Transition from BigLaw to Non Legal Business Role Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
FutureisFintech

New

Transition from BigLaw to Non Legal Business Role

Post by FutureisFintech » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:04 pm

Hi all,

I'm very curious about non legal career paths, other than compliance, post Big Law. What are some of the typical non legal options that a: (1) junior associate (1-2 years) and/or mid level associate (3-5 years) would have after working in a practice group, like M&A, in a V10 New York firm?

Do your options depend more on your undergraduate background/work experience or will your practice group experience be more indicative of your choices? I realize this question may be a bit broad, but I'm interested in seeing if there is a typical route that lawyers who do this choose to take.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: Transition from BigLaw to Non Legal Business Role

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:02 pm

What are some of the typical non legal options that a: (1) junior associate (1-2 years) and/or mid level associate (3-5 years) would have after working in a practice group, like M&A, in a V10 New York firm?
None, given the bolded. This is a unicorny/non-traditional thing to do. Would mainly hinge on your non-law qualifications: if you have a nice coding portfolio/résumé you can probably exit law to go back to software whenever you like; if you worked in [Industry] before law school and maintained professional connections you might be able to go back; etc.

This is one of the main reasons behind the "don't go to law school" advice people give 0Ls: once you get the JD, you're fairly securely railroaded into the practice of law. Overqualified for entry-level positions, under-/non-qualified for midlevel positions, and too golden-handcuffed (or simply debt-handcuffed) to retrain.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:18 pm

Also interested - but I think a better way to phrase it might be what the most realistic or possible non-legal exits are? Or at least predominantly non-legal...

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:18 pm
Also interested - but I think a better way to phrase it might be what the most realistic or possible non-legal exits are? Or at least predominantly non-legal...
Without any specifics I'd recommend someone learn to code and go into tech. We're literally just talking about "jobs that exist" so people's recommendations are mostly going to reflect their own biases/experience/preferences.

Specifics that you'd want to delineate:

- Pay/prestige expectations (if no such expectations then the answer is "Amazon delivery" or something; you could make a lot of money roughnecking in the Dakotas but I assume that's not what OP had in mind)

- Definition of "non-legal" (there's lots of legal-adjacent but non-lawyer jobs people end up in: compliance at a bank, or research at a litigation funder, etc., but those are generally not what is meant by "Non Legal Business Role" which implies an actual operational role at a business with P/L responsibility etc.)

- Willingness/ability to move across the country, go back to school, and/or pay your dues in the entry-level process of another industry

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:58 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:02 pm
What are some of the typical non legal options that a: (1) junior associate (1-2 years) and/or mid level associate (3-5 years) would have after working in a practice group, like M&A, in a V10 New York firm?
None, given the bolded. This is a unicorny/non-traditional thing to do. Would mainly hinge on your non-law qualifications: if you have a nice coding portfolio/résumé you can probably exit law to go back to software whenever you like; if you worked in [Industry] before law school and maintained professional connections you might be able to go back; etc.

This is one of the main reasons behind the "don't go to law school" advice people give 0Ls: once you get the JD, you're fairly securely railroaded into the practice of law. Overqualified for entry-level positions, under-/non-qualified for midlevel positions, and too golden-handcuffed (or simply debt-handcuffed) to retrain.
Agreed.

OP you would need to get your MBA from a top school (like the M7/T15 schools) and look to pivot. But even then, some industries are blocked off for you because of lack of prior WE in those fields.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:03 pm

I am in house now; spent about 7 years at large firms prior to that. There are two paths that you have.

One is the “unicorn” path mentioned above, where you get lucky and lateral directly into a banking position or something. Very difficult but not *completely* unheard of for someone with the right background to move into banking or (even more rarely) other finance positions, and I suppose other direct non-legal jumps could be possible, too (besides something like compliance). Definitely don’t plan on this.

More common than “unicorn,” though still not super likely, is what I see at my in house job. Every once in a while, an attorney will really get close to a business unit during the course of their career, a position at the right level will open up, and the attorney will end up slotting into the business unit role. You still need some luck here because a lot depends on the right spot opening up at the right time, but with solid networking and putting in the extra effort to go beyond the scope of most in-house jobs, definitely possible at many places.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:13 pm

Most common exits from law firms seem to be (1) legal recruiting and (2) insurance brokers (for R&W insurance). Neither seem like great jobs to me but those are def the most common in my experience.

HLS1983

New

Post by HLS1983 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:15 pm

Maybe check out consulting as well. You might have to network your way to an interview, but I think that’s a viable transition if you can learn to crack case interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:53 pm

I was at a v5 and I have seen people go into (and I myself went into) management consulting, banking, hedge fund trading, business operations roles at startups and corporate development roles from the firm as junior to mid level associates. Generally, people didn’t have the “non legal” background that would make them an obvious candidate for these roles but if people think that you are smart and hard working, they may be willing to take a chance on you. It’s also definitely easier if you have either a personal connection via your network to help smooth the transition or if you work at a top firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:45 am

I know a couple people who left biglaw after a year or less to do policy at major corps. But they had really unique credentials (HYS, relevant work experience, etc.)

Pomeranian

Bronze

Post by Pomeranian » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:15 am

Unless you have prior background before law, you probably won't be taken seriously in many business roles as a lawyer. You may have to get an MBA to pivot.

Inhousefuture

New

Post by Inhousefuture » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:03 pm
I am in house now; spent about 7 years at large firms prior to that. There are two paths that you have.

One is the “unicorn” path mentioned above, where you get lucky and lateral directly into a banking position or something. Very difficult but not *completely* unheard of for someone with the right background to move into banking or (even more rarely) other finance positions, and I suppose other direct non-legal jumps could be possible, too (besides something like compliance). Definitely don’t plan on this.

More common than “unicorn,” though still not super likely, is what I see at my in house job. Every once in a while, an attorney will really get close to a business unit during the course of their career, a position at the right level will open up, and the attorney will end up slotting into the business unit role. You still need some luck here because a lot depends on the right spot opening up at the right time, but with solid networking and putting in the extra effort to go beyond the scope of most in-house jobs, definitely possible at many places.
What type of industries is the Firm-> In House -> Business role trajectory most possible/least unlikely? Going beyond the scope of most in-house jobs in what way? Do in-house jobs often allow you to get a taste of business type work or at least watch business people up close in action?
Thanks

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”