Switching Markets and/or Practice Groups Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Switching Markets and/or Practice Groups

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:39 pm

I'm a 3L who is placed in the transactional group of a NYC firm (my firm puts you in one or the other). I only did transactional work during my 2L SA. This is because, last year during OCI/EIP, I just didn't know what I wanted and this path seemed easiest. However, there are two things I've realized:
1. I want to do litigation
2. I want to return to my home market (CHI/CA/TX)

Is it basically too late to do either of these things? I think I might have gotten a litigation/non-NY role if I had shot for it last year, since I go to a t6 and have a decent resume.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: Switching Markets and/or Practice Groups

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:29 pm

I would apply to clerkships like it's going out of style and simultaneously start networking/applying in your home market. Not nearly too late to make the switch but you can't afford to dither.

bretby

Bronze

Re: Switching Markets and/or Practice Groups

Post by bretby » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:58 am

While you're applying to firms in your market, you could also ask to switch to lit. I knew someone who asked (even thought it was a firm that *never did that*) and they let him switch. Worst thing is they say no.....

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”