How Many of You Are Planning to Quit After You Get This Bonus? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: How Many of You Are Planning to Quit After You Get This Bonus?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:42 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:43 am
What’s the usual range of notice periods? I assume two weeks is both acceptable and also on the shorter end? How long can folks stretch this out?
Just be normal and give two weeks notice and work like a normal associate until you have about 3 days left, at which point you start saying your goodbyes and cleaning out your office. Don't be the junior or mid-level associate that gives notice and checks out on the senior associate leaving them completely effed for two weeks. Having been the senior in this situation, nothing is more inconsiderate and unprofessional.
I wouldn't do that, but I have seen people take more than two weeks at my firm and they've coasted during the last (additional) week or two, which is attractive to me. The new firm is very flexible with start date, and I'd ideally like some time on my current's firm dime to recharge during a lengthier notice period (without leaving my teams in the lurch).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
What’s the usual range of notice periods? I assume two weeks is both acceptable and also on the shorter end? How long can folks stretch this out?
V10 M&A annon above leaving once bonus's are paid.

Here is my plan based on what I have seen from others that have left over the years:

1. I will give my 2 weeks (no more - 2 weeks is standard and more than enough) on the Friday after bonus $ hits my account (no chance of a reneg / claw back).

2. I will work to transition my matters / bring people up to speed for ~ 10 days. I am NOT working past business hours unless necessary to save someone I like an all nighter. I am leaving as an associate - any failure to hire sufficient cover is not my fault/problem.

3. Be available and very helpful answering questions / forwarding info to whoever will be taking over my matters until ~48 hours before my last day. Past that point, the firm's in ability to plan is not my problem. If there is some institutional knowledge I have that has not been tapped... you hade ~11+ days at this point, I am not that sympathetic.

4. Clean out my office / turn in my materials (last 2-3 days).

5. Drink heavily because I don't need to be sober to work (last week? maybe this should be #4).

6. Turn my computer in an delete my email off my phone knowing that the "firm" will figure it out and go on without me.

7. Engy my 2 week break between jobs.

8. Start new job and hope like hell I didn't make the worst mistake since I enrolled in law school at the end of 2011 for the class of 2015 (if I sound jaded, it is because I am. This profession is low-key total BS and law school/the bar are antiquated gate keeping mechanisms that could be reformed/eliminated materially with no drop off in quality of attorney representation in most material respects.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:54 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:42 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Just be normal and give two weeks notice and work like a normal associate until you have about 3 days left, at which point you start saying your goodbyes and cleaning out your office. Don't be the junior or mid-level associate that gives notice and checks out on the senior associate leaving them completely effed for two weeks. Having been the senior in this situation, nothing is more inconsiderate and unprofessional.
I wouldn't do that, but I have seen people take more than two weeks at my firm and they've coasted during the last (additional) week or two, which is attractive to me. The new firm is very flexible with start date, and I'd ideally like some time on my current's firm dime to recharge during a lengthier notice period (without leaving my teams in the lurch).
2 weeks is normal/plenty. Do enough to not be a dick / screw a jr. associate. If someone asks you to work past reasonable business hours after you give notice, give polite but firm push back in the vein of "LOL no", edited as appropriate.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:36 am
Anonymous User wrote:

Here is my plan based on what I have seen from others that have left over the years:

1. I will give my 2 weeks (no more - 2 weeks is standard and more than enough) on the Friday after bonus $ hits my account (no chance of a reneg / claw back).

2. I will work to transition my matters / bring people up to speed for ~ 10 days. I am NOT working past business hours unless necessary to save someone I like an all nighter. I am leaving as an associate - any failure to hire sufficient cover is not my fault/problem.

3. Be available and very helpful answering questions / forwarding info to whoever will be taking over my matters until ~48 hours before my last day. Past that point, the firm's in ability to plan is not my problem. If there is some institutional knowledge I have that has not been tapped... you hade ~11+ days at this point, I am not that sympathetic.

5. Drink heavily because I don't need to be sober to work (last week? maybe this should be #4).

6. Turn my computer in an delete my email off my phone knowing that the "firm" will figure it out and go on without me.

8. Start new job and hope like hell I didn't make the worst mistake since I enrolled in law school at the end of 2011 for the class of 2015 (if I sound jaded, it is because I am. This profession is low-key total BS and law school/the bar are antiquated gate keeping mechanisms that could be reformed/eliminated materially with no drop off in quality of attorney representation in most material respects.
Seriously, take more than two weeks. You won’t regret it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:00 pm

I was planning to quit, but in-house market is insanely competitive right now so my chances of departing after the direct deposit hits are rapidly dwindling.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This is all perfect, and the best part is that your typos make it seem like you've already started drinking.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:32 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This is all perfect, and the best part is that your typos make it seem like you've already started drinking.
You're not wrong.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:00 pm
I was planning to quit, but in-house market is insanely competitive right now so my chances of departing after the direct deposit hits are rapidly dwindling.
Following on this, anyone else having the same experience? I am a 5th year M&A associate from v10 trying to get something in a secondary market and have been shocked how hard it is to land something. Wonder if I am just doing something way wrong.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:38 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Following on this, anyone else having the same experience? I am a 5th year M&A associate from v10 trying to get something in a secondary market and have been shocked how hard it is to land something. Wonder if I am just doing something way wrong.
I'm basically same stats. I was in a similar situation (granted a couple months ago), so I started searching for positions that were specifically listed as "fully remote" and that generated a lot of options. Now I'm living in my secondary but the office is technically in SF. Obviously you have to be willing to be fully remote though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:08 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:38 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm basically same stats. I was in a similar situation (granted a couple months ago), so I started searching for positions that were specifically listed as "fully remote" and that generated a lot of options. Now I'm living in my secondary but the office is technically in SF. Obviously you have to be willing to be fully remote though.
I'm getting less traction on the fully remote positions than fully/hybrid on-site positions in both major and secondary markets.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
corp or lit? If corp, I would be surprised to hear you have difficulty landing anything just given deal volume.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:51 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
corp or lit? If corp, I would be surprised to hear you have difficulty landing anything just given deal volume.
lit. if I was corp I would have gone in-house two bonuses ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:39 pm

I’m still on the junior side for in house as a litigator (c/o 2017) but I have good credentials and have applied to openings asking for experience within my range. Haven’t gotten even one initial interview - submitted maybe 20 applications (all I could find open to c/o 17s). Lit in house is brutal. Focusing on moving to a boutique now instead

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:39 pm
I’m still on the junior side for in house as a litigator (c/o 2017) but I have good credentials and have applied to openings asking for experience within my range. Haven’t gotten even one initial interview - submitted maybe 20 applications (all I could find open to c/o 17s). Lit in house is brutal. Focusing on moving to a boutique now instead
Several senior comm lit associates posted above about applying to 45, 100, and even 300 in house positions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Good luck, but don’t count the “lit boutique” route as a panacea unless you really like what you do

I don’t know what the “answer” is for burned out litigators, but from personal experience, the boutique move (assuming we are talking about the main-line national lit boutiques usually discussed on TLS) doesn’t lead to a better quality of life

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:32 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Good luck, but don’t count the “lit boutique” route as a panacea unless you really like what you do

I don’t know what the “answer” is for burned out litigators, but from personal experience, the boutique move (assuming we are talking about the main-line national lit boutiques usually discussed on TLS) doesn’t lead to a better quality of life
The answer is we need a good recession to slow the work down. That's what I'm praying for, anyway. We can't staff cases, can't keep paralegals, and have so many trials that people are rejecting them. I need clients to stop being willing to pay for us, or we need to raise rates. But it's totally ridiculous and even people making $15 million are miserable since they don't have time to spend it.

Anon because past posts probably reveal my firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:32 am
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks. I'm being very picky about my next move, although I am learning that most firms that are still "sophisticated" come with a pay cut that's bigger than an expected hours cut. But it's just a question of how much I value the very top few hundred hours a year at.

I think I am learning that being a firm litigator will never allow me the lifestyle that I want, so I'm going to have to go in house or government eventually (outside chance at making a move to lit-adjacent regulatory). Being at a law firm is never going to be a "put your phone/laptop down at 5:30 on Friday and pick it up at 8:30 on Monday at least 48 weekends a year" kind of a job.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:49 pm

Deleted. Weird world.

thisismytlsuername

Bronze

Post by thisismytlsuername » Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:23 pm

I thought biglaw associates would be quitting in droves on January 1 for $500k 11-4 permanent WFH in-house jobs unless the bonus scale doubled. Where are you all?!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:39 pm

Immediate post-bonus quitter senior going in house for a small pay cut checking in here. I’m sure there are others who have quit that haven’t posted yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:55 pm

Immediate post-bonus lateral moving from NYC firm that was stingy with bonuses to a different firm checking in.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

EliteFlyer

New

Post by EliteFlyer » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:29 pm

thisismytlsuername wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:23 pm
I thought biglaw associates would be quitting in droves on January 1 for $500k 11-4 permanent WFH in-house jobs unless the bonus scale doubled. Where are you all?!
Where are these $500K 11-4 permanent WFH in-house jobs you speak of?

Sackboy

Silver

Post by Sackboy » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:53 pm

EliteFlyer wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:29 pm
OP is making fun of the anonymous posters who alluded to the fact that they were jumping ship to greener pastures to only show up post-bonus with deafening silence.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:00 pm

EliteFlyer wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:29 pm
I have two of these. Pretty chill to make a cool million working less than I did in big law. I just work from 11am-4pm, live my life, then work from 11pm-4am, then sleep and repeat.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”