Mayer Brown opening in SLC, Utah. Next big law frontier? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Mayer Brown opening in SLC, Utah. Next big law frontier?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:15 am
Sounds like big moves are happening in SLC. How are folks feeling?
Assuming this isn't a post about news from several months ago, mind explaining for us unawares?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:04 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:15 am
Sounds like big moves are happening in SLC. How are folks feeling?
Assuming this isn't a post about news from several months ago, mind explaining for us unawares?
Maybe referring to Justice Lee's new firm(s)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:24 pm

I feel like people on this thread are assuming Biglaw associates only work on deals local to their city. This hasn't been true in a long time. SLC associates will service NY/London/Houston clients just as our LA/Chicago/Miami/Dallas/other secondary offices already do. They'll just sit in SLC and do it.

I'm a NYC associate and pretty tied down to NYC as it's home for me. However, SLC and Denver have the biggest appeal to me over any other market - largely because of the hiking, skiing and biking - the things I can't get in NYC. I would definitely split my time between SLC and NYC if offered.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:24 pm
I feel like people on this thread are assuming Biglaw associates only work on deals local to their city. This hasn't been true in a long time. SLC associates will service NY/London/Houston clients just as our LA/Chicago/Miami/Dallas/other secondary offices already do. They'll just sit in SLC and do it.
The best thing I ever did was move to a boutique that, in 95% of instances, only does deals in my region of the country, which is all (or primarily all) in one time zone. Absolutely fuck working on CA, Chicago, NY, and occasional international deals at the same time. Working in one time zone was the biggest quality of life improvement I could have asked for beyond fewer hours.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:57 pm

I think OP is probably referring to Lee's new firm or the big group of corporate lawyers that just left Dorsey Whitney to go to Mayer Brown. Not sure if any associates or others will follow, but I did see that on LinkedIn which is great for Mayer Brown since it seems that they had a pretty small roster for these first six months.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:57 pm
I think OP is probably referring to Lee's new firm or the big group of corporate lawyers that just left Dorsey Whitney to go to Mayer Brown. Not sure if any associates or others will follow, but I did see that on LinkedIn which is great for Mayer Brown since it seems that they had a pretty small roster for these first six months.
Haha so the "cravath of salt lake" as they billed themselves finally imploded?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:43 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:24 pm
The best thing I ever did was move to a boutique that, in 95% of instances, only does deals in my region of the country, which is all (or primarily all) in one time zone. Absolutely fuck working on CA, Chicago, NY, and occasional international deals at the same time. Working in one time zone was the biggest quality of life improvement I could have asked for beyond fewer hours.
I’m in ET and in lit, but I worked on California case that involved brief editing right up until filing. The rest of the team was signing off on drafts at 11:30 PM PT… I was on at 2:30 AM doing the same, repeatedly. So yeah it sucked.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:00 pm

It’s not clear that Lee is going to be full-time at his boutique given his many other commitments from what I can tell, though I have no local market knowledge

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:03 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
lol is that a thing? Never heard of it.

Not sure if it will implode, they were shockingly resilient in terms of retention when K&E came to the market

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:54 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not sure if it will implode, they were shockingly resilient in terms of retention when K&E came to the market
Ha yeah - I think those words literally came out of their mouth.

As someone who was v10 out of state and moved into the SLC market later (before all of the K&E stuff), Dorsey was insufferable and literally the worst firm to find yourself across from.

Easy enough to defend from K&E, I think. Just tell your associates that hours will be worse at K&E (true, although IDK, I hear the K&E SLC office is taking a huge dump), and your long term career prospects are better at Dorsey (also probably true). But hard to defend when you have a bunch of lower v100 firms move in that can offer a similar Dorsey lifestyle (still not great), better pay, and actually be a reputable law firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:59 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:54 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Ha yeah - I think those words literally came out of their mouth.

As someone who was v10 out of state and moved into the SLC market later (before all of the K&E stuff), Dorsey was insufferable and literally the worst firm to find yourself across from.

Easy enough to defend from K&E, I think. Just tell your associates that hours will be worse at K&E (true, although IDK, I hear the K&E SLC office is taking a huge dump), and your long term career prospects are better at Dorsey (also probably true). But hard to defend when you have a bunch of lower v100 firms move in that can offer a similar Dorsey lifestyle (still not great), better pay, and actually be a reputable law firm.

I can't imagine having the confidence it would take to utter those words.

Do you think firms like Foley and Mayer who showed up after K&E and Wilson will last here?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”