Help me decide: Chicago vs New York Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which would you rather?

Weil, Gotshal & Manges (NYC)
9%
Fried Frank (NYC)
3%
Sidley (Chicago)
20%
Kirkland & Ellis (Chicago)
55%
Skadden (Chicago)
5%
Latham (NYC)
9%

Total votes: 146

Anonymous User

Help me decide: Chicago vs New York

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:42 am

Aims: corporate general / M&A / PE; prestige; exit ops; COL; more prestige

Anonymous User

Re: Help me decide: Chicago vs New York

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:36 am

Lol the Weil SA voted for Weil

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:12 am

I mean, if you really want prestige I don't see any of the NYC options beating K&E or Sidley in Chi; maybe Skadden's general name brand would be similar. Do you want HQ or non-HQ office? Decide where you want to live, the NYC options are great anyways.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:33 am

If you want prestige and lower COL, this isn't a hard choice. KE Chi. Chicago is significantly more affordable than NY. Kirkland is a V10 and the most prestigious firm in Chicago. It's a bit of a sweatshop, but so is everyone these days.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:35 am

Kirkland Chicago seems to be the easy answer if COL is even a small component of your decision. And Kirkland is arguably a more prestigious choice with equal or better exit options anyway to the others on the list.

Kirkland is also moving into a shiny new building right on the river in a couple years, and you’ll get a premium on your year end bonus there. It sucks for other reasons to be sure.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:57 am

Obviously Kirkland or Sidley Chicago based on your goals. Both are more prestigious than any of the NYC firms as they are the top 2 offices in Chicago. Skadden Chicago is a weird beast, but also very good at what they do if you are interested in tax, for example (which you didn't say you were). Kirkland is a step above Sidley in prestige and a bit better in comp, but there are definitely reasons to choose Sidley (i.e. it's not Kirkland). Exit options really aren't better from Kirkland Chicago than Sidley Chicago, though they will be a bit different. No way to make a wrong choice between these two, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:46 am

Kirklandia and it isn’t close.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:46 am

Chicago is a great town but New York is the greatest city in the world, so one of your New York options is your best bet

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:46 am
Chicago is a great town but New York is the greatest city in the world, so one of your New York options is your best bet
Hmm living in a 2 BR luxury apartment downtown in Chicago or a studio broom closet in Brooklyn via subway with no time anyway to pretend to be a character in Suits. Let’s see…

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:46 am
OP said they care about COL so this is irrelevant trolling.

candycane7990

New

Post by candycane7990 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:51 pm

The Sidley voters are Sidley SAs and juniors; the Kirkland voters are people at other firms. Choose Kirkland.
Last edited by cavalier1138 on Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:51 pm
The Sidley voters are Sidley SAs and juniors; the Kirkland voters are people at other firms. Choose Kirkland.
I don't think so. I mean 90% of the folks doing corporate at Sidley could probably get a lateral offer to do corporate at Kirkland (or vice versa, for that matter). The vast majority don't. Is Kirkland a more prestigous firm and definitely the best firm in Chicago, sure. But there are tons of attorneys in Chicago who could work at Kirkland and opt not to (or get SA offers at Kirkland and choose Latham, Sidley or Skadden). It's not crazy and it's not necessarily a bad choice. Kirkland also has an ATROCIOUS reputation for the work culture in Chicago. Sidley's is reasonably good.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:00 pm
Kirkland also has an ATROCIOUS reputation for the work culture in Chicago. Sidley's is reasonably good.
Kirkland is probably more likely to be a worse place to work (for more money, more prestige, overall better exits IMHO) but not to the extent it gets hyped up to be. Biglaw sucks generally.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

candycane7990

New

Post by candycane7990 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:51 pm

Every Sidley person you talk to is going to claim they got an offer from Kirkland. Don't buy it. They may be able to lateral later, but the firms are not quite peers in Chicago.
Last edited by cavalier1138 on Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robot

New

Post by Robot » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:51 pm
Every Sidley person you talk to is going to claim they got an offer from Kirkland. Don't buy it. They may be able to lateral later, but the firms are not quite peers in Chicago.
Lol this is such 1L BS. Sidley and Kirkland, and for that matter Latham, Jenner (for lit), etc. are at the very top of the Chicago market. All top Chicago firms are selective, moreso than most top New York firms. Most who work at one could easily work at another.

aegor

Bronze

Post by aegor » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mods, could we add a barf smiley to the list?

candycane7990

New

Post by candycane7990 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:10 am

Robot wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:04 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Lol this is such 1L BS. Sidley and Kirkland, and for that matter Latham, Jenner (for lit), etc. are at the very top of the Chicago market. All top Chicago firms are selective, moreso than most top New York firms. Most who work at one could easily work at another.
Bahahah
Last edited by cavalier1138 on Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:50 pm

OP said they're looking for "prestige; exit ops; COL; more prestige"

COL was mentioned, which means Chicago over NY. Prestige was mentioned twice and workplace culture / QOL was mentioned zero times, so that's a clear Kirkland over Sidley (speaking as a Sidley midlevel). As others have said exit ops are a wash.

Chi-Kirkland, enjoy the grind.

Robot

New

Post by Robot » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:27 pm

Gotta love that the anon really was a 1L

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:00 am

Robot wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:04 am
Anonymous User wrote:
This is wrong and false equivalence. Kirkland definitely has tighter hiring standards (and much more prestige) than any other firm in Chicago this side of Bartlit. It's obvious if you look at class OCI data, where people on journals place, where people who get Coif place, etc. I can't believe we're having this discussion in 2021 and suspect you're either a troll or a die-hard Sidley guy. There was a time when K&E and Sidley were considered neck and neck but we're talking decades ago, like the 80s.

Obligatory edit: Sidley is a fantastic firm that is extremely respected in Chicago and nationally. It's just this side of the Vault 10 and it's had an amazing ride up the ranks of prestige over the past few decades, as has Kirkland. Anyone who suggests going to Sidley would be some sort of career ding is nuts because it's an elite law firm in its own right. But if the question is "the best" "the most elite" 'the tightest standards" then it's Kirkland not Sidley. And Kirkland also appears to be on a better economic trajectory, although, again, what Sidely's done over the past ten years is nothing to sniff at it's just that Kirkland is in its own universe right now.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”