Should market bonus increase like salaries did? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Should market bonus increase like salaries did?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:08 pm

Seems reasonable to ask: if market salaries all increased, could we expect market bonuses to increase also? Would this have been announced already with year-end approaching?

Anonymous User

Re: Should market bonus increase like salaries did?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:06 pm

It seems there are two trains of thought on this:
1. Biglaw is having another historic year in terms of profits and hours worked by associate, and not increasing bonuses whilst the partners make record amounts would be unfathomable.
2. Increasing EOY bonuses is likely to just cause more associates to leave as they get a large lump sum and thus worsen attrition.

I personally believe that the first option is more likely, but would not be surprised if the bonus is paid out over the course of the year, similar to banking where there is a material time gap between bonus announcements and vesting. A lot of people also believe that retention/special bonuses will also be announced at the same time in order to try and reign in the amount of people that would leave after getting an increased bonus. Just my $0.02.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:06 pm
1. Biglaw is having another historic year in terms of profits and hours worked by associate, and not increasing bonuses whilst the partners make record amounts would be unfathomable.
2. Increasing EOY bonuses is likely to just cause more associates to leave as they get a large lump sum and thus worsen attrition.

I personally believe that the first option is more likely, but would not be surprised if the bonus is paid out over the course of the year, similar to banking where there is a material time gap between bonus announcements and vesting. A lot of people also believe that retention/special bonuses will also be announced at the same time in order to try and reign in the amount of people that would leave after getting an increased bonus. Just my $0.02.
To be clear, the line of thinking that "giving more money = increased attrition" is an absolutely foolish one that goes against all economic evidence. It's a classic example of lawyers overthinking something and missing the basic insight. Yes, there will be edge cases where an attorney is prompted to leave because they finally reach a number, but the overwhelming effect of more money = better retention, regardless of how it comes.

Elvis_Dumervil

New

Post by Elvis_Dumervil » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

The additional advantage of basically announcing special bonuses for later in 2022 is that it's much easier to cut those in the future than it would be to pull back on the EOY bonus (just as EOY bonus is easier to cut than salary).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:28 pm

It seems unlikely that an additional $15-20k on year-end bonuses would be the straw on the camel’s back to prompt many associates to leave when they otherwise would not have.

Barrred

Bronze

Post by Barrred » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:31 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

To be clear, the line of thinking that "giving more money = increased attrition" is an absolutely foolish one that goes against all economic evidence. It's a classic example of lawyers overthinking something and missing the basic insight. Yes, there will be edge cases where an attorney is prompted to leave because they finally reach a number, but the overwhelming effect of more money = better retention, regardless of how it comes.
This is absolutely right. Bonus increases as a retention tool is based on the fact that associates will look at how much more they'll make next year and decide to stick around. Also, from personal experience, very few people actually leave biglaw after achieving some specific monetary goal that they set before they start---it very often ends up being a moving target. People quit biglaw because they're burned out and/or have a better option, not because they piled up $100K in their savings account.

almostperfectt

Bronze

Post by almostperfectt » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:44 pm

Elvis_Dumervil wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:09 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

The additional advantage of basically announcing special bonuses for later in 2022 is that it's much easier to cut those in the future than it would be to pull back on the EOY bonus (just as EOY bonus is easier to cut than salary).
I understand this in theory, but I wonder how well it holds up in practice. Do we have any examples of EOY bonus being cut in biglaw? I know there were some salary cuts in 2020 to deal with uncertainties.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:11 pm

almostperfectt wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:44 pm
Elvis_Dumervil wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I understand this in theory, but I wonder how well it holds up in practice. Do we have any examples of EOY bonus being cut in biglaw? I know there were some salary cuts in 2020 to deal with uncertainties.
Yeah, literally the last recession. And I'm sure you could go back to previous recessions and find the same thing. In 2007, first-years (not stub) got $35k plus a special $10k, $45k total. 2008, $17.5k. 2009, $7.5k. (All Cravath, all from ATL posts).

For fifth years, the 2007-2009 numbers are $95k ($55k bonus, $40k special), $27.5k, $25k.

So yes, there was a decline of nearly 75%.

ETA: I'm not sure the salary scale has ever declined (though definitely in 2008/9 some marginal firms cut pay, and there were layoffs, start date delays, de-equitizations, etc.)

Probably you could get bonus info from earlier years, e.g. 2001, from American Lawyer, but that's not what I want to do at the moment.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

almostperfectt

Bronze

Post by almostperfectt » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:11 pm
almostperfectt wrote:
Elvis_Dumervil wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah, literally the last recession. And I'm sure you could go back to previous recessions and find the same thing. In 2007, first-years (not stub) got $35k plus a special $10k, $45k total. 2008, $17.5k. 2009, $7.5k. (All Cravath, all from ATL posts).

For fifth years, the 2007-2009 numbers are $95k ($55k bonus, $40k special), $27.5k, $25k.

ETA: I'm not sure the salary scale has ever declined (though definitely in 2008/9 some marginal firms cut pay, and there were layoffs, start date delays, de-equitizations, etc.)

Probably you could get bonus info from earlier years, e.g. 2001, from American Lawyer, but that's not what I want to do at the moment.
Oh wow I had no idea. That's an insane cut and now I feel even more entitled to $$$

peoplearehungry

New

Post by peoplearehungry » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:52 pm

almostperfectt wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:54 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
almostperfectt wrote:
Elvis_Dumervil wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Oh wow I had no idea. That's an insane cut and now I feel even more entitled to $$$
Harder to walk back salary increases, though some firms got over the fear of exposing themselves as TTT and did it (*cough* Mayer Brown *cough*) at the outset of covid. Bonuses are traditionally the first to go. Demand as much bonus as you can, while you can. You never know what tomorrow brings.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:18 pm

Barrred wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:43 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
People quit biglaw because they're burned out and/or have a better option, not because they piled up $100K in their savings account.
What about $1.0mm on top of that 100k? I should quit already.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:18 pm
Barrred wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:43 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
People quit biglaw because they're burned out and/or have a better option, not because they piled up $100K in their savings account.
What about $1.0mm on top of that 100k? I should quit already.
lol $1.1m can be a lot or a little depending on how you are living your life and what your future plans are. Absolute numbers w/o context are pretty meaningless

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:38 pm

Hi for any partners reading this I just want you to know that if you give me a big bonus I will be very grateful and loyal to the firm.

Wanderingdrock

Bronze

Post by Wanderingdrock » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:38 pm
Hi for any partners reading this I just want you to know that if you give me a big bonus I will be very grateful and loyal to the firm.
This but not joking.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:04 am

Wanderingdrock wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:22 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:38 pm
This but not joking.
This and I'm burnt out. The only way to keep me going is with more EOY cash bonus than I already expect to receive based on prior year scales. I really like money because it motivates me to work harder and makes me feel good about what I'm doing with my life.

Ultramar vistas

Bronze

Post by Ultramar vistas » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:33 am

Cash

Rules

Everything

Around

Me

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:14 am

almostperfectt wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:54 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
almostperfectt wrote:
Elvis_Dumervil wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

A partner mentioned to me in passing that, then as an associate, it took five years post-Recession for his bonus amount to return to the level it had been before the crash.

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:00 am

If we don't get at least 35k more at the top for end of year bonuses, I'm leaving for sure. In-house never looked so sweet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:46 am

glitched wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:00 am
If we don't get at least 35k more at the top for end of year bonuses, I'm leaving for sure. In-house never looked so sweet.
I can't tell you the number of colleagues I've seen this year especially who have just said "fuck it" and have gone in-house. People who were viewed as promising candidates for equity. People with great reputations. People who were considered great lawyers. Everyone is getting burned out.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”