M&A work as a US-qualified attorney abroad? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

M&A work as a US-qualified attorney abroad?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:33 pm

I know the general wisdom is that the vast majority of work available for US lawyers abroad is related to high-yield bonds and similar capital markets work.

However, is it possible to do M&A as a US attorney abroad? If so, how would a V10 junior associate with no real language skills go about searching for these positions?

I’m particularly interested in London, but would appreciate insight into any other large non-US markets as well.

Anonymous User

Re: M&A work as a US-qualified attorney abroad?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:33 pm
I know the general wisdom is that the vast majority of work available for US lawyers abroad is related to high-yield bonds and similar capital markets work.

However, is it possible to do M&A as a US attorney abroad? If so, how would a V10 junior associate with no real language skills go about searching for these positions?

I’m particularly interested in London, but would appreciate insight into any other large non-US markets as well.
There was a thread about London a while back that got into this that you might want to search for. Only a few firms in London have M&A teams for US qualified associates in addition to the UK/EU practice. Skadden comes to mind. Maybe also Latham. Those roles do exist, but there's just very few of them. There are international recruiters you can contact, but I'd just check the Chambers Student website, which has a list of US firms in London, and then check their websites.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:25 pm

If you are interested in requalifying in the UK, it's not difficult.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:19 pm

I know someone who did this from my firm. They moved to our sister office in London (same firm family but more complicated than just transferring offices because it's a different entity) after doing a ton of work on deals coming out of that office. Not sure how they pitched themselves though or if they were retraining in the UK. We didn't otherwise have US qualified lawyers in that office, so I assume they were either handling US M&A basics (the associate was pretty junior) or doing UK work.

fluctuatnecmergitur

New

Post by fluctuatnecmergitur » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:52 am

I did this. Feel free to PM me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”