lateral after one month at new firm? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

lateral after one month at new firm?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:03 am

Hi all,

I recently lateraled to a small firm with close to big law salary, but this was because the big law firm I wanted to lateral to told me that they could not make a decision on hiring me till next year.

So I've been at my new firm for like a month and the big law firm reached out to my recruiter and asked if I am still interested in being hired.

will they refuse to extend an offer once they found out I already went to another firm? how bad would that look to lateral after one month?

Silver

Re: lateral after one month at new firm?

Post by 2013 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:03 am
Hi all,

I recently lateraled to a small firm with close to big law salary, but this was because the big law firm I wanted to lateral to told me that they could not make a decision on hiring me till next year.

So I've been at my new firm for like a month and the big law firm reached out to my recruiter and asked if I am still interested in being hired.

will they refuse to extend an offer once they found out I already went to another firm? how bad would that look to lateral after one month?
Chances are you may need to interview with someone again, so it’ll be brought up and you’ll have a chance to explain yourself.

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:29 pm

I suppose I have a different thought on this one. What does the timing, etc. say about the BigLaw firm that pushed pause on the hiring? If the BigLaw firm could not make a decision about moving forward for a position that should have had full hiring approval before starting the interview process, be sure you understand why. It could be an indication about how they make decisions (slowly, by committee, by group, etc.) which could indicate how you will be treated as an associate. As the previous poster mentioned, you would probably have additional interviews and it would be worth trying to understand their process and culture better. Always remember interviews are a two way street.

The worst thing you could do would be to leave the new smaller firm only to find out the culture at the bigger firm isn't the right fit. Your exit options begin to narrow with too many moves in a very short time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:34 pm

I don't have any advice and honestly don't know what I'd do in your place, but if you have to interview again and then go through background check, conflict check, and only then give notice, it's likely to be a 3-4 month period until you'd actually start in the biglaw. Not sure if that changes your calculations.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”