Kirkland Megathread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Kirkland Megathread

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:54 pm

What is Kirkland's 401K contribution policy? I understand they don't match your contribution but wondering what they provide and when it kicks in. ty.

(edit: looked in the 2023 benefits PDF for associates and there is no information in there concerning this).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:54 pm
What is Kirkland's 401K contribution policy? I understand they don't match your contribution but wondering what they provide and when it kicks in. ty.

(edit: looked in the 2023 benefits PDF for associates and there is no information in there concerning this).
The information you got from the PDF is correct.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:37 pm

anyone in the chicago office know when k&e will be moving to the new 333 Wolf Point location? I think they announced the move in August 2021 and said it would be happening in fall of 2023. Will be starting at k&e in september and starting to think about apartments.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:37 pm
anyone in the chicago office know when k&e will be moving to the new 333 Wolf Point location? I think they announced the move in August 2021 and said it would be happening in fall of 2023. Will be starting at k&e in september and starting to think about apartments.
You might just be mentioning your timing for flavor, but if not: I can't imagine a world where your apartment selection would be affected by whether K&E is at the new location yet, unless you're dead-set on living right on the bus line that will take you to the office front door. Merchandise Mart is the closest L stop either way, and if you live along the Green or Blue lines, you'd maybe have one further stop to ride pre-move. (Sorry to not have an actual answer.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:22 pm

The career office at my school only has GPA data on Kirkland DC and Kirkland NYC. Anyone know if Kirkland Chicago is more, less or on par to Kirkland DC in terms of competitiveness/grade sensitivity?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:22 pm
The career office at my school only has GPA data on Kirkland DC and Kirkland NYC. Anyone know if Kirkland Chicago is more, less or on par to Kirkland DC in terms of competitiveness/grade sensitivity?
My instinct is it's on par/lower. DC has dropped in desirability while Chicago has stayed constant. For us (HYS), Chicago was slightly harder to get than NYC (though few tried), but lower than DC. Granted, this was pre-Clemexit, so it was seen as a much more desirable office than it's seen as today (not that it's undesirable now, but Clement's name carried significant weight in recruitment).

Whoknows141317

New

Post by Whoknows141317 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:52 pm

How is Kirkland about allowing split summers between offices? The website just says "case by case basis".

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
At my T14 I think DC was more solidly competitive than Chicago/NYC. Granted, we don't send a ton of kids to Chicago and a lot to DC, so YMMV. And again this is just my memory. Clement leaving may have some effect but unless you're running in the upper tier of students at HYS, my impression is most students knew they weren't going to touch the more high-profile cases he was bringing in anyway.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whoknows141317

New

Post by Whoknows141317 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:34 am
Anonymous User wrote:
At my T14 DC was solidly higher than Chicago/NYC. Granted, we don't send a ton of kids to Chicago and a lot to DC, so YMMV. Clement leaving may have some effect but unless you're running in the upper tier of students at HYS, my impression is most students knew they weren't going to touch the more high-profile cases he was bringing in anyway.
I've heard talk that the Chicago office is on par/as competitive as getting a DC slot, is that just a rumor?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sackboy

Silver

Post by Sackboy » Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:34 pm

Whoknows141317 wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:43 am
I've heard talk that the Chicago office is on par/as competitive as getting a DC slot, is that just a rumor?
At Northwestern, KE Chicago's recruiting standards are on par with CSM, DPW, and S&C's NY offices and various good DC offices.

northernlion9

New

Post by northernlion9 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:52 am

Sackboy wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:34 pm
Whoknows141317 wrote:
At Northwestern, KE Chicago's recruiting standards are on par with CSM, DPW, and S&C's NY offices and various good DC offices.
Eh, this requires more nuance. It's true for litigation, not true for corporate.

Looking at GPA bands and who goes to KE Chi for Lit, they seem to prefer a 1L GPA 3.8+, and basically require 3.7+ (unless you're URM).

But for corporate, KE Chi routinely takes median or even below-median students with significant factors (JD-MBA, URM, strong personal connections, etc.). Whereas CSM/DPW/S&C based on OCI data seem to require at least a 3.6 and more likely 3.7+ even for corporate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:35 am

Anyone at KE knows if they currently have a hiring freeze for lateral associates? Understand there may not be anything formal so just looking for the general vibe.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:35 am
Anyone at KE knows if they currently have a hiring freeze for lateral associates? Understand there may not be anything formal so just looking for the general vibe.
Also curious

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:02 am

Why is Kirkland so hated? Is it getting rejected from them during OCI, sloppiness of their work, horror stories of internal meanness, all of the above? Is Kirkland really just that much worse than every other BigLaw firm?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:02 am
Why is Kirkland so hated? Is it getting rejected from them during OCI, sloppiness of their work, horror stories of internal meanness, all of the above? Is Kirkland really just that much worse than every other BigLaw firm?
It’s run like a profit-maximizing machine where the share partners skew younger and hungrier. The result is a more demanding and exhausting atmosphere than just about anywhere else (obviously there are some groups and individuals that are less exposed to this). From the outside, this creates an image that the average Kirkland lawyer is unnecessarily aggressive and arrogant (perhaps in an effort to satisfy the unsatisfiable higher ups and anxiety that comes with pretending you are also someone who never takes their foot off the gas). It’s a giant firm so horror stories get out and those who don’t work there enjoy retelling and distorting those stories to tell themselves that their firm isn’t so bad (it still is bad), I mean, look at how awful K&E is?!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:26 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:02 am
From the outside, this creates an image that the average Kirkland lawyer is unnecessarily aggressive and arrogant (perhaps in an effort to satisfy the unsatisfiable higher ups and anxiety that comes with pretending you are also someone who never takes their foot off the gas).
K&E was the only firm I interviewed with that spent the entire time talking about how fucking amazing they are. No substantive questions, no shooting the shit, just aggressively trying to sell me on the firm after like a 5 minute introduction. "Nobody else is even close, we dominate the entire industry" are actual words that came out of a partners mouth during an interview. They ARE unnecessarily aggressive and arrogant - both in interviews and in the workplace.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:09 pm

northernlion9 wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:52 am
Sackboy wrote:
Whoknows141317 wrote:
Eh, this requires more nuance. It's true for litigation, not true for corporate.

Looking at GPA bands and who goes to KE Chi for Lit, they seem to prefer a 1L GPA 3.8+, and basically require 3.7+ (unless you're URM).

But for corporate, KE Chi routinely takes median or even below-median students with significant factors (JD-MBA, URM, strong personal connections, etc.). Whereas CSM/DPW/S&C based on OCI data seem to require at least a 3.6 and more likely 3.7+ even for corporate.
KE Chicago is far more competitive than KE NY for lit. The Lit summers from Northwestern all had a minimum of 3.8. I think RX for KE Chicago is around 3.6-3.8. Not as sure about corporate.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:09 pm
northernlion9 wrote:
Sackboy wrote:
Whoknows141317 wrote:

KE Chicago is far more competitive than KE NY for lit. The Lit summers from Northwestern all had a minimum of 3.8. I think RX for KE Chicago is around 3.6-3.8. Not as sure about corporate.
Not sure about how competitive KE lit is in chicago v nyc. But I can say with 100% certainty that it is NOT required that one coming from a t13 needs to have a 3.8+ to get a summer offer from Kirkland. I know of multiple summers (non-diverse) who had LOWER gpas.

northernlion9

New

Post by northernlion9 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:13 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
northernlion9 wrote:
Sackboy wrote:
Whoknows141317 wrote:

Not sure about how competitive KE lit is in chicago v nyc. But I can say with 100% certainty that it is NOT required that one coming from a t13 needs to have a 3.8+ to get a summer offer from Kirkland. I know of multiple summers (non-diverse) who had LOWER gpas.
Well, duh.

Corporate is less GPA competitive, and as my earlier post said people at or below median at NU get KE Chi offers all the time for corporate or restructuring.

Kirkland NY Lit is less GPA competitive than Kirkland Chi Lit. KE NY is behind Paul Weiss, Cravath, DPW, S&C, Skadden - and in depending on goals & circumstances, others - in terms of pull & GPA selectivity. In Chicago, it's Kirkland and Sidley then everyone else (Latham and Jenner are in the same neighborhood, too).

If you wanna waste half an hour, pull up the big Chicago firms and filter by lit associates who are UofC and NU grads. Most of Kirkland's lit associates from NU are magna or coif, meaning top 3-5% or 10% - meaning at least 3.7, more likely 3.8+ by end of 1L.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:55 pm

northernlion9 wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:51 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
northernlion9 wrote:
Sackboy wrote:
Whoknows141317 wrote:

Well, duh.

Corporate is less GPA competitive, and as my earlier post said people at or below median at NU get KE Chi offers all the time for corporate or restructuring.

Kirkland NY Lit is less GPA competitive than Kirkland Chi Lit. KE NY is behind Paul Weiss, Cravath, DPW, S&C, Skadden - and in depending on goals & circumstances, others - in terms of pull & GPA selectivity. In Chicago, it's Kirkland and Sidley then everyone else (Latham and Jenner are in the same neighborhood, too).

If you wanna waste half an hour, pull up the big Chicago firms and filter by lit associates who are UofC and NU grads. Most of Kirkland's lit associates from NU are magna or coif, meaning top 3-5% or 10% - meaning at least 3.7, more likely 3.8+ by end of 1L.
NU restructuring seems to have a higher GPA threshold than corporate, based on what I know of the summers that have gone to KE Chicago in the last few years.

For corporate, I still think Chicago transactional takes higher GPAs than NY transactional. Even if by a slim margin. I don't think KE corporate is any less competitive than corporate at other V10 firms in Chicago. Plenty of median NU students get Skadden Chicago, and some of the most subpar get Sidley Chicago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:58 pm

What has the WFH policy in Chicago been like and how has it been enforced (if at all)? For anyone that answers, would be helpful to know what practice group you're in (and if in corporate, the specific practice area would be helpful!)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

northernlion9

New

Post by northernlion9 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:55 pm
northernlion9 wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:51 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
northernlion9 wrote:
Sackboy wrote:
Whoknows141317 wrote:

Well, duh.

NU restructuring seems to have a higher GPA threshold than corporate, based on what I know of the summers that have gone to KE Chicago in the last few years.

For corporate, I still think Chicago transactional takes higher GPAs than NY transactional. Even if by a slim margin. I don't think KE corporate is any less competitive than corporate at other V10 firms in Chicago. Plenty of median NU students get Skadden Chicago, and some of the most subpar get Sidley Chicago.
Don't know enough about Rx to reject your claim. It does seem like the people who want lit but don't have the grades end up in Rx.

Not sure how a "slim" difference in GPA medians between Chi/NY matters. It's all the same.

I do agree that Chi corp. recruiting seems mostly personality and ties based for T13 students. But you're either a 1L or some kind of prestige-obsessed 2L/3L/weird corporate associate because who uses Vault rankings in Chicago???? For corp (and lit too), Skadden is pretty irrelevant in Chicago. It's basically a service office to NY and LA. Kirkland is Tier 0, Sidley/Latham Tier 1, and the rest doesn't really matter - for corp.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:35 am
Bumping this question - curious market for more senior associates

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:07 pm

northernlion9 wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:21 am

Don't know enough about Rx to reject your claim. It does seem like the people who want lit but don't have the grades end up in Rx.
LOL @ the claim that RX people are just folks that couldn't get lit. If that were true, I'd feel bad for the poor souls that end up in RX. There's not enough 'lit' in the practice to justify that. Ridiculous.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:07 pm
northernlion9 wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:21 am

LOL @ the claim that RX people are just folks that couldn't get lit. If that were true, I'd feel bad for the poor souls that end up in RX. There's not enough 'lit' in the practice to justify that. Ridiculous.
Yeah that's a weird take. In my experience people who end up in RX are looking either like working with distressed companies or want some hybrid of lit and corp. We're definitely not like the litigators (and I thank god for that everyday lmfao)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”