Timeline on when to reach out to lateral Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Timeline on when to reach out to lateral

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:36 pm

So, I am currently a 3L at a T14 (median grades) who is joining a V50 firm in NYC next year. I am really looking forward to it and I know I want to be in NYC for a few years. However, I know that in 2-3 years I will want to return home. My home city is a secondary market with a few big law shops, but definitely not to the LA/SF/Chicago/NYC size. I bid all the home market firms that went to my OCI but unfortunately did not land any offers in my home market.

My question is when should I reach out to start making connections at the firms in that market. I was thinking of making some preliminary networking connections, but any advice on when/how to start those connections would be super appreciated.

I am happy with my current situation, but I just want to place myself in the best possible position to make this transition in a couple years and after gaining some experience. I am a little concerned about making my current firm upset at all if they were to know of my future plans

Thanks so much!

Anonymous User

Re: Timeline on when to reach out to lateral

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:25 am

OP poster - bumping because I really need advice. Admins feel free to delete comment if this is outside the scope of rules :)

Anonymous User

Re: Timeline on when to reach out to lateral

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:12 am

I don't think there is any particular rush on networking. Generally lateral moves can go really fast (when I was thinking of lateraling, the process from sending in my resume to getting an offer was less than two weeks). Maybe it is worth checking in with a recruiter (maybe even now) to see what their perspective on the job market is on moves for 2nd/3rd years, as they probably have a good idea how hard it would be.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”