Litigation Finance Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Litigation Finance

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:53 pm

A former co-worker has reached out to me about joining his lit finance firm. I never really considered it, but maybe I should. Has anyone exited BigLaw commercial lit to join a lit finance firm? What's it like?

Anonymous User

Re: Litigation Finance

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:47 am

Yes. It's a pretty incredible life compared to biglaw litigation. Comp is good (though obviously not as good as biglaw) and the work/life balance improvement is immeasurable. I'd be careful to go to a reputable funder though -- the smaller shops can go under pretty quickly given the binary nature of lit funding investments.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:47 am
Yes. It's a pretty incredible life compared to biglaw litigation. Comp is good (though obviously not as good as biglaw) and the work/life balance improvement is immeasurable. I'd be careful to go to a reputable funder though -- the smaller shops can go under pretty quickly given the binary nature of lit funding investments.

Can you give more details about different firms?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:23 am
Anonymous User wrote:

If you have any specific questions I'm happy to answer them but I'm not gonna write an open ended dissertation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:44 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

If you have any specific questions I'm happy to answer them but I'm not gonna write an open ended dissertation.
Any info on parabellum cap

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:50 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:44 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Any info on parabellum cap
Definitely one of the bigger/more reputable shops. Don't know too much about the specific inner workings.

cfcm

Silver

Post by cfcm » Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
On a basic level, what does this sort of work involve? Is it a legal role or something more on the business side, in the sense of evaluating the potential merits of cases?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:29 pm

What kind of background do you need (strictly lit only? How many years biglaw?)

And what kind of role do you get (salaries, hours, etc)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:25 pm

There are different roles within and among litigation finance shops. There are the people who do more of the pure legal analysis work and there are people who do more pure sales work, and there are people who do a mix of both. Generally, though, the role involves 1. marketing your services to law firms and potential clients, 2. assessing potential investments, and 3. following investments after they're made. Different shops run differently -- some have people who do all three roles, some have different people for each role, some are a mix.

Backgrounds are for the most part strictly litigation, and there's no real reason to hire anyone less experienced than 5th year or so.

Like anything else, comp and hours vary with seniority and role. I have a hybrid sales/legal role and I'm fairly senior and I only took a slight paycut from my biglaw comp. I am, however, pretty bored. It's much lower key than law firm work.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:54 pm

Are there specific practice experience(s) lit finance firms value most highly? Is hiring just based on interviews and the usual lit observables (caliber of firm, clerkships, etc.), or are there other important factors?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:29 pm

Any info about Legalist?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:29 pm
Any info about Legalist?
Doesn't have enough assets or experience to keep up with the bigger players. Good at marketing though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:07 pm

how appealing are patent litigators for these roles?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:07 pm
how appealing are patent litigators for these roles?
Only a few shops actually do IP work, so those that do get all of it, and there's lots. Look at the bigger ones.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:34 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Any info about Legalist?
Doesn't have enough assets or experience to keep up with the bigger players. Good at marketing though.
Who would you say are the big players in the space?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:37 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:34 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Any info about Legalist?
Who would you say are the big players in the space?
https://chambers.com/legal-rankings/lit ... 16:12788:1

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:09 pm

Do any recruiters focus on litigation finance positions? If you contact one of the typical big commercial lit recruiters, will they know or have contacts in lit finance at all?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:25 pm
There are different roles within and among litigation finance shops. There are the people who do more of the pure legal analysis work and there are people who do more pure sales work, and there are people who do a mix of both. Generally, though, the role involves 1. marketing your services to law firms and potential clients, 2. assessing potential investments, and 3. following investments after they're made. Different shops run differently -- some have people who do all three roles, some have different people for each role, some are a mix.

Backgrounds are for the most part strictly litigation, and there's no real reason to hire anyone less experienced than 5th year or so.

Like anything else, comp and hours vary with seniority and role. I have a hybrid sales/legal role and I'm fairly senior and I only took a slight paycut from my biglaw comp. I am, however, pretty bored. It's much lower key than law firm work.
Sorry to bump after so much time. What does the day-to-day for tasks 2 and 3 look like? Are you evaluating proposals from potential plaintiffs? What does the work product look like? Do you have a say in the litigation?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:09 pm
Do any recruiters focus on litigation finance positions? If you contact one of the typical big commercial lit recruiters, will they know or have contacts in lit finance at all?
DE Shaw litigation finance is almost all ex-WLRK. Burford good number as well.

I've been pinged about positions via typical in-house recruiter cold email. Don't think they were "specialized" litigation finance folks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:21 am

I assume the answer is probably no, but do any of these lit funders do work with L&E?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:01 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Generally, though, the role involves 1. marketing your services to law firms and potential clients, 2. assessing potential investments, and 3. following investments after they're made.
Sorry to bump after so much time. What does the day-to-day for tasks 2 and 3 look like? Are you evaluating proposals from potential plaintiffs? What does the work product look like? Do you have a say in the litigation?
Re-bump re: day to day.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:04 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Generally, though, the role involves 1. marketing your services to law firms and potential clients, 2. assessing potential investments, and 3. following investments after they're made.
I’m not an expert, but my understanding is generally they do not have a say in the litigation. That can create legal issues.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:19 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I’m not an expert, but my understanding is generally they do not have a say in the litigation. That can create legal issues.
So then what do you do, sit and twiddle your thumbs all day?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:10 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:19 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
So then what do you do, sit and twiddle your thumbs all day?
It's not a hard job. For 2, you read the pleadings/filings so far and talk to the lawyers and the potential client to get a sense for how you think the case will go, then write up the memo on the case if you think it's worth an investment. For 3, you just talk to the lawyers once a week or every two weeks to get updates on the case.

No, you have no say in the litigation.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”