Kirkland/Bloomberg Recruiting Article Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
njdevils2626

Silver

Re: Kirkland/Bloomberg Recruiting Article

Post by njdevils2626 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:10 pm
Nothing but the Funk wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:52 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:00 pm
Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:31 pm
Hey former Kirkland Houston lawyer here. I'm the first to admit that I wasn't cut out for biglaw, I much prefer being a lazy government employee, but the culture there is absolutely as toxic as the worst on this form says it is. I worked my ass off billing close to 250 hours per month starting in my second or third month there, there is next to know actual raining (largely because everyone is so swamped), and the straw that broke my back being told I couldn't take time off to go home to see my Mother who had a stroke because the closing I was the most junior person on was just too important.

There are plenty of good people in that office, in fact most of the real assholes I encountered were from the NY office, but it is also such a phony, frat bro environment. If you are looking as an upcoming SA, be your own judge but be sure to ask people their real opinions and don't trust anything recruiting tells you (probably good advice regardless of the firm). If I had to do over again I would take the summer gig eat and drink myself silly and run for the hills, but that's just me.
Can’t imagine why you didn’t make it.

Pls fix, thanks.

Your anecdote about the stroke is just straight up false dude, there’s not a partner or associate in the Houston office that would tell you that. If you’re going to lie, at least make it believable.
Remember that this is the exact kind of people you are going to work with their kids. Grammar nazis and folks who can't accept something that doesn't line of with they're view of the world.
FIFY. Your welcome.
Who wants to break it to him?

Nothing but the Funk

Bronze

Post by Nothing but the Funk » Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:52 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:00 pm
Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:31 pm
Hey former Kirkland Houston lawyer here. I'm the first to admit that I wasn't cut out for biglaw, I much prefer being a lazy government employee, but the culture there is absolutely as toxic as the worst on this form says it is. I worked my ass off billing close to 250 hours per month starting in my second or third month there, there is next to know actual raining (largely because everyone is so swamped), and the straw that broke my back being told I couldn't take time off to go home to see my Mother who had a stroke because the closing I was the most junior person on was just too important.

There are plenty of good people in that office, in fact most of the real assholes I encountered were from the NY office, but it is also such a phony, frat bro environment. If you are looking as an upcoming SA, be your own judge but be sure to ask people their real opinions and don't trust anything recruiting tells you (probably good advice regardless of the firm). If I had to do over again I would take the summer gig eat and drink myself silly and run for the hills, but that's just me.
Can’t imagine why you didn’t make it.

Pls fix, thanks.

Your anecdote about the stroke is just straight up false dude, there’s not a partner or associate in the Houston office that would tell you that. If you’re going to lie, at least make it believable.
Remember that this is the exact kind of people you are going to work with their kids. Grammar nazis and folks who can't accept something that doesn't line of with they're view of the world.
FIFY. Your welcome.
Thanks, you really saved my bacon there, bro

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:17 pm

njdevils2626 wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:32 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

FIFY. Your welcome.
Its clearly a joke their making

thisismytlsuername

Bronze

Post by thisismytlsuername » Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:00 am

thisismytlsuername wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:09 pm
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:26 pm
keassociate2017 wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:31 pm
Hi! I actually know Andy Calder and have known him well since I was a 2L in law school (now a fifth year here at K&E Houston). Andy is actually a hilarious and great leader, and he cares about his associates. Personally, he made sure I got a month off when my dad had a stroke when I was a first year. The whole firm rallied around me too at that time. I also have never billed 2600 -- the most I have ever billed was like 2450 or something in 2020.

I've never looked at this site before, and I think it's super reminiscent of College ACB circa 2011 (which was just as toxic and fake as this seems to be). I guess my point is -- I don't appreciate you anonymously talking about my firm via your little anon accounts. I mean -- who are all of you? My name is Michelle Williamson, and I think anon posting in your little lair hunched over your little laptop / cell is super weird. Do you feel better bad mouthing my law firm and the head of my office? Maybe you should try taking your aggression out via workout or cooking dinner or something. And if you have an issue with Andy, and you don't even work here, I'm not sure why your opinion even matters or why you feel the need to opine.

To any of the K&E incoming associates or summer associates -- feel free to reach out if you have any questions from a legitimate associate at Kirkland that isn't trying to hide behind an American Psycho profile pic or other fake account. And I am happy to put you in touch with folks in another office or practice group too (I do debt finance). I think something that will help you all as you launch your careers is finding people at K&E to mentor and just be your friend -- I have met some of the best friends and mentors here during the last 4 years.

Cheers,
Michelle
Hi Michelle Williamson!

I wanted to assuage your fears about fake accounts, since I just came on here for Cravath lobster shitposting and saw you so graciously referenced me in your post. The anons can't distinguish themselves here, but obviously I can! I'm a senior associate, on my second Biglaw firm, work across from Kirkland regularly. The kind of person you might send your aggressive markups to at 6:30 on a Friday. Contrary to what you might be assuming, not everyone who posts here is misrepresenting themselves--they may even be your peers! I have not ever worked at Kirkland (nor do I have any desire to), but I have many friends who have and continue to (including in Houston) and use their evaluations, and the ones I read online from its purported associates, to form my opinion. Now, both of the firms *I've* worked for were run by megalomaniac borderline criminals who would post your job opening before your obituary, abused their associates and attempted to squeeze every last billable drop out of them while crowing about "family" in the press and earned themselves a special place in hell, but, you know, I have no firsthand knowledge of whether that's true at Kirkland! However, I have heard more than a few things that are concerning. So since you said to reach out to real, confirmed K&E associates, a few questions:

1. How far above 2500 were you in 2020 and what was your bonus? And can you comment on the characterizations by many K&E associates in a similar range as "meager" and "not above market anymore" at the time?

2. Can you confirm whether Andy Calder really sent that email threatening to fire all the associates who didn't take a restructuring assignment? Because it seems he hasn't confirmed it.

3. Do other associates in your firm, by and large, also have "sharp elbows?" Is that something you like in a firm? Is that something you'd use to sell the firm at OCI?

4. Do you ever flex your Peloton biceps and tell the OCI kids about your killer workout schedule when you talk to potential candidates concerned about the firm's reputation for overwork?

5. Would you describe Kirkland as a "work hard, play hard" firm? Like, with a straight face?

6. I once used College ACB to convey that my main impression of the Kappas at my school was "hot but boring," based on my interactions with them at a couple parties. Was that wrong? Should I not have done that?

7. Can you dispel those nasty rumors that Andy Calder wanted to kidnap the 101 Dalmations to skin them for their fur, and once killed his brother so he could finally rule Pride Rock?

Thanks so much for your help!

P.S. Be careful sharing your real info online--you never know what kind of freaks and weirdos might be lurking around!
Michelle, where are we on this?
Checking on this, thx.

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:05 am

Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:00 am
keassociate2017 wrote:
Hi! I actually know Andy Calder and have known him well since I was a 2L in law school (now a fifth year here at K&E Houston). Andy is actually a hilarious and great leader, and he cares about his associates. Personally, he made sure I got a month off when my dad had a stroke when I was a first year. The whole firm rallied around me too at that time. I also have never billed 2600 -- the most I have ever billed was like 2450 or something in 2020.

I've never looked at this site before, and I think it's super reminiscent of College ACB circa 2011 (which was just as toxic and fake as this seems to be). I guess my point is -- I don't appreciate you anonymously talking about my firm via your little anon accounts. I mean -- who are all of you? My name is Michelle Williamson, and I think anon posting in your little lair hunched over your little laptop / cell is super weird. Do you feel better bad mouthing my law firm and the head of my office? Maybe you should try taking your aggression out via workout or cooking dinner or something. And if you have an issue with Andy, and you don't even work here, I'm not sure why your opinion even matters or why you feel the need to opine.

To any of the K&E incoming associates or summer associates -- feel free to reach out if you have any questions from a legitimate associate at Kirkland that isn't trying to hide behind an American Psycho profile pic or other fake account. And I am happy to put you in touch with folks in another office or practice group too (I do debt finance). I think something that will help you all as you launch your careers is finding people at K&E to mentor and just be your friend -- I have met some of the best friends and mentors here during the last 4 years.

Cheers,
Michelle
Hi Michelle Williamson!

I wanted to assuage your fears about fake accounts, since I just came on here for Cravath lobster shitposting and saw you so graciously referenced me in your post. The anons can't distinguish themselves here, but obviously I can! I'm a senior associate, on my second Biglaw firm, work across from Kirkland regularly. The kind of person you might send your aggressive markups to at 6:30 on a Friday. Contrary to what you might be assuming, not everyone who posts here is misrepresenting themselves--they may even be your peers! I have not ever worked at Kirkland (nor do I have any desire to), but I have many friends who have and continue to (including in Houston) and use their evaluations, and the ones I read online from its purported associates, to form my opinion. Now, both of the firms *I've* worked for were run by megalomaniac borderline criminals who would post your job opening before your obituary, abused their associates and attempted to squeeze every last billable drop out of them while crowing about "family" in the press and earned themselves a special place in hell, but, you know, I have no firsthand knowledge of whether that's true at Kirkland! However, I have heard more than a few things that are concerning. So since you said to reach out to real, confirmed K&E associates, a few questions:

1. How far above 2500 were you in 2020 and what was your bonus? And can you comment on the characterizations by many K&E associates in a similar range as "meager" and "not above market anymore" at the time?

2. Can you confirm whether Andy Calder really sent that email threatening to fire all the associates who didn't take a restructuring assignment? Because it seems he hasn't confirmed it.

3. Do other associates in your firm, by and large, also have "sharp elbows?" Is that something you like in a firm? Is that something you'd use to sell the firm at OCI?

4. Do you ever flex your Peloton biceps and tell the OCI kids about your killer workout schedule when you talk to potential candidates concerned about the firm's reputation for overwork?

5. Would you describe Kirkland as a "work hard, play hard" firm? Like, with a straight face?

6. I once used College ACB to convey that my main impression of the Kappas at my school was "hot but boring," based on my interactions with them at a couple parties. Was that wrong? Should I not have done that?

7. Can you dispel those nasty rumors that Andy Calder wanted to kidnap the 101 Dalmations to skin them for their fur, and once killed his brother so he could finally rule Pride Rock?

P.S. Be careful sharing your real info online--you never know what kind of freaks and weirdos might be lurking around!
Checking on this, thx.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cornerstone

Bronze

Post by cornerstone » Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:28 am

Moneytrees wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:05 am
Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:00 am
keassociate2017 wrote:

Cheers,
Michelle
Hi Michelle Williamson!

Checking on this, thx.
If you don’t have enough to do, I suggest you address these questions ASAP and roll up your sleeves. If it was me in 2008 I would be pre-emptively calling Doug or Adam after you read through the end of this post. This isn’t a gravy train where you can just post and ghost along for the ride.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:17 pm
njdevils2626 wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:32 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

FIFY. Your welcome.
Its clearly a joke their making
Thank you for using correct grammar and getting my pronouns correct.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:05 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:52 pm
this kills me. incoming K&E SA here and it was so obvious they told associates in the interviews to stress that they are "not a sweat shop" in interviews because it came up repeatedly in every firm interaction I had
Same. One of the lateral SPs that interviewed me said they were wary of the sharp elbows culture when moving to K&E and observed that for about a year but it's changed over the last 4-5 years apparently. Could, of course, be a sales pitch but they brought it up when I asked them the difference between their experience at the two firms.
FWIW, I started at KE 3 years ago and was also wary of the sharp elbows culture (I HATED that type of person in law school and being at a firm full of them was literally my worst nightmare), but my experience was quite the opposite — the vast majority of attorneys are nice / helpful / have my back. The only time I’ve ever experienced even a sliver of competition with fellow associates was with a new lateral that was senior to me (just don’t think they understood how KE worked yet). I was actually really surprised when I saw the Bloomberg article Ballis did (just because I wouldnt have thought they were willing to so openly put that out there / acknowledge the rumors etc.) but I liked the insight it provided and also just appreciated how blunt and direct it was. KE isn’t all sunshine and rainbows by any means but I do think it’s rare to have leadership as transparent as KE does. Obviously like all big law there’s always some smoke and mirrors etc. but I’ve always generally appreciated how management addressed issues directly rather than glossing over them and focusing on the positives / only acknowledging the positives.

BrowsingTLS

Bronze

Post by BrowsingTLS » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:39 pm
FWIW, I started at KE 3 years ago and was also wary of the sharp elbows culture (I HATED that type of person in law school and being at a firm full of them was literally my worst nightmare), but my experience was quite the opposite — the vast majority of attorneys are nice / helpful / have my back. The only time I’ve ever experienced even a sliver of competition with fellow associates was with a new lateral that was senior to me (just don’t think they understood how KE worked yet). I was actually really surprised when I saw the Bloomberg article Ballis did (just because I wouldnt have thought they were willing to so openly put that out there / acknowledge the rumors etc.) but I liked the insight it provided and also just appreciated how blunt and direct it was. KE isn’t all sunshine and rainbows by any means but I do think it’s rare to have leadership as transparent as KE does. Obviously like all big law there’s always some smoke and mirrors etc. but I’ve always generally appreciated how management addressed issues directly rather than glossing over them and focusing on the positives / only acknowledging the positives.
Thanks Jon Ballis. Very informative post. Looking forward to submitting a lateral application and not making the same mistake as the lateral who misapprehended Kirkland's culture.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:10 am

I’m in one of these groups that ballis describes, ama

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:39 pm

I do think it’s rare to have leadership as transparent as KE does.
Are they going to be transparent re: who gave them the orders to fire Paul Clement?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”