what kind of grades do you need for biglaw IP litigation Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

what kind of grades do you need for biglaw IP litigation

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:29 pm

how competitive is IP lit? i gather it's less competitive than appellate but maybe more than general lit? more competitive than white collar? anyone know?

edit: assuming you have some science undergrad

almostperfectt

Bronze

Re: what kind of grades do you need for biglaw IP litigation

Post by almostperfectt » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:50 pm

Do you mean a specific IP lit firm or just general biglaw?

I don't have an answer but I imagine if it's an IP lit group in biglaw you just need the same grades as everyone else to get an offer.

Also depends on what school you're at

mardash

Bronze

Post by mardash » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:52 pm

Same answer as the above, but you may be able to get in the door easier if you have an engineering degree, or advanced degree in life sciences.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:59 pm

With B.S. Eng. or life sciences grad, less competitive than generic big law lit. Without such degrees, probably more competitive than generic big law lit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:23 pm

In my experience, IP lit with any life science or engineering degree (no grad degree required, even for life sciences) is easier to get than gen lit with the same credentials. My sample size is limited to the handful of IP folks I knew well enough in law school to know their grades, but most of us got 1L summer big law IP offers and all of us got 2L IP offers despite grades at median or just above. Generally, my IP offers were at higher ranked vault firms than my non IP offers and I was often below the target GPA band that my school listed for the firm. I even had an interview with a V10 firm for IP lit where the partner looked at my grades mid interview and said "...well, at least you are consistent" since my grades were just barely above median. I got the offer. That being said, EE and CS folks are substantially more in demand than life sciences people.

If you want to do life sciences IP prosecution, you will typically need an advanced degree though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:59 pm
With B.S. Eng. or life sciences grad, less competitive than generic big law lit. Without such degrees, probably more competitive than generic big law lit.
dang okay so with just a BS in bio or chem, probably need better grades than you would need for general litigation

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”