Status of litigation lateral hiring? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
baronsol

New

Status of litigation lateral hiring?

Post by baronsol » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:39 pm

What’s the current state of the lateral market for litigators in major markets (DC, NY, LA,SF)? I know corporate work is overflowing right now and laterals are receiving large bonuses; is the litigation market in a similar spot?

Anonymous User

Re: Status of litigation lateral hiring?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:28 pm

baronsol wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:39 pm
What’s the current state of the lateral market for litigators in major markets (DC, NY, LA,SF)? I know corporate work is overflowing right now and laterals are receiving large bonuses; is the litigation market in a similar spot?
In, short, no. I've had recruiters reach out, but my understanding is that demand is not nearly as hot as corporate (which isn't to say there isn't any), and that there won't be nearly as large signing bonuses or anything like that. Would welcome any corrections if I'm wrong.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:28 pm
baronsol wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:39 pm
In, short, no. I've had recruiters reach out, but my understanding is that demand is not nearly as hot as corporate (which isn't to say there isn't any), and that there won't be nearly as large signing bonuses or anything like that. Would welcome any corrections if I'm wrong.
Dc antitrust is on fire right now. Midlevel and have been offered a 6 figure signing bonus and full year end bonus to lateral. If you have legit antitrust and trial experience, you can get PAID right now in dc

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:52 pm

I agree with both posts as a midlevel in lit who’s been looking. It’s nowhere near as hot as the top corporate practices, but compared to normal times, it’s pretty warm and still a good time to move. There are at least a couple firms paying signing bonuses but they are the exception and not the norm in lit. And yes, I have had multiple recruiters ask me (again, a midlevel) if I’d be open to shifting to antitrust because there are firms desperate for those associates right now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:52 pm
I agree with both posts as a midlevel in lit who’s been looking. It’s nowhere near as hot as the top corporate practices, but compared to normal times, it’s pretty warm and still a good time to move. There are at least a couple firms paying signing bonuses but they are the exception and not the norm in lit. And yes, I have had multiple recruiters ask me (again, a midlevel) if I’d be open to shifting to antitrust because there are firms desperate for those associates right now.
Ugh, I'd love to make a switch to antitrust, but I'm in transactional.

From my experience, the litigation market isn't very hot. I've raised it with multiple recruiters if they think there is a chance I could switch out of my practice area in a lateral, but they've indicated (and also during the interviews I've had) that they're really only looking for more people in corporate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”