Federal Circuit Clerk -> appeals work? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Federal Circuit Clerk -> appeals work?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:50 pm

Hi all,

Almost done with my clerkship at the Federal Circuit. I'm a t-14 grad and would like to do appellate work in DC after. I worry that if I apply to a general practice firm, they'll say I'll do appellate and then throw me in the district court trenches. Any appellate boutiques in the DC area I should look at? Or gen practice firms that keep their promises?

Anonymous User

Re: Federal Circuit Clerk -> appeals work?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:57 pm

Orrick has several Fed Cir clerks in their appellate group, and who exclusively do appellate work. Not as fancy a brand, but the appellate group is still strong and the people there seem happy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:18 pm

Morgan Lewis’ IP Lit group has a few Fed Cir clerks they like to put on appeals work. You wouldn’t be able to just do appeals, though. And their DC office’s lit work is very skewed towards ITC work which is soul crushing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:00 pm

Pure appellate positions in DC biglaw are extraordinarily competitive. There are lots of threads on them on here but the TLDR is you will likely need to do trial work too, leave DC, and/or go to work in government. There are some DC appellate boutiques, most notably Goldstein & Russell, but they are also very competitive.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”