In-person callbacks = higher chance? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

In-person callbacks = higher chance?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:47 pm

1L with an upcoming in-person callback in the South. Very far away from my school. Have had two callbacks before this (1 w/ offer, 1 pending), both virtual. Are in-person callbacks more likely to lead to an offer(since they cost the firm significantly more in airfare/lodging/food/etc)? Or is this completely uncharted waters? IK this is very much like trying to read tea leaves, but I want to think about something other than the commerce clause.

jhett

Bronze

Re: In-person callbacks = higher chance?

Post by jhett » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:51 pm

Nope, no meaningful difference. Firms spend a lot of money on recruiting. Deciding to bring one candidate in for in-person interviews is a drop in the bucket of their overall recruiting costs and does not imply anything about your candidancy. The recruiting partner is not going to think "Well, I'm not sure about this particular person, but we did spend money flying them in so I guess we should give them an offer otherwise the money goes to waste."

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:02 pm

Less a positive, more a necessity for regional firms who want to know you're committed.

Tribble_47

New

Post by Tribble_47 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:05 pm

Your likelihood of a post-callback offer depends on the number of candidates interviewed for each available spot. In biglaw, 2:1 is common, but there's a lot of variation. Firm A doing virtual callbacks while Firm B does in-person callbacks doesn't mean you're more likely to get a post-callback offer from Firm B, because it has nothing to do with either firm's ratio. It's conceivable that some firms might have decided that the savings on travel costs from going virtual meant that they could go from 2:1 to 4:1 or something like that, but I don't know of anyone who actually has. The additional wasted partner and attorney time to interview all those extra people isn't worth it.

If a firm is offering only in-person callbacks to some candidates and only virtual callbacks to others, then that could indicate a difference in how they perceive those candidates. But I've never heard of anyone doing that, and I don't think that was your question here.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:13 pm

Keep in mind that pre-Covid, in-person callbacks were absolutely the norm and firms didn’t hesitate to fly candidates around the country. So this probably says more about the firm not liking the virtual format (or maybe its take on COVID) than anything to do with how they feel about you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”