How to network to lateral as a 2nd year Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to network to lateral as a 2nd year

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:16 pm

I started last Fall (c/o 2021) at my firm and plan to lateral to a different firm in a different market after hitting the one-year mark.

I'm getting conflicting advice on whether to use a recruiter or not... I don't really know anyone in the market I'm trying to move and not sure how I should approach the process.

Do people generally cold-email people with similar backgrounds at the target firm (law school alumni) and ask for a referral? I'm sure they would have an incentive to make the referral for the bonus.

Also, I think Laterally.com is down? Are there any other reputable websites for biglaw job postings?

Anonymous User

Re: How to network to lateral as a 2nd year

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:49 pm

I also wasn't sure if I should use a recruiter when I lateraled, but I am ultimately glad that I did. Some of them deal with certain firms on a regular basis and develop relationships with HR teams. They also provide market insight that can be difficult to find yourself (e.g., I received an offer with no signing bonus and my recruiter informed me that he knew that this law firm was giving signing bonuses worth at least $25k to other folks and that I should negotiate one). Find a senior person at Major Lindsey or Lateral Link or some other big lateral shop that has placed people in your target area. Good luck.

Sackboy

Silver

Re: How to network to lateral as a 2nd year

Post by Sackboy » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:49 pm
I also wasn't sure if I should use a recruiter when I lateraled, but I am ultimately glad that I did. Some of them deal with certain firms on a regular basis and develop relationships with HR teams. They also provide market insight that can be difficult to find yourself (e.g., I received an offer with no signing bonus and my recruiter informed me that he knew that this law firm was giving signing bonuses worth at least $25k to other folks and that I should negotiate one). Find a senior person at Major Lindsey or Lateral Link or some other big lateral shop that has placed people in your target area. Good luck.
Agreed. Good recruiters have contacts, have a good sense of how salary increases work/what type of comp to expect (if you're looking at a place like Miami, Philadelphia, etc. and not at one of the few market-paying firms), etc.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”