How to push back as a junior associate? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bold_train

New

How to push back as a junior associate?

Post by bold_train » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:42 pm

I'm tired y'all. My work product has fell off a cliff. Well, I'm a first year so less of a cliff and more went from a 1 story apartment to 8 feet under. I make typos and miss obvious changes. I also am late on every single assignment because I'm so exhausted and busy all the time.

How do I push back on work? People will just push stuff on me even when I tell them I'm at capacity then get mad it's late and not properly reviewed. I'm at a firm known for a good culture and people are pleasant but the work is more than I can handle. I'm fine with being a bit more aggressive as I do not want to be partner/counsel/senior associate and the market is red hot for associates in my practice area. Any advice?

Lacepiece23

Silver

Re: How to push back as a junior associate?

Post by Lacepiece23 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:23 am

Just say no to the associated you like the least. A junior associate did this to me when I was a mid level.

At the time, I didn’t realize I was bad to work for because everyone else liked working for me. When she said no, I just had to deal with it.

It’s not like I was going to go running to a partner about it. And I’m not sure the partners would even care. After you say you’re at capacity, just say no I can’t do it.

Then clean up your work product for everyone else.

almostperfectt

Bronze

Post by almostperfectt » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:19 am

Agreed with the above poster.

Another way to do it (if for whatever reason you don't just want to say no), say something like:

"I'm tied up on [X number] of pressing matters for now but I can definitely get this to you in [two to three weeks after they want it done]. Apologies for the inconvenience if that timing doesn't work"

You didn't turn down work, you just gave an accurate timeframe in which you could do it effectively. If you're hitting your hours (whatever that means in your group) then you don't have to worry about turning down work. And if they say that timing does work then there ya go, you have an assignment with a longer runway and you can manage workflow in another area to accommodate it. It won't work for everyone and others may disagree but I find it effective.

LittleRedCorvette

Bronze

Post by LittleRedCorvette » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:44 am

Just do what the juniors do in my shop -- say no and then put up an out-of-office 2-3 weekends a month. And generally turn off your computer and don't respond to emails after 6 p.m.

inmybeginning

New

Post by inmybeginning » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:49 pm

I’ve found proactive and clear communication to be helpful. E.g., rather than just telling someone you’re at capacity, explain that you are staffed on X and Y matters, you have A assignment due by B time, but you can get to their assignment by _________. The only trick with this is knowing what is *actually* more pressing, which is sometime hard to discern as a junior. Seniors and mid levels don’t know everything you’re staffed on and what your other deadlines are, so if you have decent people to work with, just explaining to them the situation can be helpful and they’re hopefully not going to ask for unreasonable things.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:30 pm

bold_train wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:42 pm
I'm tired y'all. My work product has fell off a cliff. Well, I'm a first year so less of a cliff and more went from a 1 story apartment to 8 feet under. I make typos and miss obvious changes. I also am late on every single assignment because I'm so exhausted and busy all the time.

How do I push back on work? People will just push stuff on me even when I tell them I'm at capacity then get mad it's late and not properly reviewed. I'm at a firm known for a good culture and people are pleasant but the work is more than I can handle. I'm fine with being a bit more aggressive as I do not want to be partner/counsel/senior associate and the market is red hot for associates in my practice area. Any advice?
Just be honest. Say that you are unfortunately at capacity and won't be able to help. To make that message land better, make clear that you are interested in the work, regretful that you can't take it on, and that they should definitely come to you the next time they have work that needs to be done.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:31 pm

As I’ve become more senior and started to be in the position of assigning or delegating work, I’m impressed by how certain junior associates have learned to basically tell me ever so politely to go fuck myself. And they do so with relative impunity. What I didn’t fully realize when I was younger is that there’s basically nothing someone in my position can or will do when a junior says he or she is too busy, and the only consequence is that they ‘lose out’ on the opportunity to work on whatever matter I’m trying to assign, which often probably isn’t much of a loss. I’d never go rat to the partner that so-and-so isn’t pulling his or her weight.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:31 pm
As I’ve become more senior and started to be in the position of assigning or delegating work, I’m impressed by how certain junior associates have learned to basically tell me ever so politely to go fuck myself. And they do so with relative impunity. What I didn’t fully realize when I was younger is that there’s basically nothing someone in my position can or will do when a junior says he or she is too busy, and the only consequence is that they ‘lose out’ on the opportunity to work on whatever matter I’m trying to assign, which often probably isn’t much of a loss. I’d never go rat to the partner that so-and-so isn’t pulling his or her weight.
This is the only way the culture can change to be honest.

And they’re right. Firms are throwing money at people and still failing to retain.

Sorry you’re stuck in between a rock (unreasonable partners) and a hard place (reasonable juniors). Before I left I always said yes to work because I couldn’t stomach the fact that anything I turned down would just go to someone else on my overworked team, so I appreciate it puts you in a tough place.

But OP, the lesson here is probably to be an asshole. I burnt out and left because I couldn’t say no. Tell someone no, and tell them no. And if they tell you “I don’t care if you’re billing 2600 because I’m billing 2700 so just do it” fuck them, say no again.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:20 am

Not to hijack the thread, but most of the responses assume it is mid levels assigning the work or trying to staff matters.

Is it equally acceptable to tell partners you are at capacity? I was on track earlier this year to bill over 3k hours and just couldn’t do it anymore. I’ve been turning down work like crazy ever sense. Am I shooting myself in the foot by doing so? All of the partners keep coming back and trying to staff me though…

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:34 am

Different anon and also sorry to hijack but is it more typical for juniors to be given work from seniors or from partners? I'm a stub year so I'm clueless but I've been given to understand that I will be given work by partners, is this unusual?

DetectiveT

New

Post by DetectiveT » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:43 am

It really does not matter how you are given assignments. As a senior, I run all of my deals and only bring material issues to partners, so yes you likely will see an assignment from me. But if you push back multiple times, I will raise it with the partners.
Sure you need your work life balance but I am on track for billing 3800 hours so unless you are billing more than 70 hours, I need you to work so long as we are paying you.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:34 am
Different anon and also sorry to hijack but is it more typical for juniors to be given work from seniors or from partners? I'm a stub year so I'm clueless but I've been given to understand that I will be given work by partners, is this unusual?
Depends on your practice area and how leveraged your group is. Not necessarily unusual.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:39 pm

It's OK if you're on track to hit your target or well above it. Otherwise, you're asking to be stealthed.

Peeved midlevels/seniors will narc on you to partners.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:09 pm

To the person who said “if you aren’t billing 70 hours a week, you shouldn’t be turning down work”, this is horrific advice and you’d do well to avoid people like this at your practice. Staffing is a partner problem, not an associate problem. Put differently, you shouldn’t feel like you are responsible for making up the difference if the partners don’t have enough associates to do the work. So long as you are meeting the expectations that were communicated to you when you were hired (which is typically 1950-2200 hours), you shouldn’t ever feel obliged to take on more work.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:42 pm

DetectiveT wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:43 am
It really does not matter how you are given assignments. As a senior, I run all of my deals and only bring material issues to partners, so yes you likely will see an assignment from me. But if you push back multiple times, I will raise it with the partners.
Sure you need your work life balance but I am on track for billing 3800 hours so unless you are billing more than 70 hours, I need you to work so long as we are paying you.
You suck

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:09 pm
To the person who said “if you aren’t billing 70 hours a week, you shouldn’t be turning down work”, this is horrific advice and you’d do well to avoid people like this at your practice. Staffing is a partner problem, not an associate problem. Put differently, you shouldn’t feel like you are responsible for making up the difference if the partners don’t have enough associates to do the work. So long as you are meeting the expectations that were communicated to you when you were hired (which is typically 1950-2200 hours), you shouldn’t ever feel obliged to take on more work.
I’m not exactly defending this. But I do think this is firm dependent. If that’s the expectation then that’s the expectation. Find a new firm.

And I do know what it’s like to be billing a ton and have a junior turn down work so you have to do it. It sucks.

On the other hand, I really wish I turned down work as a junior more. So there’s that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:19 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:11 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I’m not exactly defending this. But I do think this is firm dependent. If that’s the expectation then that’s the expectation. Find a new firm.

And I do know what it’s like to be billing a ton and have a junior turn down work so you have to do it. It sucks.

On the other hand, I really wish I turned down work as a junior more. So there’s that.
I would think it also depends on the communication when hiring. If you tell people that they are expected to bill 2000, then you can't really expect them to be OK with 3000. Maybe 2200, 2400, but not more. Personally, I was a 3L hire and was expressly told to expect hard hours, so I took the job under those terms and will not say no until I really need to.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

daedalus2309

Bronze

Post by daedalus2309 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:22 am

“I’m billing 3800” is such a flame.

If you’re going to lie to seem cool about your dumb career choice at least choose something believable. Clearly your juniors can sense your lack of spine and are dominating u

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:18 am

Two thoughts here.

First, for the junior: I typically say "I have X assignment due for Y person due at Z time, and assignment A due for person B at C time [repeat as needed], so I unfortunately do not have the capacity to take this on. If you would like me to ask Y or B if their assignments can be pushed back, I'm happy to." Then, if asked, you go to Y or B and say, "Person 1 asked if we could move that assignment back. Could you coordinate with them regarding which assignment should be my priority?" Then let them deal with it.

Second, for the assigning associate: If a junior tells you no multiple times, you should go to a partner and tell them. Not because you're telling on them, but because the partner needs to know that they should consider bringing on new people. If everything gets done by the time the partner needs it (even if that means that you're billing 3k+), why would they ever hire more people? They need to know if people are at capacity. If they're never told, you're never going to get help.

bold_train

New

Post by bold_train » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:57 am

Lacepiece23 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:11 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

That's part of the problem. If I just say no, we never go back to the partner to say hey this is not really feasible. The mid-level will just pull crazy hours to get it done for something that won't end up getting reviewed by the partner for multiple days. I guess it makes sense since my priorities are to stay alive for another year or two while they want to make partner. Still though, it sucks that I can never log off by 10 PM because I will be screwing over someone else. TBH when I am working directly with a partner, I have no issues asking for extensions for things that don't seem to be time sensitive.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:07 pm

gregfootball2001 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:18 am
Two thoughts here.

First, for the junior: I typically say "I have X assignment due for Y person due at Z time, and assignment A due for person B at C time [repeat as needed], so I unfortunately do not have the capacity to take this on. If you would like me to ask Y or B if their assignments can be pushed back, I'm happy to." Then, if asked, you go to Y or B and say, "Person 1 asked if we could move that assignment back. Could you coordinate with them regarding which assignment should be my priority?" Then let them deal with it.

Second, for the assigning associate: If a junior tells you no multiple times, you should go to a partner and tell them. Not because you're telling on them, but because the partner needs to know that they should consider bringing on new people. If everything gets done by the time the partner needs it (even if that means that you're billing 3k+), why would they ever hire more people? They need to know if people are at capacity. If they're never told, you're never going to get help.
Earlier anon here. Regarding the second piece, I agree, and in that situation I’ll inform the partner that we weren’t able to get any help, and therefore need more time or more staffing. I’m not just going to do everyone’s work for them when it’s ultimately the partner’s problem (or really the client’s). But I won’t go complain to the partner that second-year Jeff always tells me he’s too busy for this doc review when I know from his insta stories that he’s spent half the summer at Gurney’s or the cape. It’s not my job to play firm policeman.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:48 pm

DetectiveT wrote:
Nerd.

mardash

Bronze

Post by mardash » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:57 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:42 pm
DetectiveT wrote:
You suck
What a bootlicking nerd.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”