How to speak to a Sr Associate/JR Partner about delivering work to client? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to speak to a Sr Associate/JR Partner about delivering work to client?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:09 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wwwcol

Bronze

Re: How to speak to a Sr Associate/JR Partner about delivering work to client?

Post by wwwcol » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:15 pm

I would just add the senior associate to the thread and diplomatically put it on them to provide an update.

Anonymous User

Re: How to speak to a Sr Associate/JR Partner about delivering work to client?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:21 pm

No one can appreciate the subtleties of this transaction but you, but the fact that you would consider going behind the back of the partner you work to a more senior partner is outrageous to me in this situation. I think others may disagree, but I find it outrageously snakey and the way I think you've handled the below (based on your description alone and being far from the transaction) is poor.

Firstly, don't think you should be telling the client you're 'following up' with the now junior partner if that is how you're phrasing it. You should say something more like "there's a lot of wood to chop on this one and me and xyz are working on it as quickly as we reasonably can; we will revert as soon as we have a good working draft that addresses all the issues". Moreover, just suggest to the senior if you're that distressed that you loop him into an email chain with the client to update on timing since client wants to hear from him on it? Would be surprised if there was an objection. You could also note to him that "I'm sure you totally know this jurisdiction is crazy, can we talk to [senior partner] about what timing should look like for the deal doc as well as the ancillaries? Want to make sure we don't miss anything here".

You come off as a massive snake who is disloyal to those above you. Feels like you're just begging for any excuse to stab the person above you in the back rather than work constructively with them. 1000 ways to cover your ass here without trying to torpedo the junior partner.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”