Philadelphia firms Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Philadelphia firms

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:29 am

Does anyone have insight into firms in Philly? Thinking about leaving a white collar boutique in NYC and going to Philly for family reasons, but I have no sense whatsoever of the market there. Are there any good lit boutiques based in Philly? Any BL firms people would recommend (or warn against)? I tried poking around on the internet to see what I could discover, but any insight into the market from people who know it would be much appreciated. I'd be targeting it as a 6-7 year.

Anonymous User

Re: Philadelphia firms

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:47 pm

I can't really speak to Philly firms, but also consider Wilmington as well if your move is driven by geographic reasons.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:49 am

Hangley Aronchick is a smaller firm with a great reputation in the Philly area.

Morgan Lewis is standard big law and a big Philly firm. It’s one of the couple in Philly that pay full NYC scale. Ballard Spahr pays below NYC scale but has a good culture from what I’ve heard (ymmv).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:02 am

I interviewed at Hangley a few years back. Wasn’t in love with them as a boutique and the pay wasn’t great. I’m sure they’ve moved on comp since then though.

If you are a litigator, Philly has prestigious PI that’s considered a better outcome than biglaw in a lot of circles. Kline & Specter is top dog and routinely hires from the T14.

Morgan and Dechert are Phillys sweatshops but pay market. Not sure if you’re looking for lifestyle but they generally aren’t it.

Troutman pays really well now, but also hasn’t had the greatest rep in the past.

Reed is now a good option with their salary increase. I worked there and it was a decent place to bill 2k hours at.

Heard good things about Ballard, Cozen and Faegre. Comp isn’t NYC comp obviously but I think they’ve all made moves recently.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:11 pm

In addition to Morgan and Dechert, Holland and Knight also pays market (salary) in Philly. Not sure about bonus, though.

The “big firms” in Philly are Morgan, Dechert, H&K, Ballard, Duane Morris, Faegre Drinker and Troutman Pepper.

Cozen and Blank Rome are probably in the conversation as well.

Some good Mid-law boutique options include Stevens and Lee, Kleinbard, Conrad O’Brien and Hangley. I’ve heard Hangley can be very uppity about credentials fwiw.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:44 am

I would give a lot to snag a Philly position. Great walkable city, great bar and restaurant scene, down payment on a nice house is cheaper than a down payment on a shit condo in Manhattan, close enough to NY that if there is an exclusive event up there it's a short bus ride away...

I feel like a schmuck paying NYC rent to make market scale when there are some Philly offices paying the same scale. I know there are limited openings in those offices, but damn I want one.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:44 am
I would give a lot to snag a Philly position. Great walkable city, great bar and restaurant scene, down payment on a nice house is cheaper than a down payment on a shit condo in Manhattan, close enough to NY that if there is an exclusive event up there it's a short bus ride away...

I feel like a schmuck paying NYC rent to make market scale when there are some Philly offices paying the same scale. I know there are limited openings in those offices, but damn I want one.
Morgan’s Philly office is one of its bigger, since it’s the HQ, fwiw.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:11 am

Bumping this to see if there's any additional insight. I'm currently considering lateral offers to Philly firms coming from NYC big law. Any updated or additional insight is appreciated.

I am really hoping for more WLB to spend time with my family.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:11 am
Bumping this to see if there's any additional insight. I'm currently considering lateral offers to Philly firms coming from NYC big law. Any updated or additional insight is appreciated.

I am really hoping for more WLB to spend time with my family.
It can be hard to get a spot but Berger Montague is a pretty high level plaintiff firm and reportedly has really solid WLB.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:47 pm

I worked at one of the market paying philly firms and in NYC big law. Would caution against thinking your WLB is going to get materially better solely by moving to Philly. Maybe on the margins, but you will still routinely work nights and weekends when needed. So if you go to one of those firms do it for the money going further in PHL, cultural fit, geography or family, but if you think you are going to sign off at 6pm you will be disappointed. Was corporate.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”