Ask for a class year bump when lateraling? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Ask for a class year bump when lateraling?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:34 pm

I’m currently a junior corporate associate at a major market V10 and have an offer from another big law firm in a smaller market that is closer to home. Would it be crazy to ask for a class year bump as part of the negotiation process? I’m not sure if this is common or if they would be turned off/insulted.

Anonymous User

Re: Ask for a class year bump when lateraling?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:21 pm

Do firms know what year you were, asides from just graduation year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:05 pm

If your only reason for asking for a class bump is because you're "coming from New York" they will rightfully be turned off and reject the request.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:31 pm

You can sometimes swing a class year bump if you have something to hang your hat on (a JD/MBA, or maybe some pre-law work experience of obvious value (maybe IP-relevant certifications)), but I also don't think a non-NY market would entertain a year bump request "just because".

I wonder why you'd even want a year bump, though. Typically you'll just be tasked with more work/matters in any case. Even if you're trying to make partner, having more time to learn the ropes would be a benefit.

DukeMountain

New

Post by DukeMountain » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:34 am

Op, what makes you think you deserve a class year bump? I have never seen this given but v interested in figuring out your logic.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:45 am

I’ve heard of it in super competitive practices areas like CFIUS. A corporate junior, which are mostly a dime a dozen, doesn’t seem likely. It’s also probably a bad move - you’ll be compared to your peers at that class year and you’re still on a steep learning curve where a year is a lot of development.

Sackboy

Silver

Post by Sackboy » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:45 am
I’ve heard of it in super competitive practices areas like CFIUS. A corporate junior, which are mostly a dime a dozen, doesn’t seem likely. It’s also probably a bad move - you’ll be compared to your peers at that class year and you’re still on a steep learning curve where a year is a lot of development.
Yep, I've only heard of class year bumps in high-demand specialty practices. I don't know why you'd ever want one. The money is marginal, and it's very possible it puts you behind in terms of your peers in your new class year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”