Greenberg Traurig Moves to the Davis Polk Scale in Miami Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Greenberg Traurig Moves to the Davis Polk Scale in Miami

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:06 am

https://abovethelaw.com/2021/09/top-20- ... -new-york/

With rumors of other large law firms moving into Miami (e.g., Kirkland & Ellis), I wonder if this will help lead all the larger firms in Miami to move to the New York market. Historically, only a few NY-based firms with smaller offices in Miami paid NY market in Miami, now both Greenberg Traurig and Holland & Knight both do.

Sackboy

Silver

Re: Greenberg Traurig Moves to the Davis Polk Scale in Miami

Post by Sackboy » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:57 pm

Source on rumors of K&E Miami?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:45 pm

What about other GT offices in FL?

Silver

Post by 2013 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:53 pm

Sackboy wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:57 pm
VERY interested in this as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:02 pm

This would be a big shift in the Miami market (though I think we're heading there anyways). I imagine this would lead to other similar players moving in if K&E does and I know plenty of star NY associates that are dying to flock to Miami.

k_moreno

New

Post by k_moreno » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:23 pm

Sackboy wrote:
Honestly at this point there's no city that would surprise me for them. How do they not have offices in San Antonio and El Paso yet?

BigLawBigTX175

New

Post by BigLawBigTX175 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:10 pm

k_moreno wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:23 pm
Sackboy wrote:
Honestly at this point there's no city that would surprise me for them. How do they not have offices in San Antonio and El Paso yet?
If they, or any other market firm, opened up in Indianapolis, I'd be there in a heartbeat. Praying for the day.

Ultramar vistas

Bronze

Post by Ultramar vistas » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:10 pm

k_moreno wrote:
Sackboy wrote:
Because neither of those cities have large pools of associates who are doing high-ish quality corporate work but are not being paid market rates, and are thus highly poachable.

Working out K&E’s office growth model is not difficult. Would think that Miami, Denver and Seattle are all probably high on the list.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:50 pm

Sackboy wrote:
My information is second hand, from a partner at a biglaw firm in Miami who does corporate/PE work. From what I understand, (1) the rumor started around the time Thoma Bravo announced plans to open an office in Miami, (2) many/most of the firm's corporate associates in Miami have been contacted since then about their interest in lateralling to K&E, and (3) there was apparently some information to suggest that K&E had been looking at real estate in Miami. For the second point, the partner seemed to think that someone had been contacting associates on behalf of K&E specifically, and it had been a particular problem for the firm in Miami.

Sackboy

Silver

Post by Sackboy » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:53 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:50 pm
Sackboy wrote:
My information is second hand, from a partner at a biglaw firm in Miami who does corporate/PE work. From what I understand, (1) the rumor started around the time Thoma Bravo announced plans to open an office in Miami, (2) many/most of the firm's corporate associates in Miami have been contacted since then about their interest in lateralling to K&E, and (3) there was apparently some information to suggest that K&E had been looking at real estate in Miami. For the second point, the partner seemed to think that someone had been contacting associates on behalf of K&E specifically, and it had been a particular problem for the firm in Miami.
This is quite the bread crumb trail. Was unaware that Thoma Bravo had an office in Miami. That's pretty big in terms of justifying KE's move down there.

DukeMountain

New

Post by DukeMountain » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:02 pm
This would be a big shift in the Miami market (though I think we're heading there anyways). I imagine this would lead to other similar players moving in if K&E does and I know plenty of star NY associates that are dying to flock to Miami.
Love the bolded

Sackboy

Silver

Post by Sackboy » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:56 am

DukeMountain wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:16 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:02 pm
Love the bolded
Glad to hear awful NY personalities will spread to not just FL retirees but also associates. Of all the great things I gained out of lateraling, the best was going to a Vault firm with a small NY office.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:17 am

k_moreno wrote:
Sackboy wrote:
Kirkland has been adding offices fast compared to its peers, but not THAT fast. In the last 5 or so years, it’s made a big Texas play (Houston, Dallas, now Austin) plus Boston and Salt Lake City. That’s it for new domestic offices. And KE has offices located only in the usual suspects otherwise - SF, LA, Chi, DC, NY.

k_moreno

New

Post by k_moreno » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:17 am
k_moreno wrote:
Sackboy wrote:
Kirkland has been adding offices fast compared to its peers, but not THAT fast. In the last 5 or so years, it’s made a big Texas play (Houston, Dallas, now Austin) plus Boston and Salt Lake City. That’s it for new domestic offices. And KE has offices located only in the usual suspects otherwise - SF, LA, Chi, DC, NY.
Now, guys, they already have three offices in Texas -- 1/3 of their US offices are there. K&E is a Texas firm. El Paso might not be a hot legal market, but on the other hand they might want better coverage of west Texas. And San Antonio has a river walk.

Silver

Post by 2013 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:01 am

Shouldn’t Kirkland go to Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville, Atlanta, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh too at this point? Shore up all the talent in every midsize and large market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:06 am

So Greenberg, Holland, and White & Case are all at full NY scale now? What about some of the other bigger Miami players like Akerman and Bilzin?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:45 pm
What about other GT offices in FL?
Not sure about GT but I believe Holland is market everywhere now

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”