. So they want to phase out WFH as much as possible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:53 am
Chicago RX summers are scheduled for 10 minute "summer review" zoom meetings with a NSP next week. Do those receiving offers receive them at the end of that meeting? If you're not receiving an offer, would they likely schedule a different type of meeting to review your summer performance (not 10 minutes or maybe not on zoom)?
BUMP

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:54 pm

:mrgreen:
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:32 am
Anonymous User wrote:

Probably going to become less and less possible to work remotely. We're told to come in to the office every Tues-Thurs, and they monitor that through the security key card in the lobby so they know who's doing it. And I've heard that when the new crop of first years come in, firm will push in-office work more and more so that it is cemented as the norm from the start. So they want to phase out WFH as much as possible.
Come on dude. This sounds like an urban legend. How do you know / think they’re “monitoring?” I know plenty of people consistently coming in no more than 1-2 times per week and no one seems to give a fuck (qualifiers: as long as they’re responsive, billing, available in-person when needed, and doing good work—important qualifiers).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:54 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Come on dude. This sounds like an urban legend. How do you know / think they’re “monitoring?” I know plenty of people consistently coming in no more than 1-2 times per week and no one seems to give a fuck (qualifiers: as long as they’re responsive, billing, available in-person when needed, and doing good work—important qualifiers).
I’m not at Kirkland, but I know it’s easy for a firm’s management to monitor because it happened at my firm. IT can just give them a print out with data on aggregate and individual attendance based on swipes. Not that hard to imagine (and I would be shocked if it isn’t happening at most firms ).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

At our office one of the SPs is calling people who don't attend regularly enough and is quoting attendance % numbers - we have been told they are checking security entries (although we don't know if its in-office or lobby usage). Supposedly Ballis is down the neck of SPs for office attendance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:01 am

The pressure is certainly on to be in person, can’t say the pressure is any different or worse than say to taking more work etc

No negative consequences as far as I can tell

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How do I know? Because I was straight-up told this by an SP in the NY office. Any other questions?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:54 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How do I know? Because I was straight-up told this by an SP in the NY office. Any other questions?
This is such a characteristically (bad) Kirkland reply. Taking a shooting the shit casual exchange and escalating it into a “fuck you too!” Thanks for the info; consider yoga.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:18 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

At our office one of the SPs is calling people who don't attend regularly enough and is quoting attendance % numbers - we have been told they are checking security entries (although we don't know if its in-office or lobby usage). Supposedly Ballis is down the neck of SPs for office attendance.
In TX offices it is always an absolute ghost town. Never more than a couple SPs, maybe a couple NSPs and very few associates. Have never felt external pressure, just a different office perspective.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:11 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

In TX offices it is always an absolute ghost town. Never more than a couple SPs, maybe a couple NSPs and very few associates. Have never felt external pressure, just a different office perspective.
Echoing this perspective from Chicago. There are definitely more people coming in now than there were 3 months ago and I have some in-person meetings too but there are plenty of people whom I never see in-person and I've never felt any sort of pressure to be in. Sounds like there may be more pressure to be in-person in the NY office?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:06 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Echoing this perspective from Chicago. There are definitely more people coming in now than there were 3 months ago and I have some in-person meetings too but there are plenty of people whom I never see in-person and I've never felt any sort of pressure to be in. Sounds like there may be more pressure to be in-person in the NY office?
Continued monitoring of attendance in the SF office as well. Been told pressure is coming from Chicago since turnout has been poor.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:35 pm

Do we think KE Chi is going to stop giving us free food (cafeteria, vending machines, etc) after moving to wolf point?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:02 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Continued monitoring of attendance in the SF office as well. Been told pressure is coming from Chicago since turnout has been poor.
Same in DC. Had two SPs mention in team meetings that leadership was watching swipes. One strongly implied that low swipes on Tue/Wed/Thu could affect your review in the fall.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:55 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:02 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Same in DC. Had two SPs mention in team meetings that leadership was watching swipes. One strongly implied that low swipes on Tue/Wed/Thu could affect your review in the fall.
"Johnny, thanks for billing 2,300 hours to the partnership's profits this year and being instantaneously available and generating great work product. However, you were *not* present and accounted for for the Margarita Wednesday mixers in July and August. This is a serious black mark against your future career prospects here are Kirkland & Ellis. We demand participation in Margarita Wednesday mixers. Therefore, your bonus this year is $0. Thank you, however, for your millions in revenue. Long live Margarita Wednesdays."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:42 am

So it looks like they are monitoring, or there's a trend towards monitoring, in NYC, DC, and SF. But no, I'm sure it's an "urban legend" some of us are making up because we're just paranoid or incapable of reading social cues. :roll:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:18 pm

Rumors of a NY summer who got fired?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:18 pm

I’m also checking in to see if the ny associates will spill

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:49 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:18 pm

I’m also checking in to see if the ny associates will spill
Anon bc im a Kirkland summer but the guy apparently harassed his PA and also was the same person who purposely went to female SA to celebrate the Dobbs decision.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:54 pm

[]

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:13 am

Kirkland summers get PAs? For what lol

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:13 am
Same Kirkland summer from above. It's literally just so we get the experience and begin getting used to having a PA. i only ever used mine to file expense reimbursements.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
the PAs are assigned summers so they can train with them before they get assigned 1st years in the fall

sidebar: the gifts given to summers this year were atrocious. almost everything went straight to goodwill

thisismytlsuername

Bronze

Post by thisismytlsuername » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:32 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
the PAs are assigned summers so they can train with them before they get assigned 1st years in the fall

sidebar: the gifts given to summers this year were atrocious. almost everything went straight to goodwill
What gifts?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”