Summer Associate Conflicts Questionnaire Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Summer Associate Conflicts Questionnaire

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:50 am

Current 2L, will be doing my SA this summer. Really quick question; Essentially, the firm is asking me whether I've "ever worked for another law firm or another entity in a legal capacity". Does interning for a law firm (which, just for context, was in another country) count as working "in a legal capacity" for the purposes of this questionnaire?

Thanks!

becodalapa

New

Re: Summer Associate Conflicts Questionnaire

Post by becodalapa » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:33 am

Yes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:07 am

becodalapa wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:33 am
Yes.
Are you sure? In the email they sent, they also said "If you are a non-attorney candidate with no prior legal experience, you are only required to complete [sections other than the one asking about legal work experience]". It just so happens that I am a non-attorney candidate, as I haven't passed the bar yet, nor is the summer associate role contingent on being an attorney.

Surely being an intern is not working "in a legal capacity", as you're not an attorney at that stage. Or is there something else the firm is trying to gather from asking this?

Prudent_Jurist

Bronze

Post by Prudent_Jurist » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:33 am

Why didn’t you include that info in your original post?

If you’re bothered by it, do your due diligence and ask whoever’s organizing your program or sent you the conflicts check. I’d disclose because you’re looking to get hired there as an attorney eventually, I imagine. Plus, you already put that work experience on your resume, I assume, so the firm already knows about it anyway.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:04 am

Just include as much as you can, and note your capacity in each position. They're just trying to find out if you'll need to be walled off a few matters, it's not a big deal.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

becodalapa

New

Post by becodalapa » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:07 am
becodalapa wrote:
Yes.
Are you sure? In the email they sent, they also said "If you are a non-attorney candidate with no prior legal experience, you are only required to complete [sections other than the one asking about legal work experience]". It just so happens that I am a non-attorney candidate, as I haven't passed the bar yet, nor is the summer associate role contingent on being an attorney.

Surely being an intern is not working "in a legal capacity", as you're not an attorney at that stage. Or is there something else the firm is trying to gather from asking this?
Why don’t you ask the firm then? My firm had us fill out conflicts questionnaires based on internships and clinics even though we obviously weren’t attorneys yet, as did most of the firms I know people at. Like another poster said, it’s just to see if they should wall you off from certain matters. Disclosing isn’t going to hurt you or anything.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:07 am
becodalapa wrote:
Yes.

If you interned in IT setting up computers, then it was not "in a legal capacity." If you interned in anyway that involved preparing legal documents, discussing legal strategy, etc. then it was "in a legal capacity."

Anyway it doesnt matter. Just put it on the paper. I had like a 10 page conflict form, they figure it out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”