Fully Remote -- Anyone done it yet? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Fully Remote -- Anyone done it yet?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:35 pm

Tired of living in my big city -- have any of you taken the plunge on these "fully remote associate position!" emails we keep getting? I'm an M&A/CapM associate, mid-level.

They seem like they'd be the first positions to get cut in a downturn, and without having an personal connection to an office, might be challenging. Any real-world experiences?

My firm does not allow full remote (or even part time). The expectation is we will be back in the office soon, like pre-pandemic. I don't mind being in the office (I probably even prefer it), but don't want to live where biglaw offices are.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Fully Remote -- Anyone done it yet?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:35 pm
Tired of living in my big city -- have any of you taken the plunge on these "fully remote associate position!" emails we keep getting? I'm an M&A/CapM associate, mid-level.

They seem like they'd be the first positions to get cut in a downturn, and without having an personal connection to an office, might be challenging. Any real-world experiences?

My firm does not allow full remote (or even part time). The expectation is we will be back in the office soon, like pre-pandemic. I don't mind being in the office (I probably even prefer it), but don't want to live where biglaw offices are.

Thanks!
Damn, I haven't gotten any of these and would jump on them if I saw then. Who is sending these offers out?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:32 am

Also interested in these openings for litigators. Based on my recruiter conversations, firms hiring in lit are not likely to publicly post a remote role, but for the right candidate, some are open to considering full remote. The idea being (so I am told) is a firm does not want their current associates seeing a full remote position posted and they want to keep the large majority of associates coming into the office.

Like OP said, there are real downsides to these, but I am looking to lateral to squeeze 1 or 2 more years out of biglaw, so I'm much less concerned about less connection to the office/lower partnership odds/first to be cut if the economy goes south.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:55 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:35 pm

Thanks!
Damn, I haven't gotten any of these and would jump on them if I saw then. Who is sending these offers out?
OP here -- I get 1-3 a week. I'd email a recruiter and ask, they seem pretty common at this point.

buttfumble

New

Post by buttfumble » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:35 am

I’m at WSGR and am technically fully remote. I live roughly 2 hours away from our Palo Alto office but there is no expectation for me to ever go in (however I plan to go in every now and then when I feel like it - mostly just to meet peeps). It’s a great setup and I know we are actively hiring remote associates.

Spartan_Alum_12

Bronze

Post by Spartan_Alum_12 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:52 am

buttfumble wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:35 am
I’m at WSGR and am technically fully remote. I live roughly 2 hours away from our Palo Alto office but there is no expectation for me to ever go in (however I plan to go in every now and then when I feel like it - mostly just to meet peeps). It’s a great setup and I know we are actively hiring remote associates.
I'm at a small IP boutique with a similar set up. Usually going in twice a week right now but may transition to full remote and move eventually (1.5 - 2 years) if the current set up continues.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”