Biglaw: Is it really that bad? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Biglaw: Is it really that bad?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:49 pm

bokampers wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:05 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:40 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:29 am
As for Kirkland, lol on the whole "free market" system. See how much luck you have turning down work from an Executive Committee member because you are already on track for 2k hours and don't feel like doing more work.
I've done this. They replied "ok" and it never came up again. I got a 2 in my review anyway.
As in, they rated you at a 2 out of 5 (or out of 10), in vengeance for turning work down once?? Freaking psychos.
2 is above average rating

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:49 pm
bokampers wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
As for Kirkland, lol on the whole "free market" system. See how much luck you have turning down work from an Executive Committee member because you are already on track for 2k hours and don't feel like doing more work.
I've done this. They replied "ok" and it never came up again. I got a 2 in my review anyway.
As in, they rated you at a 2 out of 5 (or out of 10), in vengeance for turning work down once?? Freaking psychos.
Yeah 2 is a good thing. 3 means average for your class year, which is basically what everyone gets the first few years unless you’re fucking up (in which case you get a 4 or 5). 1 means you’re ready to be partner (although I hear if you make NSP, the system resets en route to shares). A 2 is a stepping stone from being a 3 to being 2.

So that poster is saying they got a 2 (yay!) despite turning down the thing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:22 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
bokampers wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yeah 2 is a good thing. 3 means average for your class year, which is basically what everyone gets the first few years unless you’re fucking up (in which case you get a 4 or 5). 1 means you’re ready to be partner (although I hear if you make NSP, the system resets en route to shares). A 2 is a stepping stone from being a 3 to being 2.

Does the review work similarly to other corporate jobs where there are target areas? Is the score an average of numbers assigned by multiple partners? Every partner you've done work for?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:26 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:22 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
bokampers wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Does the review work similarly to other corporate jobs where there are target areas? Is the score an average of numbers assigned by multiple partners? Every partner you've done work for?
Every year, you go through a firm software thing and make a list of all of the matters you want reviewed (rule of thumb for litigators is 100 hours or more get reviewed). You write a short blurb about the work you did on each. You select the partners who were responsible for overseeing your work on those matters. The partners then get your blurb and give you a review which involves giving you a score on like a couple dozen different categories that the firm provides them, along with written feedback both positive and constructive. Then there is some black box synthesis of those scores, but the ultimate arbiter of your score 1 through 5 is the associate review committee. I assume, without knowing, that this committee's work is mostly done through this black box process but perhaps there are some close calls on more senior associates that they actually work through and discuss.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”