what do law students think about skadden Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
blahblahblahggh

New

what do law students think about skadden

Post by blahblahblahggh » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:16 am

what is your impression of skadden? do you think people who go there are dumb? was it bad to pick skadden over other top ny firms like sullivan and cromwell?

LittleRedCorvette

Bronze

Re: what do law students think about skadden

Post by LittleRedCorvette » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:20 pm

blahblahblahggh wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:16 am
what is your impression of skadden? do you think people who go there are dumb? was it bad to pick skadden over other top ny firms like sullivan and cromwell?
It's fine like all of its peers. No. No.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:34 pm

I mean it’s a big fancy expensive top firm. I know there are people who can and probably will parse the fine details of its history and current prestige and profitability and argue about where exactly it fits in relation to its peers and why, but at a macro level this is arguing about how many angels fit on the head of a pin. So really,
LittleRedCorvette wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:20 pm
blahblahblahggh wrote:
It's fine like all of its peers. No. No.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:49 pm

blahblahblahggh wrote:
It's a top firm, well regarded, and peers with the rest of the V5. The people there are bright, as they are at all top firms. No need to overthink it lol

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:08 pm

baller (and smart) for announcing 2022 mid-year retention bonuses already

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ExpOriental

Bronze

Post by ExpOriental » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:46 pm

Lacks "it" factor

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:32 pm

It’s basically a better version of Latham & Watkins.

It’s a step below Wachtell. Half a step below Cravath/S&C/DPW. As good or better than the rest.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:20 pm

Plenty of people at HLS pick it purely based on Vault rankings.

Sackboy

Silver

Post by Sackboy » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:21 pm

ExpOriental wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:46 pm
Lacks "it" factor
I'd also say it lacks "isn't" factor strongly too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:41 pm

agree that it lacks that je ne sais quoi of other, more prestigious law firms. NYU 2Ls will not be impressed.

retake and reapply

DworkinLikeMyDaddy

New

Post by DworkinLikeMyDaddy » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:59 pm

Rocking keg parties; lots of speculation around whether they'll start paying "mini retention bonuses" in order to get summers to return as first years.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:32 pm

It’s a step below Wachtell. Half a step below Cravath/S&C/DPW. As good or better than the rest.

Where does STB fit in?

HLS1983

New

Post by HLS1983 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:25 pm

Great firm, great people, nobody will think you're dumb for working at Skadden (as if that was even a question). You deserve to be proud of yourself.

OP - I hope this isn't part of what had you so depressed in your previous post. Skadden is a great firm and it sounds like you're killing it. I hope you found help and are feeling better.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:49 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Where does STB fit in?

“the rest”

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:48 pm

No shame in being median but social from T6

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:44 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Where does STB fit in?

“the rest”
I think most would have STB and DPW as peers

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:48 pm
FWIW, I used to work at Skadden and the name drop impressed non-lawyer girls / helped me get laid on more than one occasion. No non-lawyers know what S&C is.

This is leaning way in to the often disparaged Skadden culture, but everyone knows its true.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:30 am
Anonymous User wrote:
FWIW, I used to work at Skadden and the name drop impressed non-lawyer girls / helped me get laid on more than one occasion. No non-lawyers know what S&C is.

This is leaning way in to the often disparaged Skadden culture, but everyone knows its true.
Lol Skadden lawyers hitting on girls by telling them they work at Skadden is the most Skadden thing ever.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I used to be fairly involved with skadden recruiting (got too busy the more senior I became) and yea, target GPAs at schools are more like rough guidelines there and the hiring committee cares more about personality/fit after a certain point (obviously, low GPAs won't get you anywhere, but really personable median folks at T6s getting offers is not uncommon).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:17 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:44 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Where does STB fit in?

“the rest”
I think most would have STB and DPW as peers
lol they're all peers

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:46 pm

to OP's rather narrow (and sort of meaningless, but whatever) question: I think the top law students from top schools think of Skadden as "good" but a step below S&C and DPW, but when I've talked to law students from lower schools and we discuss various firms they've often like "I don't have the grades / whatever for Skadden". They end up at like, Dechert or whatever firms though.

When I talk to Skadden associates, I think they (unless they work in M&A) very much think Skadden is a top-tier but not top-top-tier firm in whatever they do (like, cap markets folks are like "DPW is better but we are good," etc etc --- there's always someone better, but no one thinks Skadden is like awful).

When I talk to Skadden partners, they think it's 1994 and Skadden is a name that strikes terror the opposition's heart. Boomers, man.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:46 pm
to OP's rather narrow (and sort of meaningless, but whatever) question: I think the top law students from top schools think of Skadden as "good" but a step below S&C and DPW, but when I've talked to law students from lower schools and we discuss various firms they've often like "I don't have the grades / whatever for Skadden". They end up at like, Dechert or whatever firms though.

When I talk to Skadden associates, I think they (unless they work in M&A) very much think Skadden is a top-tier but not top-top-tier firm in whatever they do (like, cap markets folks are like "DPW is better but we are good," etc etc --- there's always someone better, but no one thinks Skadden is like awful).

When I talk to Skadden partners, they think it's 1994 and Skadden is a name that strikes terror the opposition's heart. Boomers, man.
Levelheaded take. As you briefly mentioned though, Skadden is likely elite and on par with CSM/S&C for M&A and likely even a step ahead of DPW M&A.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:58 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Levelheaded take. As you briefly mentioned though, Skadden is likely elite and on par with CSM/S&C for M&A and likely even a step ahead of DPW M&A.
Skadden's public M&A practice is definitely on par with CSM's/S&C's and Skadden's PE practice outpaces CSM's/S&C's (bc neither really have noteworthy PE practices). I think you're right that it's safe to say that Skadden is a peer (and arguably a smidge ahead) of those two.

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:30 am

that Anon used the wrong "it's" makes me think this post ... isn't flame

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:43 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:58 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Skadden's public M&A practice is definitely on par with CSM's/S&C's and Skadden's PE practice outpaces CSM's/S&C's (bc neither really have noteworthy PE practices). I think you're right that it's safe to say that Skadden is a peer (and arguably a smidge ahead) of those two.
I think you are going to have a hard time convincing anyone that wholesale Skadden > CSM/S&C haha

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”