Where to Live in NJ for Midtown Biglaw? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Where to Live in NJ for Midtown Biglaw?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:25 pm

Hi, all. I am graduating in '22 and will have to move to the NYC area for my job. I come from a pretty rural area and want to be away from the big city life. I really don't mind a long commute (especially with WFH policies being pretty lax). Any recommendations for NJ towns that have a midwest/rural feel? (I know none will likely come close but just looking for as close as I can get). Thanks!

BigRed2019

New

Re: Where to Live in NJ for Midtown Biglaw?

Post by BigRed2019 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:17 pm

No shortage of suburban towns with trains that run direct(ish) to Penn Station or busses to Port Authority.

For trains, if you open the NJ transit map you'll see trains from the north route through Secaucus and anything from the south or west gets routed through Newark. I believe most of these are a one-seat commute to NYP.

General rule of thumb: the further you get from NYC, the more rural it will be. Too many towns to list but happy to get into more detail over PM.

As a first year, I'd be wary of living too far out and having a lengthy commute. It's not just the time, it's the amount of work that will stack up on you. Many of these towns will be over an hour each way, even if everything is running smoothly.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:29 pm

I really don't mind a long commute
Are you sure? If you're not already familiar with the NYC metro (which you aren't, if you're asking this question) I'd just bite the bullet and live in Manhattan/Brooklyn, near a subway line, your first year. Start looking for a house to buy immediately, if you want to get to the burbs ASAP, but the first year is going to be a big adjustment. Knowing the car service will get you home in 20-30 mins makes it way less shitty to be stuck in the office late at night.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:36 pm

How come you’re searching in NJ only? What about NY (northern Westchester or Putnam counties) or CT? IDK much about Long Island.

IMO, no town that has a rail connection to NYC will have a “midwest/rural“ vibe.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:17 pm

Spots like Rahway may be the closest to what you’re looking for

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:36 pm
How come you’re searching in NJ only? What about NY (northern Westchester or Putnam counties) or CT? IDK much about Long Island.

IMO, no town that has a rail connection to NYC will have a “midwest/rural“ vibe.
Not strictly true, but might as well be. I grew up in a Jersey area with a distinctly rural vibe (though it was definitely not the Midwest!), and there was an easy connection to the city. Only problem was it took an hour and 45 minutes door to door :).

OP I agree with others that you should really live in the city your first year. If you develop a good reputation and a good feel for their WFH policies and feel like you can move to the burbs/exurbs after that, then that’s great, but it would be a big risk your first year.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Post by blackmamba8 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:05 am

I think Maplewood has a not terrible train commute into the city

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:14 am

You can also consider Hoboken or Jersey City, for what it's worth. I'm in JC and depending on where your office is, the PATH/ferry could have you there faster than some colleagues who live in NYC.

It's also easier to have a car and escape to more rural areas on weekends.

And you get to avoid the NYC resident tax.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:20 am

blackmamba8 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:05 am
Maplewood is not at all rural though. I guess it would be less of a shock to OP than Brooklyn.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:14 am
You can also consider Hoboken or Jersey City, for what it's worth. I'm in JC and depending on where your office is, the PATH/ferry could have you there faster than some colleagues who live in NYC.

It's also easier to have a car and escape to more rural areas on weekends.

And you get to avoid the NYC resident tax.
Hoboken/JC are definitely the popular Hudson County options for young professionals, but definitely are more of an urban/city vibe (at least in Downtown Jersey City). Weehawken (up on the bluffs) actually has a lot more of a suburban feel for Hudson county (not like a Maplewood, Montclair, Summit, etc. and definitely not rural, but there are houses with actual yards and nice views of the city). Definitely a bit more of an off-the radar option, but your money will go further than Hoboken/JC and the commute is actually faster to midtown via bus/ferry/car home in the evening.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:23 pm

An apartment in close proximity to a ferry that lands at 39th/12th in the link below with some regularity might work. I know a few folks who seemed to like it as first years.

https://www.nywaterway.com/MidtownW39thTerminal.aspx

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:15 pm

To piggyback, anyone have similar recommendations if working in FiDi? Is a commute around an hourish or so doable?

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:26 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:05 am
I just moved to South Orange, which is right next to Maplewood. And one of the reasons is the short commute. The express train runs direct in only 30 minutes to Penn Station. Plus Maplewood and South Orange are great towns, and there are tons of folks who came there from NYC since it has many of the things they liked the most about the city.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

notinbiglaw

Bronze

Post by notinbiglaw » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:38 am

This is almost entirely dictated by what your midtown location is close to. For example, if you’re near 30 Rock, going from Port Authority to 30 rock adds a lot to your commute.

Look at the major transport hubs within a few minutes of your work place and go from there.

Anytime you rely on the bus, you have to leave pretty early to account for potential traffic. That is such an issue you have associates planning to arrive in Manhattan by 6:30 so they skip gym instead of arrive at work late if traffic is bad. This is a bigger issue when you’re coming in from NJ.

notinbiglaw

Bronze

Post by notinbiglaw » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:15 pm
To piggyback, anyone have similar recommendations if working in FiDi? Is a commute around an hourish or so doable?
On weekdays, PATH will get you to WTC station from Newark in less than 40 minutes. Under 20 minutes from Newport.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Post by Pomeranian » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:54 am

If you're considering NJ, might as well consider Westchester/Fairfield as well. Express trains from places like White Plains are 30 minutes to Grand Central (Midtown).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”