Corp/M&A in Houston with Good QOL Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Corp/M&A in Houston with Good QOL

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:39 pm

Mid-level at one of BB/VE/LW in Houston. Corporate generalist, with a good mix of public and private M&A, PE M&A and capital markets of all varieties. Predictably 100% miserable.

I like this job (client interactions, deals they care about, the rules and processes, negotiations, organization, diversity of deal types, etc.) except for the absolute soul-crushing VOLUME of work. I'm well past the bonus threshold for this year, and will be close to 3k hours for the year. People are miserable in my office, so I'm not alone or an anomaly. I recognize lots of shops are very busy, and lots of folks are unhappy.

Is there a firm in Houston that isn't so crushing? I don't mind a pay cut and am not a prestige-chaser but do need to stay in Houston. I also don't mind working hard, but this pace isn't outside the norm for my entire time at this firm. I don't need advice on "saying no" to deals or anything like that. The firm-specific issues go beyond volume of work and into supervisor, partner involvement, hiring practices, etc.

I'd like to continue as a firm lawyer and make a run at partner. I think I have a chance at my current firm, but don't want to be miserable.

Mostly joking, but in the alternative, does anyone know what KE Houston is paying for mid-level corporate laterals? If I'm going to work like this, I might as well (1) get a $ign-on bonus and (2) get some better bonuses. :?

Anonymous User

Re: Corp/M&A in Houston with Good QOL

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:44 pm

I know someone who just went to Kirkland Houston and got a $300k signing bonus plus guaranteed year-end bonus equal to Kirkland's max (not prorated).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:44 pm
I know someone who just went to Kirkland Houston and got a $300k signing bonus plus guaranteed year-end bonus equal to Kirkland's max (not prorated).
I hate being a mercenary, but I don't do it for free... Any idea what class year they were, and any special characteristics that might make their outcome unique?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:01 pm

Sidley. Partners are happy if you hit bonus threshold (2000/yr).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:49 pm

Sorry, I'd rather not get into additional specifics. But you're right in the sweet spot for Kirkland lateral hiring, so why not reach out to someone you know and get the ball rolling? They are moving fast right now...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:49 pm
Sorry, I'd rather not get into additional specifics. But you're right in the sweet spot for Kirkland lateral hiring, so why not reach out to someone you know and get the ball rolling? They are moving fast right now...
Thanks. I am not necessarily looking to do a 2 year misery tour at KE (though the cash is very tempting).

To the original topic: Does anyone know of a decent quality of life firm in Houston doing general corporate/M&A work? Pay cut is OK (though obv. not ideal), and goal is to have a nice, long and sustainable career as a law firm attorney.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:50 pm

I worked at Norton Rose Fulbright previously. They have a small corporate team in Houston that is collegial, does big deals from time to time, and the firm generally is known for being a "lifestyle" place (although not very financially secure). Pre-COVID, few people billed much in excess of 2000.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:50 pm
I worked at Norton Rose Fulbright previously. They have a small corporate team in Houston that is collegial, does big deals from time to time, and the firm generally is known for being a "lifestyle" place (although not very financially secure). Pre-COVID, few people billed much in excess of 2000.
Thanks! I hadn't considered NRF.

Does anyone know anything about Munsch Hardt (besides the name being challenging), Porter Hedges or Gray Reed?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:58 pm

I did hear good things about NRF, but I also heard that Winston's corp/M&A is smaller and collegial, too (they added some partners from V&E and T&K). Anyone know if that's true?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”