Late unexpected offer - reneg? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Late unexpected offer - reneg?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:16 am

3L here seeking advice on a bit of an unusual situation. Had an offer from a V50 with a deadline yesterday while waiting to hear from another V50, which knew about the deadline. Yesterday I accepted the first offer - it was late in the day and I assumed that the second firm was going to be no (in my experience, it's usually bad news when you're still waiting on the day of the deadline). Late last night (several hours after COB), I got an offer from the second firm. For various reasons, I think I would have accepted the second had I gotten it sooner. How bad of a look would it be to reneg so soon?

Could provide firm details in a PM if anyone is willing.

cheaptilts

Silver

Re: Late unexpected offer - reneg?

Post by cheaptilts » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:36 am

Just renege. Do it as soon as possible. The longer you wait the more awkward it will be. Don’t think too hard about this. It’s your future, not some random corporate entity’s. Go where you want. The longer you wait the more of a jerk you will appear, however. So you should just do it today.

Buglaw

Bronze

Post by Buglaw » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:16 am
3L here seeking advice on a bit of an unusual situation. Had an offer from a V50 with a deadline yesterday while waiting to hear from another V50, which knew about the deadline. Yesterday I accepted the first offer - it was late in the day and I assumed that the second firm was going to be no (in my experience, it's usually bad news when you're still waiting on the day of the deadline). Late last night (several hours after COB), I got an offer from the second firm. For various reasons, I think I would have accepted the second had I gotten it sooner. How bad of a look would it be to reneg so soon?

I'd just reneg. People will be pissed for a bit, but likely won't have an effect on you going forward (except you probably will have trouble lateralling to reneged firm in the future).

Just so you know, offer deadlines are bullshit. In the future, just tell them you need an extension. Also, in the future, follow up with said job you are interested in to remind. This is a totally avoidable situation and a learning experience for you and the others on this forum who weren't aware that offer deadlines aren't real.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:56 am

cheaptilts wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:36 am
Just renege. Do it as soon as possible. The longer you wait the more awkward it will be. Don’t think too hard about this. It’s your future, not some random corporate entity’s. Go where you want. The longer you wait the more of a jerk you will appear, however. So you should just do it today.
OP. Appreciate the response. Think I'll take this advice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:59 am

Buglaw wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:53 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:16 am

I'd just reneg. People will be pissed for a bit, but likely won't have an effect on you going forward (except you probably will have trouble lateralling to reneged firm in the future).

Just so you know, offer deadlines are bullshit. In the future, just tell them you need an extension. Also, in the future, follow up with said job you are interested in to remind. This is a totally avoidable situation and a learning experience for you and the others on this forum who weren't aware that offer deadlines aren't real.
Appreciate this. Definitely learned a lesson here. FWIW, the second firm called me the night before the deadline just to confirm that the next day was the deadline and that they'd have an answer the next day ...thought that was strange. And, maybe stupidly, thought that was another sign it was a no.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:26 pm

Is it intentional that firms sometimes wait until the last minute to offer?

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:26 pm
No. OP was almost certainly on a waitlist. The firm was waiting on a candidate to accept/decline the offer and that candidate was probably given a deadline of yesterday.

It happens. Late offers shouldn’t decrease enthusiasm in a firm, however. They can only give out so many offers and see so many strong candidates in a given year. Wouldn’t put much stock into the fact that,eg, a classmate receives an offer from a firm two weeks before you do notwithstanding you interviewed on the same day.

enibs

Bronze

Post by enibs » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:04 pm

cheaptilts wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:37 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:26 pm
No. OP was almost certainly on a waitlist. The firm was waiting on a candidate to accept/decline the offer and that candidate was probably given a deadline of yesterday.

It happens. Late offers shouldn’t decrease enthusiasm in a firm, however. They can only give out so many offers and see so many strong candidates in a given year. Wouldn’t put much stock into the fact that,eg, a classmate receives an offer from a firm two weeks before you do notwithstanding you interviewed on the same day.
Agree with this. Once you’re in, no one remembers that you were the last offer (or one of the last offers). And they wouldn’t give you an offer, even a late offer, if they didn’t want you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”