Prospects of early switch from Bank Finance —> Gen Corp/M&A/CapM? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Prospects of early switch from Bank Finance —> Gen Corp/M&A/CapM?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:06 am

Hey everyone. I’m a second year at a V10 and I work exclusively in banking (bank side lending work). I was actually direct-hired into this group as a 3L. I am becoming increasingly worried about being stuck in this practice long term, and I don’t want to make partner or work in house at a bank.

So, could anyone share any stories/info on the likelihood of switching to a practice that yields more favorable exit ops?

I don’t care if I have to slide down a band or 2 in firm prestige—I just want to set myself to move in-house. How far will the prestige of a V10 go in helping me break into a new group elsewhere? I definitely want to make the move sooner rather than later because I don’t want to get to the point of no return.

Any advice or information would be appreciated 🙏🏼

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: Prospects of early switch from Bank Finance —> Gen Corp/M&A/CapM?

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:52 pm

Just start applying ASAP. Your target practice areas are white-hot right now and it's only going to get harder to "retool" you as you get more experienced. If the lateral market weren't so fierce right now, this might actually take some strategizing, but it is, so you can literally just start mass-mailing V20s in NYC.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”