REPAYE minimum payment calculation Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

REPAYE minimum payment calculation

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:41 pm

Is the repaye min payment based on the prior year's AGI? My payment came in lower than what I expected, and far closer to what it would have been based on last year's income.

Anonymous User

Re: REPAYE minimum payment calculation

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:28 pm

It's based on whatever information you last gave them about your income. So that's either a paystub or your last year's tax return. Since you haven't paid taxes on 2021 yet, yes, it's probably based on your income reported for 2020, unless you submitted a paystub since you started working.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:22 pm

I haven’t given them a paystub but they didn’t ask on the application as far as I remember; I thought it asked how much I made, and if it did I certainly put in my full gross salary per annum. Seems odd they would lowball the min payment and then not adjust until recertification

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:09 am

The application doesn't ask you to provide your income, it links up electronically with your last tax return. So that's where they'd have got your financial information and that's what the payment is based on.

Basically you have to certify your income every 12 months. There's nothing that requires you to notify them of changes in income before the 12 months is up. You *can* notify them, so for instance if your income went down drastically you could submit a paystub so they'd lower your monthly payment. And I think you're sort of encouraged to notify them if your salary goes up a bunch, but again, you're only *required* to do so every 12 months. So everyone has a really low payment their first year (assuming you didn't work full time while going to law school) and that's just kind of how the system works.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:07 am

Okay great, thank you. Just want to make sure I'm doing it all by the book since I am trying for PSLF

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”