If you renege on post-2L summer offer, do your supervising attorneys know? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

If you renege on post-2L summer offer, do your supervising attorneys know?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:19 pm

Does news about acceptance & reneging tend to stay within HR and the hiring attorneys, or do they also reach the partner-level attorneys who supervise the summers but aren't as directly involved in the hiring process?

I recently had to renege on my post-2L SA offer because I have to relocate, but the market I'm moving to has an experiential credit requirement. To fulfill this requirement, I'll have to get my summer work hours validated by my supervising attorney at my 2L summer firm. But I'm worried that this could get awkward if they know that I didn't just not take the offer but reneged on it.

To make matters worse, the 2L summer firm is a midsize firm so news might have traveled quickly and pervasively. I did have a legitimate reason for relocating and the conversation with my 2L summer firm didn't turn emotional or hostile. But I understand that reneging is reneging and that it still may have burned bridges, even if it wasn't in some spectacular explosive fashion.

Would reaching out to my 2L summer supervising attorney still be a faux pas? If anyone's been in this situation, how did you handle it?

Wubbles

Bronze

Re: If you renege on post-2L summer offer, do your supervising attorneys know?

Post by Wubbles » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:05 am

I can say that my firm sends out an email everytime a summer accepts an offer so I imagine they'd know at a smaller firm (mine has about 20 summers).

nixy

Gold

Re: If you renege on post-2L summer offer, do your supervising attorneys know?

Post by nixy » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:24 am

Whether they know you reneged or not, you still worked there and you still need to get the hours verified. Just reach out politely, they’re not going to refuse the technical step of verifying your hours because you reneged. Burning bridges means you won’t get a job with them in future, it doesn’t mean they look for any opportunity to sabotage you or refuse to speak with you (especially since you had a good reason).

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”