Splitting time between firm offices as an Associate Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
GFox345

Bronze

Splitting time between firm offices as an Associate

Post by GFox345 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:52 pm

I am just coming off two years clerking and am beginning as a third year at a large firm with many U.S. offices in a few weeks. Because of unique family circumstances, I will be frequently traveling between Chicago and a large secondary market. My firm has large offices in both cities. The firm is still remote now, but I expect that they will have at least some facetime requirement in 2022 and on. The salaries are the same in both cities.

My question is this: Does anyone have experience with splitting time between two offices of the same firm? Do I risk harming my career by signaling to both offices that I am not fully committed to them? Or will people not care because I am ultimately working for the same firm?

Thanks.

Tbell247

New

Re: Splitting time between firm offices as an Associate

Post by Tbell247 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:42 pm

Ask. If they’re cool with it, work there. If not, I’m sure there are plenty of firms that would love to have you notwithstanding that arrangement.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:04 pm

Pre-pandemic I didn't have any issues working out of other offices (firm gave me a visiting attorney office) for 2 week trips etc. Not sure if you had something longer in mind but that's been my experience. I imagine it will be even more lax post-pandemic.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:15 pm

wondering this too, especially with firms like K&E and Latham that have multiple offices in the same state.

cayleystark

New

Post by cayleystark » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:51 pm

DELETE

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”