First year corp to lit transfer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

First year corp to lit transfer

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:00 am

Anon for obvious reasons. I am a first year corp associate who started at a v10 recently. I am already thinking the work is just not for me (not just the work I am doing but just in general what corp lawyers do). Do I have to wait at least a year or so before bringing up the transfer talk? Or should I just do it now?

Also who should I reach out to? HR? Lit partners?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Anon-non-anon

Bronze

Re: First year corp to lit transfer

Post by Anon-non-anon » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:46 pm

I suspect the sooner the better. The only issue you might have is ppl are so strapped for corp associates, they may not be too pleased to leave one. If you're tight with any lit partners, maybe good to talk to them first about making sure you'll be busy after the switch.

While firms generally want you to do the work you'd like, it's more important for them to have the bodies they need, and you're kinda asking to screw that up even more than the market has already caused it to be.

You can also consider a pretty quick lateral if your firm turns you down / apply to clerkships. May burn some bridges, but you just started, so they're prob not that strong anyway.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”