Which partners at your firms are notoriously great to work for? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Which partners at your firms are notoriously great to work for?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:18 pm

Looking for the bright side of the other post

anymouseqwerty

New

Re: Which partners at your firms are notoriously great to work for?

Post by anymouseqwerty » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:54 pm

So sad no one has chimed in on this

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:12 am

If I recall, the other post similar to this had someone call OP a bootlicker for even insinuating that a partner might be pleasant to work with...I'd bet it was a law school student too.

Prudent_Jurist

Bronze

Post by Prudent_Jurist » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:15 am

Lawyers are pessimistic masochists, so we find the most terrible partners to work for the most interesting.

Illustrations of good partners to look for are useful. Why wouldn’t you want to flag qualities that make a grueling job more tolerable?

There are two lit partners at my firm I consistently try to get work from. They’re great at managing my time and impending deadlines, which makes my life much easier. They’re also super responsive to questions, as long as you’ve tried to answer the questions yourself first. They also actively try to mentor me by giving me substantive work and decisions to make (i.e., writing a dispositive motion, an appellate brief, weighing in on what pre-trial motions to file), which they backstop.

Figuring out which partners are best to work for isn’t bootlicking. Martin Luther once said that the will is like a donkey that either the God or the Devil will ride. An associate is also like a donkey that either a good partner or a bad partner will ride.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:56 pm

Junior at a V10. The partners are so far removed that I can’t comment on them yet, but I can describe some things that midlevels and seniors do that are good. For example, giving the juniors warnings when they sense a bunch of work coming in (got an email like “hey there’s nothing to do yet, but I thought you should know that it’s looking like the next few days might get fucked up so be on the lookout”).

Also, explaining why fake deadlines or other weird timing things exist. For example, starting off the conversation by saying “the client needs this by Monday morning, which means the share partner needs to see it by Sunday afternoon. This means the NSP needs to have it no later than Saturday night and preferably Saturday morning, which means that the midlevels need everything by Friday morning. Which is why unfortunately we need you guys to complete the diligence by tomorrow night (Thursday).” Such deadlines still suck, but it feels less arbitrary this way.

Another thing is changing late night deadlines to early morning. One senior always tries to give deadlines as 8am Wednesday instead of 1am Tuesday, for example, because nobody is actually going to review it in the middle of the night (unless this a closing or something), and it gives the junior more flexibility with their timing and sleep.

Finally, there’s a real subtle difference in tone where the person above you can either come across like they’re entitled to your time and effort in a demanding way (because you’re just some shitty junior who has to jump at their command), or instead like they’re requesting your help as a member of the team. In both cases, the junior is indeed required to help, and the implication that you must do so is equally powerful. But one style makes the junior feel shitty and the other makes them feel good. When I get demands from the first type of person, I think “man fuck this guy” and do it begrudgingly (and start to figure out how I can avoid working with them). When I get requests from the second type, I think “hey at least they asked nicely, let me give them a hand” and look forward to working with them again. It costs nothing for a senior to take the second approach, and in the long run breeds more loyal juniors.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mardash

Bronze

Post by mardash » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:12 am
If I recall, the other post similar to this had someone call OP a bootlicker for even insinuating that a partner might be pleasant to work with...I'd bet it was a law school student too.
It was me and I like that you think I am a student. As everyone knows, students (not associates), notoriously hate law firm partners. Why aren’t you chiming in with your favorite partners to spend the day with, along with suggestions for fun informal lunch spots to bring them?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:46 pm

The premise is a bit off for me. There are partners I respect with regard to how they carry themselves and their processes, but I don’t find any of them “notoriously great” to work for. This job still sucks with a decent boss. It just sucks less.

mardash

Bronze

Post by mardash » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:58 pm

Prudent_Jurist wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:15 am
Lawyers are pessimistic masochists, so we find the most terrible partners to work for the most interesting.

Illustrations of good partners to look for are useful. Why wouldn’t you want to flag qualities that make a grueling job more tolerable?

There are two lit partners at my firm I consistently try to get work from. They’re great at managing my time and impending deadlines, which makes my life much easier. They’re also super responsive to questions, as long as you’ve tried to answer the questions yourself first. They also actively try to mentor me by giving me substantive work and decisions to make (i.e., writing a dispositive motion, an appellate brief, weighing in on what pre-trial motions to file), which they backstop.

Figuring out which partners are best to work for isn’t bootlicking. Martin Luther once said that the will is like a donkey that either the God or the Devil will ride. An associate is also like a donkey that either a good partner or a bad partner will ride.
100% agree—not bootlicking, just smart thinking. But compiling a list of names of “great” law firm partners is bootlicking, at least in my book (and I noticed you didn’t name names either).

Also if they’re so “notorious” that reputation should speak for itself within your firm. That’s kind of what that word means.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:28 pm

In the interest of further derailing this thread, "notoriously great" isn't technically incorrect but doesn't make logical sense. Should be famously great, or notably great. Hope that helps answer your question.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:39 am

Kelly DiBlasi @ Weil BFR

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:24 am

Andrew Michaelson at King & Spalding is great to work for.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:35 pm

There are things that are obviously bad (mean! yelled at me! unreasonable demands without acknowledging they're unreasonable!) and obviously good (nice! told me good job! acknowledged the unreasonable demands were unreasonable and even tried to mitigate them!) but a lot of this depends on who the associate is too. Some people like hands-off partners, others hate having to chase them / resent not being actively mentored, for example. You should think as much about who you like learning from and working under as who is good to work for in some platonic sense.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:22 am

There are certainly downsides to working at HH (mainly, the hours) but the upside is that even juniors work directly with the partners and they are all great (or at least, well above what I would imagine the average BigLaw partner to be)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:59 pm

Chris Austin @ Paul Hastings

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:36 pm

This is a generalization, but in my experience the partners that came from govt (especially AUSAs but probably true of regulators too) are much better to work for in large part because they are more self-sufficient and more interested in telling you the why as opposed to just the what.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:36 pm

double post - sorry.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:23 am

Alan Kornberg & Brian Hermann @ Paul Weiss

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Prudent_Jurist

Bronze

Post by Prudent_Jurist » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:12 pm

mardash wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:58 pm

100% agree—not bootlicking, just smart thinking. But compiling a list of names of “great” law firm partners is bootlicking, at least in my book (and I noticed you didn’t name names either).

Also if they’re so “notorious” that reputation should speak for itself within your firm. That’s kind of what that word means.
I didn’t name names because I’m in midlaw, so (1) no one knows them here anyway, and (2) it would be pretty easy to figure out who I am.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:23 am
Alan Kornberg & Brian Hermann @ Paul Weiss
Would also add Jeff Saferstein; bummed that he left.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:35 pm

Thomas Lauria

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:36 pm

Brian Lavin at PW

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:06 pm

Peter Eyre, gov con, Crowell

Brilliant practitioner, even better human

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:48 am

Any great partners at DPW?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:48 am
Mark Mendez in SEG. John Brandow too (though I had less interaction with him, kinda way above my pay grade).

BrowsingTLS

Bronze

Post by BrowsingTLS » Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:48 am
Neil Barr. He sent a memo raising market.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”